1. Highbury College Library Service Tips for Teachers 15th June 2011
2. There is a college library at each of the three main Highbury campusHighbury Campus HCPC (ground floor) Northarbour(1st floor, East Wing) (1st floor)
3. Highbury Campus Library • Stock relevant to subjects taught on site • Books and periodicals • DVDs, CD-ROMs and audio CDs • Computers with Internet access • Wi-Fi enabled • Fiction collection • Newspapers • Nursery Collection • Quiet study area • H.E. study area
4. Northarbour Library • Stock relevant to subjects taught on site • Books and periodicals • DVDs and CD-ROMs • Computers with Internet access, 10 on the ground floor of the library and 18 on the mezzanine floor • Wi-Fi enabled • Specialist e-resources for construction and the built environment (see library staff for detailed information) • Small fiction collection
5. Highbury City of Portsmouth Centre Library • Stock relevant to subjects taught on site and at Highbury Arundel centre • Books and periodicals • DVDs, CD-ROMs and audio CDs • Computers with Internet access • Wi-Fi enabled • Fiction collection • Newspapers • Nursery Collection
6. Library Services• Joining the library is free of charge. To obtain a library card, please visit any of the three library sites• Staff can borrow up to 26 items of various media at a time. Borrowed items can be renewed twice, unless reserved by another reader.• Our online catalogue of library stock (Heritage) is available through MyCourse• Reservations and inter-library loans• Colour and black & white photocopying and printing• Recording of television programmes from Freeview channels; these are then uploaded to MyTube.
7. Book and stationery sales• Students and staff are able to purchase books and stationery at any of the college libraries• Books can also be purchased via the college’s online bookstore, powered by Amazon: www.highbury.ac.uk/bookshop• The library should be used to place book orders for your department• 10% discount offered to staff and students on books bought• Books need to be ordered, but most arrive within two weeks• Each library sells a range of stationery at competitive prices, and Highbury Campus library also sells birthday cards and stamps
8. Support for your classes• Each library has a budget to spend on subject resources• The library will request a course reading / resource list from you to ensure the resources your students need are available• Library staff deliver inductions and training sessions for students, please contact your site librarian to book these sessions• Librarians aid the Learning Technology Team in uploading relevant e-resources to MyCourse and can create new MyCourse pages for staff• The library is your first point of call if students have problems logging in to the computers• Library contact details: • General library enquiries: email@example.com • Librarian: firstname.lastname@example.org
9. How you can help the library service• Please return resources you have borrowed on time, to allow other library users to borrow them• Please support library staff in chasing students for fines and non-return of resources• If students continually misbehave in the library, library staff will report this behaviour to tutors. Please support library staff in dealing with these matters.• Please provide library staff with a reading list for your course
10. Library resources on MyCourse The college library provides online learning materials on MyCourse. After logging in students and staff will see the library block, which has links to • The library catalogue • MyTube (Highbury’s visual media platform) • Online book ordering service • PC booking (for individual students only) • MySearch (includes access to e-journals)
11. MyLibraryThe MyLibrary page has a link to course reading lists, the library onlinebook club, referencing information and library guides.
12. E-resourcesClick on the library catalogue link to access the library’s growing e-bookcollections, newspaper databases, online encyclopaedias and much moreIf you would like further training for yourself or your students on usingany library e-resource please contact your site library
13. Any Questions?Please remember that the library staff are here to help.If you have any further questions about the service please visit the libraryat your site and staff will be happy to help