65-67 Ramona Street
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

65-67 Ramona Street

on

  • 710 views

The history of 65-67 Ramona Street, San Francisco

The history of 65-67 Ramona Street, San Francisco

Statistics

Views

Total Views
710
Views on SlideShare
704
Embed Views
6

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0

2 Embeds 6

http://househistories.wordpress.com 3
https://twitter.com 3

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Adobe PDF

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

65-67 Ramona Street 65-67 Ramona Street Presentation Transcript

  • 65/67 Ramona StreetA Household History Compiled for Liz Goodman and Mike Kuniavsky by Stacy Kozakavich
  • Before Ramona StreetThe Mission Dolores Neighborhood 1850-1906 From Louis Nagel’s “Mission Dolores, San Francisco, [California] 1860, from the Potrero Nuevo.” Collection of The Bancroft Library
  • The Mission District, Before 1850 Approximate location of 65/67 Ramona St. 16th St. Dolo Gue res S rrero t. St.“Mission Dolores, Looking Toward San Francisco”, by William H. Dougal, 1850In the centuries before Spanish, Mexican, and American settlement in San Francisco, Miwok-Ohlonean speakers built villages and harvested acorns and shellfish for the base of their varieddiet.The Mission San Francisco de Asís was the first Euro-American anchor of what later becameSan Francisco’s Mission District. It was established near the Laguna de Nuestra Señora delos Dolores in 1776. In the first two decades of the 19th century the mission stretched fromat least Church Street to Guerrero Street and 15th Street to 18th Street. Fields and orchardssurrounded this central core to the east and west and a neophyte village, with as many as100 cabins for Native American residents, was set apart from the residences of the Fathersand guards. By the end of the 1820s, the mission population had dropped drastically and itsbuildings were falling into ruin.An 1850 sketch of Mission Dolores (above), viewing to the northeast in the direction of SanFrancisco, shows the area of the future Ramona Street to be mostly undeveloped and scrubby-looking, with fenced pasture on the level areas. A trail connecting the Mission to the growingsettlement of San Francisco appears to have gone through what later became the 67 Ramonalot. 65/67 Ramona - Page 4
  • The Mission District, 1853As San Francisco grew following the 1848American annexation of California andthe discovery of gold at Sutter’s Mill, theMission Dolores area gradually transformedfrom the autonomous village it hadbeen in previous decades to an outlyingneighborhood of the growing city. This1853 U.S. Coast Survey map shows that thelocation of 67-65 Ramona was north of themain Mission compound, near the base ofa large undeveloped hill extending to thenorthwest. 1853 U.S. Coast Survey Map 65/67 Ramona - Page 5
  • The Mission District, 1869 Market street later bisected the hill north of the Mission, and developers cut and filled slopes on neighborhood blocks to achieve more level surfaces. By 1869, the trails leading between the Mission and San Francisco became a planned grid of blocks and roads - at least in the imagination of city planners and residents. Much of the area surrounding the former mission was still relatively open space occupied by small agricultural holdings.1869 U.S. Coast Survey Map 65/67 Ramona - Page 6
  • The Mission District, 1874By the 1870s, residential and industrialbuildings were filling in the old fieldsand gardens. However, vestiges of theneighborhood’s agricultural history lingeredamidst the working class housing, lumberyards, and commercial buildings until theend of the 19th century. 1874 City Map of San Francisco 65/67 Ramona - Page 7
  • Mission Block 28, 1889Sanborn Fire Insurance Map - San Francisco Sheet 70, 1889 In 1889, only a few houses faced onto the streets surrounding the block which is now Ramona Street. The lot later occupied by 65/67 was in the middle of a large patch of “Vegetable Garden.” Peculiar in the Mission neighborhood to this block and the ones directly to the east and south, these large gardens were likely tended by Chinese growers who sold to local merchants and households. Through the mid-late 19th century, these vegetable growers were among those most active supporters for construction of a plank road between the agricultural areas surrounding the old Mission to markets in the growing city of San Francisco (San Francisco Planning Department 2007:25, 45)Photo in collection of California Historical Society 65/67 Ramona - Page 8
  • Mission Block 28, 1894The earliest available land ownership document for the blockcontaining today’s Ramona Street is the property map from an1894 assessor’s block book for San Francisco. At this time, the blockwas divided primarily into large north-south strips, appropriate insize for industrial use, with only a few smaller residential parcelsin the southeast corner. The parcel that was later subdivided tobecome the east side of Ramona Street belonged to capitalistFrederick Hagemann, and the parcel that would become thestreet to Hagemann and the estate of Claus Mangels. Hagemannand Mangels were broadly involved in San Francisco’s industrialdevelopment. Among other ventures, they were early trustees withClaus and Peter Spreckels in The California Sugar Refinery. Hicks-Judd 1894 Handy Block Book for San Francisco, page 374 65/67 Ramona - Page 9
  • Mission Block 28, The Hagemann Family San Francisco Chronicle, March 31, 1915 By September of 1909, ownership of the parcel owned by F. Hagemann (see page 5) had transferred to Adolph and Amelia F. Hagemann, the son and widow of the deceased millionaire. At the time of its residential subdivision in 1911, the legal owners of the parcel were Adolph Hagemann and his new wife, the actress Maud Odell, whom he had married in Denver, Colorado in 1909 to the great interest of San Francisco Call readers (see article at left). Maude Odell returned to the stage soon after her marriage, and continued acting until her death in New York City in 1937. The Hagemann family met with considerable tragedy in the following decade, as Adolph died in a hunting accident in Monterey in 1914, and his mother, Amelia, committed suicide in her own Hotel Waldo in Santa Cruz in March, 1915 (San Francisco Chronicle, March 31, 1915) San Francisco Call, February 19, 1909 65/67 Ramona - Page 10
  • Mission Block 28, 1899 From 1897 - 1900, Hagemann’s parcel was occupied by the stables and grading camp of the Buckman Contracting Co., with utility buildings and a lodging house clustered at the northern edge of the parcel near a large stable (the building with the “X” over the roof). The contracting company used this location to store and repair equipment, stable draft animals, and feed and house temporary laborers. Buckman’s camp relocated here after their previous camp at Waller and Steiner was deemed unsanitary and was ordered to move by the San Francisco Health Officer (San Francisco Call, August 23, 1896). Buckman’s workers may not have cleaned up their camp in this new location - they just had fewer middle-class residential neighbors to complain about the noise and smell. The Market Street Planing Mill and Lumber Yard to the northwest across Dolores and 14th, the Chinese camp and vegetable gardens across Guerrero to the east, bocce ball courts on this and neighboring blocks, and rental houses interspersed with “vacant,” “ruined” or “dilapidated” buildings on neighboring blocks lent a mixed industrial and working-class residential character to the neighborhood.San Francisco Crocker-Langley City Directory, 1899Page 342. Sanborn Fire Insurance Map - San Francisco Sheet 201, 1899 65/67 Ramona - Page 11
  • The Devastation of 1906 S t. rero Guer 14th St. Dolores St. Clinton Park View south down Dolores Street from Market Street , 1906, California State Library Much of the northern part of the Mission Dolores neighborhood was destroyed by the April 1906 earthquake and fire, with the blocks between Valencia and Dolores Streets as far south as 20th Street devastated by the flames. In photos taken soon after the disaster, few buildings remain on the blocks east of Dolores Street. Piles of rubble and scattered temporary shacks pictured in these photos are now part of the fill beneath today’s homes and businesses of Ramona and neighboring streets. 65/67 Ramona - Page 12
  • The Devastation of 1906 14th St. 14th St. 15th St. . St ro r re ue GArrows on map above show the approximate camera . location and direction of the photos at right. 15th St. St roMap: “Map of part of San Francisco, California, April 18, 1908: r reshowing buildings constructed and buildings under construction ue during two years after fire of April 18, 1906,” UCLA Library GPhotos: View northwest from 14th Street and Guerrero Street towardClinton Park and view northwest from 15th Street and GuerreroStreet across Ramona St. block 1906. California Historical Society 65/67 Ramona - Page 13
  • Ramona in the 20th CenturyThe Neighborhood 1911-1996 From “North on Guerrero St. between 15th and 16th Sts. Feb. 1928.” Collection of The Bancroft Library
  • New Flats on Ramona StreetSan Francisco Call, October 11, 1911A massive effort to provide new housing and services in the Mission District following the 1906earthquake and fire led to a boom in construction. By 1914, as shown in the Sanborn FireInsurance Map at right, most of the lots on Ramona Street were occupied by 2-family homes.Ramona Street itself was formed from lands owned together by the Hagemann and Mangelsfamilies. The Hagemann family and their agents subdivided their own parcel on the easternside of Ramona Street, and sold the land to individual owners prior to building. The Mangelsfamily agents subivided the western side of Ramona Street and built homes before selling theproperties, as seen in their October 1, 1911 San Francisco Call advertisement above. The ad’semphasis on short hallways and adjoined living and dining room spaces is in direct contrastto the older narrow flat style exemplified by 65/67 Ramona. By 1914, the west side of thestreet was almost fully developed with only 2 lots still vacant. Five vacant lots on the east sideof the street may indicate the slower progress of a less intensive property selling and buildingcampaign undertaken by the Hagemann family’s agents.Though Ramona Street was fully residential in 1914, in contrast to the horticultural andindustrial uses of the block before the earthquake and fire, the surrounding neighborhood wasstill mixed in character. The Leonard Lumber Co. sheds and office were directly across 15th tothe south of Ramona Street, and the Matt C. McElerham and Spencer St. planing mills were inthe same block to the south of the lumber yard. A contractor’s storage yard and stable was justacross 14th Street to the north. When residents of Ramona Street stepped outside their frontdoors and looked up and down the street, they would see and hear the booming constructionindustry just beyond their residential enclave.According to 1920 and 1930 U.S. Census data, most households on Ramona Street consistedof a nuclear family in each unit of the 2-6-unit buildings on the street. A few families also hadextended family members or non-family lodgers in their households. The homes along RamonaStreet represent an eclectic mixture of architectural styles, but the predominance of two-familyresidential units with integrated, ground-floor garages built between 1911 and 1923 constitutea potentially National Register eligible historic district (San Francisco Planning Department2005, page 45). Exterior alterations to most buildings since the initial period of constructionhave been minimal, and as such the integrity of Ramona Street’s historic character is good. Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, San Francisco Sheet 665, 1914 65/67 Ramona - Page 16
  • The Neighborhood Reconstructed The dramatically increased residential density in the neighborhood created a need for new services for local residents. A few of these built in the vicinity of Ramona Street by 1911 included health care facilities, a child care center, and a baseball park. The Mary’s Help Hospital at the corner of Guerrero and Clinton Park offered care at reduced fees to the poor, and included a large maternity ward. As seen in the article below, however, some women in the neighborhood still sought care from private, and potentially dangerous sources. Baseball fans could watch the San Francisco Seals play at Recreation Park at 15th and Valencia between 1907 and 1930. The Holy Family Day Home, which still operates at the northeast corner of Dolores Street and 16th Street, served the needs of working mothers of pre-school aged children.Map from “The Chevalier Commercial Pictorial and Tourist Map” of San Francisco, 1911 San Francisco Chronicle, Nov. 28, 1915 65/67 Ramona - Page 17
  • 20th-Century DemographyMany working class San Franciscans whose South of Market homes had been destroyed in the 1906 earthquakeand fire relocated to new developments in the Mission Dolores neighborhood through the subsequentyears of neighborhood reconstruction. The neighborhood character was then, and for decades remained,predominantly working class until the influx of technology professionals in the early 1990s.Most Ramona Street men worked as skilled laborers or tradesmen in the early decades of the 20th century.The first recorded resident of #67 Ramona Street was machinist, Malcolm Vance, who resided there in 1912.The first family of #65 Ramona was that of printer and lino operator, Louis Muir, in 1913 and 1914. In1920, Hippolyte Cauwet, in #65, worked as a superintendent at the F. Thomas Parisian Cleaning and DyeingWorks. In the same year, Christopher Merchant of #67 was a building contractor. In 1930, Howard Knollof #65 was a shipping clerk at a candy factory, and John Boland was a laborer. Among the street’s other maleresidents in these years was a glass blower, ‘packer,’ auto dealer, miner, veterinary surgeon, chiropodist, janitor,fireman, stevedore, laundry driver, auto mechanic, accountant, liquor merchant, iron worker, bookkeeper, andlaborer.Though women of #65 and #67 Ramona Street; Marguerite Cauwet, Thora Merchant, Marie Knoll, andTessie Boland; have no listed occupations in 1920 and 1930, many other women on the block contributedeconomically to their families by working outside the home. In 1920 these included a grocer (age 44), adecorator for Pacific Novelty (age 17), a bank bookkeeper (27), a wrapper in a dyeing company (32), a laundryworker (34), and a worker in an overall factory (24). One woman was the head of her own household, a NewYork-born unmarried music teacher (42), who owned #69 Ramona Ave. and lived there with her 75 year old,German-born mother. Working women in 1930 included two bank clerks (ages 18 and 23), an office clerk (23),a “marker” at a Dryer & Cleaner (18), and a hospital “janitress” (41).After the Bolands and Knolls left Ramona Street in the 1950s, #65 and #67 continued to be occupied byskilled tradesmen, laborers, and clerical workers. In 1958, William Holster of #65 was a carpenter, and ChrisCarlsen, the owner and resident of #67, was a steel worker. In 1962, Rodney Welch of #67 was a machinist.John Simmons, of #65 in 1964, was an office worker. Rafael Baca, of #67 was a surgery assistant in 1966.Hector Valenzuela, who lived in #65 between 1968 and 1972, was a dye specialist at a bridal-wear shop. JuanCoto, an electrician, lived in #67 from 1969 to 1984.Ramona Street’s residents reflected the broad change seen in many parts of the Mission District through the1990s, as young technology workers at the leading edge of the Internet boom years moved to San Francisco.Jonathan Steuer, who lived in #67 between 1991 and 1997, led the growth of the Cyborganic communitywhich combined the company’s offices with a residential group sharing technological and social interests. Theproject started upstairs in #67 in 1991, expanding to include the residents of #65 in 1993, #59 (next door) and#80/82 (across the street) in 1994, and 1834-1836 15th Street (on the corner) in 1995. From 1995, “ThursdayNight Dinners” hosted at #65/67 connected the Cyborganic group to a broader community of like minds.Jenny Cool describes the growth of the Ramona residential group in her 2008 doctoral dissertation: The housemates at 67 Ramona, single and in their mid-twenties, made a conscious choice to live communally, sharing groceries, household chores and expenses, and social lives. Having lived before in groups that shared nothing but the rent, they decided to create a household where food in the refrigerator was not labeled as personal property, and residents did not simply come and go, as if living in a hotel. Their Ramona Avenue apartment became a gathering place for young techies, ravers, and artists in the City’s burgeoning rave and multimedia scenes. When neighbors moved out of the apartment below (65 Ramona), the household expanded, adding two new members, and beginning the process through which more than thirty community members moved into apartments on the street as they came up for rent over the next few years. Each new apartment was connected to the group’s local computer network via Ethernet cable run- ning over rooftops and across the street. (Cool 2008, page 212).In 1996, the Cyborganic offices moved away from Ramona Street, though some of the telecommunicationsinfrastructure still remains in the basement of #65/67. No obvious evidence exists to show the reported useof #65’s kitchen as a server room. 65/67 Ramona - Page 18
  • 20th-Century DemographyA predominance of Irish-Americans and Irish immigrants among the first residents of thereconstructed Mission District after the 1906 earthquake and fire created what is popularly seenas the neighborhood’s early 20th century ethnic character. Between 1906 and 1940, the mixtureof German, Irish, Scandinavian, and American immigrants living as neighbors in the districtapparently led to the development of a Mission “accent” heard only in the neighborhood (SanFrancisco Planning Department 2005, page 31). Its working class, primarily Euro-Americancharacter was relatively stable until the Second World War, when wartime industrial workersmoved into the dense residential areas of the Mission during the 1940s. These migrant workers- including many African-Americans from the southeastern United States - were a first wave of20th-century population change in the neighborhood, and were followed by Hispanic familiesfrom Mexico and Central America through the 1950s, as well as Asian immigrant families inthe 1960s.The 1920 and 1930 United States Federal Census schedules are the most recent censuseswith household-level information currently available to researchers. These records give usdemographic snapshots of the families living at 65/67 Ramona Street and their neighbors inthe second and third decades of the street’s history. In these years, most adult residents of thestreet were born in the United States, though some immigrated from England, Ireland (or theIrish Free State, such as John and Tessie Boland in #67 in 1930), Norway, Canada, Romania,Bohemia, Wales, Germany, and Switzerland. Anthony Valenzuela, an office clerk rooming at#59 in 1930, was born in “South America.” American-born adults with foreign-born parentshad roots in Denmark, Austria, Ireland, France, Germany, Canada, Switzerland, England,Norway, Sweden, Poland, Russia, and Italy. 1920 United States Federal Census entries for 65 and 67 Ramona Street 1930 United States Federal Census entries for 65 and 67 Ramona Street 65/67 Ramona - Page 19
  • 65/67 Ramona StreetThe house and its residents Old and new door hardware, 67 Ramona Street
  • 65/67 Ramona Street is Built View northeast on east side of Ramona St., 2010Throughout 1911, Adolph and Maud Hagemann subdivided their property between Doloresand Guerrero into 75’ by 25’ residential lots for individual buyers’ residential development. OnMay 4 of that year, the parcel located at 180’ North of 15th Street, later 65/67 Ramona Street,was sold to August C. & Anna Hollin.The following April, August Hollin applied for a building permit from the City of San Franciscoto erect a two story house with a basement on the property. Intended to be occupied by twofamilies, the building would have 9’6” ceilings in both units, patent flues, and a gravel coveredroof (SF Permit application No. 41985). The construction contract with A. Debenedetti wasreported in the April 17, 1912 issues of the San Francisco Call and Daily Pacific Builder. TheSpring Valley Water Company tap records show that water was connected to the residence onJune 17, 1912 (#69362, Volume 5, page 1755). The address was “retapped” June 29, 1932.The Hollin’s new investment, and #59/61 next door, was designed by San Franciscoarchitect John A. Porporato. A prolific designer of residential buildings and Italian-American Daily Pacific Builder, April 17, 1912mausoleums, Porporato was recognized alongside several Italian-American professionals atthe 1911 Turin International Exposition with a silver medal for his architectural work in thecity of San Francisco (San Francisco Call, October 25 1911, page 2). Although the 1911 DavisCommercial Encyclopedia describes Porporato as a “prominent young San Francisco Architect whohas achieved against tremendous odds” (page 176) he is not individually recognized as a “great”San Francisco architect. San Francisco Call, April 17, 1912 65/67 Ramona - Page 22
  • 67 Ramona Street, rooms and renovations Dining Kitchen chin. clos. Partially covered bathroom windows viewed from the air shaft Bath The larger front rooms, more elaborate fireplace, better lighting, and possibly more dining-room details in the upper unit (#67) made this a more desirable A w/c home. For most of the years during which the house was occupied by the property clos. owners, the owning family lived upstairs and renters lived in #65. When owners John and Tessie Boland moved downstairs from #67 to #65 in the early 1950s, clos. they may have done so to lessen the climb in their advanced age, or because they needed the greater income possible from renting out #67.A In 1977, permits were issued were partially blocked to accommodate the is likely when the bathroom windows to install modern bathroom fixtures. This current bath/shower placement. BedroomB A doorway appears to have originally connected the parlor to the main bedroom in #67, but it was closed and plastered over at some later time in the century. clos. Other residences built between 1910 and 1920 in this neighborhood still have sliding doors connecting the parlor to the adjacent bedroom, showing how resi- dents could choose to open the doors for light and ventilation or close them for clos. privacy. The door in #67 may have been blocked to provide greater security, B sound insulation, and privacy for unrelated renters and boarders who used the parlor as a bedroom. CC The mirrored sliding doors for theexpanding#67’s frontthe storage space toare a later-20th-century addition, likely closet in access to bedroom/library suit firepl. Parlor modern preferences for a wide opening into clothing storage. The pieced-togeth- Bedroom / er top moulding of the closet and discontinuous flooring show changes made to accommodate modern hardware. The existing, small swinging closet doors in the Library front bedroom/library of #65 are likely close to what was originally present in #67. 65/67 Ramona - Page 23
  • 65 Ramona Street, rooms and renovationsE Dining Kitchen D clos. Bath w/c clos. clos. clos. Bedroom clos. In the lower unit, #65, the door between the kitchen and former dining room is semi-permanently blocked to provide privacy for tenants using the room as a Dfirepl. bedroom. Parlor Bedroom / Library #65 also lacks built-in dining room storage like that in #67. Future cosmetic or structural upgrades to the wall in #65 could reveal whether this feature was E originally absent, or removed at a later time to make #65s dining room more “bedroom-like.” 65/67 Ramona - Page 24
  • Basement and exterior renovationsPermit applications filed with the City of San Francisco show major structural work done at65/67 Ramona Street has consisted of multiple upgrades to the rear staircase and a significantrepair to raise settled portions of the building’s front.On April 24, 1961, owner Mr. Carlsen filed a building permit application to “Alter base ofpartition and install masonry base. Alter low post at back stairs and one under building and install Covered Passagemasonry bases. Where marked P on attached diagram remove soil and install sill on concretebase.” Permit #222851 was issued May 2, 1961. As the work was done at the same time theCarlsen’s sold the property to Angela Borgen, it was likely a condition of the sale. Unfortunately,the diagram mentioned in the application is not on file at the City of San Francisco. StudioOn November 16, 1973, Angela and Roger Borgen filed a permit to “Replace old stairs andlandings on dwelling. Change to switch back type.” Work was completed under permit #383681.These stairs were repaired in 1993 under permit #719053, also issued to Angela Borgen. Thoughno drawings remain of the original staircase, it likely resembled others on the block which extendperpendicular to the back wall of the house, with switchbacks connecting the two residences toground level.On August 2, 1962, Angela Borgen applied for a permit to “Raise front portion of bldg. approx.2 inches where it has settled. It appears that one or more posts may have been removed inbasement, under central lateral girder. Repair sidewalk in front of bldg. (area approx. 108 sq. ft.)Permit #240728 was issued August 8, 1962. It may have been during this work that the secondstory decorative column bases were cut level with the artificial stone portion of the lower storyfacade.Many alterations to homes, especially those not visible from the exterior, are made withoutcity permits. The unframed room subdivisions in the basement of 65/67 Ramona St., and theboarded and altered lower story windows like those pictured below, are evidence of past repairsand renovations made outside of the permit process. Raised Walk Garage 65/67 Ramona - Page 25
  • Urban apartment design William Tuthill’s 1890 generalized plan for an urban apartment, shown at left, is similar to the layout Porporato used for his 1912 Ramona St. flats. City lots 25’ wide and between 75’ and 100’ in depth presented the same challenges to designers in many cities through these decades, with the needs for room function, light, ventilation, and privacy finding balance in a limited number of ways. Of this plan, Tuthill writes: The rooms required in an apartment are: a parlor, dining-room, three or four bedrooms, as servant’s room, kitchen and bath-room, together with proper closets and store-rooms. A library is added if the plan permits. In laying out the following plan, care has been taken to give each room and staircase the maximum ventilation possible, with a free use of smaller light shafts… They have been made as nearly as possible square, that form giving the most light for the space covered… The location of the dining-room and kitchen at the rear of the building has favor generally from the fact that it removes the noise and odors of the kitchen as far as possible away from the parlor (pages 38-40). The lack of a servant’s room (like that pictured on Tuthill’s 1890 plan) in the Ramona Street flats shows, in part, to the decline in hired household help employed by working and middle-class American families after the turn of the 20th century. 65/67 Ramona - Page 26
  • Early 20th-century kitchen and bath stylesThe catalog-perfect bathroom (Sears Roebuck Co. 1912, page 1162) andkitchen (Alabastine Co. 1906) at right show the basic fixture styles that mayhave been original to the Ramona Street flats. The kitchen range could eitherhave burned solid fuel (coal or wood) or gas.The Westinghouse refrigerator in the basement of 65/67 matches thoseadvertised as “Dual Automatic” models during the early 1930s. If it waspurchased new for this house, it was either the Knolls’ or the Bolands’ fridge. 65/67 Ramona - Page 27
  • Early 20th-century interior paint and wallpaper The original decoration of the Ramona Street flats probably wasn’t dominated by the plain white typical of today’s rental units. Combinations of wallpaper, paint, and stenciling decorated walls of the period, framed by painted or stained woodwork. Each wallpaper style from the 1912 Sears Roebuck Company catalog (left) included complementary patterns for walls, borders and ceiling. The interior paint colors available in 1915 to Montgomery Ward customers (bottom left) offer vibrant options compared to our current tastes. Almost equally vibrant is the foliage- adorned wallpaper found in the basement studio of 65/67 Ramona (bottom right). this remnant might be an insight into decor from the 1960s-1970s. 65/67 Ramona - Page 28
  • Early 20th-century lighting and floor coveringsGas, and later electric lights such as those offered in The HarrisBrothers Co. 1915 catalog (excerpt below), illuminated the rooms.Samples of basic hall carpet and linoleum patterns from the 1912Sears Roebuck Catalog show a penchant for bold, floral and geo-metric patterns in high-contrast colors. Though the RamonaStreet flats have hardwood floors throughout, rugs would haveprovided insulation and quiet in most rooms, including the halland stairs. The kitchen may have had wood or linoleum flooring. 65/67 Ramona - Page 29
  • AppendicesResidential Timeline and Documents Sears Roebuck & Co. 1912 Catalog, Page 1053
  • Residential Timeline Year Property Owner #65 Residents #67 Residents 1912 August C. & Anna Hollin Vance, Malcolm Trimble - Machinist (GRV Oct. 12, 1912) (May 4, 1911 - May 2, 1922) Muir, Louis Joseph and Stella Louis Joseph Muir was a printer and lino 1914 operator. (GRV 1913; CLSF 1913:1320, 1914:1360*) Merchant, Christopher T. and Mrs. Thora M. Christopher T. Merchant was born in California Cauwet, Hippolyte N. Jr. and Marguerite, in 1876 to Australian-born parents. Between Hippolyte Cauwet was born in France in 1887, 1915 and 1920 he worked as a contractor in 1916 and immigrated to the United States in 1908. house building, for Holm & Son, later Holm Through the 1920s, Cauwet was a Foreman, & Merchant. Thora Merchant was born in Superintendent, and Carpet Manager for the F. Michigan in 1888 to Danish-born parents. 1918 Thomas Parisian Cleaning and Dyeing Works Christopher and Thora had two daughters, of San Francisco. Marguerite Cauwet was born Gladys, born in about 1908, and Flora, born in in California in 1887 to German-born parents. about 1914. (GRV 1914, 1918, 1920; CLSF 1914:1298, Hippolyte and Margaret’s son, Raymond, was 1915-16:1309; USFC 1920) 1920 born in California in about 1913. (CLSF 1915-16:432 1923:453, 1924:356, 1925:468; GRV 1916, 1918, 1920, 1924, USFC 1920) 1922 Jacob & Katherina Straessler (May 2 1922 - May 8, 1926) Straessler, Jacob, Katherina, and Miss Margaret J., Jacob Straessler was a grocer. His daughter, 1924 Margaret, was a bookkeeper and cashier. (CLSF 1924, 1925:1770; GRV 1923, 1924) 1926 John J. & Tessie B. Boland (May 8, 1926 - February 6, 1956) 1928 Cauwets’ East Bay misadventure San Francisco Chronicle, February 28, 1921 1930 Knoll, Howard and Marie Boland, John and Tessie Howard Knoll was born in California in 1897 John and Tessie bought the Ramona Street to German-born parents. A war veteran, in house in 1926 and had moved in by 1929. In 1930 he worked as a shipping clerk at a candy the following year, Boland estimated the value 1932 factory, in 1945 as a teamster, and in 1949 as of the property at $8500. a driver for the Valley Exp. Co. Marie, born in California in 1907 to a New York-born father John Boland was born in the Irish Free State 1934 and German-born mother, married Howard in (Ireland minus Northern Ireland) in 1889 and 1930. It was his second marriage and her first. immigrated to the United States in1908. John The couple paid $50/month rent, and their was a veteran of the First World War, and in home was equipped with a “radio set.” 1930 worked as a laborer. He married Tessie 1936 Boland who was born in the Irish Free State in In 1932, lodger Frank J. Shields shared the flat 1890, in 1917. with Howard and Marie. *See Page 33 for source abbreviations 65/67 Ramona - Page 32
  • Residential TimelineYear Property Owner #65 Residents #67 Residents1938 John J. & Tessie B. Boland Knoll, Howard and Marie (cont’d) Boland, John and Tessie (cont’d) (May 8, 1926 - February 6, 1956) (CLSF 1945:974, 1949:1041; GRV 1930, 1932, 1944; SFTD In the late 1940s, John worked as a laborer and 1938; USFC 1930) “hod carrier” (an assistant to a bricklayer or plasterer) for San Francisco Buildings and Public1940 Works. In 1932, lodgers James Hughes and James Fee-1942 ney lived with the Bolands in #67. (CLSF 1929:333, 1945:205, 1949:205; GRV 1930, 1932, 1944; PSF 1951:164, 1953:1877, 1954:506; SFTD 1938;1944 USFC 1930)194619481950 Edwards, Adolph E. and Tamara Adolph was a clerk (PSF 1951:399)1952 Boland, John About a year before Tessie Boland’s death in No-1954 vember 1954, John and Tessie moved downstairs Skrash, C. (PSF 1954:1152) to #65. (PSF 1953:1877, 1954:506; SFAR Ledgers 1954)1956 Thorlief & Barbara Lindstrom (February 6 - August 28, 1956) Chris J. & Ida Carlsen Vacant (PSF 1957:2118) Carlsen, Chris J (steel worker) and Ida (PSF 1957:209, 1958:218) (August 28, 1956 - April 21, 1961) Holster, William (carpenter) and Margaret1958 (PSF 1958:654)1960 Welger, Mrs. Mary (widow of Martin) (PSF 1961:1571) Vacant (PSF 1961:692) Angela Borgen1962 (April 21, 1961 - February 4, 2008) Vacant (PSF 1962:739) Welch, Rodney J. (machinist, California Screw Co.) and Ligia R. (PSF 1962:1698) 65/67 Ramona - Page 33
  • Residential Timeline Year Property Owner #65 Residents #67 Residents 1964 Angela Borgen Simmons, John (office worker) and Cristina (April 21, 1961 - February 4, 2008) (PSF 1964:1413) 1966 Vargas, Mrs. Lisa (PSF 1966:739) Baca, Rafael (surgery assistant, St. Luke’s Hospital) and Olga M. (PSF 1966:64) 1968 Valenzuela, Hector and Maria L. Welch, R. J. (PSF 1968:1425) Hector was a Dye Specialist at Chance Bridal Company (PSF 1968:1380, 1969-70:1404, 1971:403, Coto, Juan (electrician, Pacific Telephone Co.) and Mina 1972:410) (HDSF 1980:415, 1981:411, 1982:318, 1983:315, 1984:312; 1970 PSF 1969-70:293, 1971:403, 1972:410, 1973:410, 1976:210, 1978:435, 1980:218, 1981:215) 1972 Morales, Mrs. Myrna (PSF 1973:410, 1976:422, 1978:715, 1980:709, 1981:560) 1974 1976 1978 1980 1982 1984 1986 1988 65/67 Ramona - Page 34
  • Residential TimelineYear Property Owner #65 Residents #67 Residents1990 Angela Borgen (April 21, 1961 - February 4, 2008) Cantrell, David (HDSF 1991:312; 1992:311)1992 Steuer, Jonathan S. (HDSF 1993:306, 1996:323, 1997:344, )1994 In 1994, with Clerici, Gianmaria; Rennella, Viviana (HDSF 1994:313)1996 In 1995, with Francis, A. (HDSF 1995:321) Schneider, Rick (HDSF 1997:344, 1998:370, 1999:379, 2000:425)1998 In 1999, with Josh Dorff Kuniavsky, Mike (HDSF 1998:370; HDSF 1999:379; HDSF 2000:425) In 1999, with John Slenk (HDSF 1999:379)2000 Timeline Source Abbreviations: GRV: Great Register of Voters USFC: United States Federal Census CLSF: Crocker Langley San Francisco City Directory PSF: Polk’s San Francisco City Directory SFTD: San Francisco Telephone Directory HDSF: Haines Directory for San Francisco 65/67 Ramona - Page 35
  • Documents Left: Transfer of land title from Adolph and Maud Hagemann to August C. Hollin and wife, May 4, 1911, San Francisco Assessor-Recorder book 534, page 130. Opposite: Application for Building Permit (front and back) by A. Hollin to erect a residence at 65 Ramona, filed April 10, 1912. 65/67 Ramona - Page 36
  • Documents65/67 Ramona - Page 37
  • Documents Transfer of land title from August C. and Anna Hollin to Jacob and Katharina Straessler, May 2, 1922. San Francisco Assessor-Recorder book 547, page 227. 65/67 Ramona - Page 38
  • DocumentsTransfer of land title from Katharina Straessler (“a widow”) to John J.and Tessie B. Boland, May 8, 1926. San Francisco Assessor-Recorder volume 1260, page 449. (quality poor in microfilm) 65/67 Ramona - Page 39
  • Documents Application for building permit by Chris J. Carlsen to alter and repair the partition wall, sill, and staircase posts and bases. April 14, 1961. 65/67 Ramona - Page 40
  • DocumentsTransfer of land title from Chris J. and Ida Carlsen to Angela Borgen, April 19, 1961. San Francisco Assessor-Recorder, book A255, page 908. 65/67 Ramona - Page 41
  • Documents Application for building permit by Angela Borgen to raise settled portions of building front and repair front sidewalk, August 2, 1962. 65/67 Ramona - Page 42
  • DocumentsApplication for building permit by Angela Borgen to replace exterior staircase and landings, November 16, 1962. 65/67 Ramona - Page 43
  • Documents Application for permit by Angela Borgen, charge notice, and inspector’s record to install updated bathroom fixtures. June, 1977. 65/67 Ramona - Page 44
  • DocumentsApplication for building permit by Angela Borgen to repair exterior staircase and landings, April 9, 1993. Plans are enclosed in back folder. 65/67 Ramona - Page 45
  • Primary Sources Secondary SourcesMany primary sources for this project were sought in the online sources listed below. If The Alabastine Co. Homes Healthful and Beautiful: Sane and Sanitary Decoration ofyou’re interested in finding out more about your home, neighborhood, or city, these are Homes, Illustrated with Designs in Alabastine Tints with Descriptive Letter Press.good places to start. Paris, Ontario. Alabastine Co., 1906. Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: Maps for San Francisco (1887 - 1950) can be Carey & Co., Inc. Revised Mission Dolores Neighborhood Survey, Volumes 1 and 2. San accessed online by San Francisco Public Library card-holders. A few original map Francisco, CA: Mission Dolores Neighborhood Association, 2009. books, showing color coding for building construction types, are available to researchers Cool, Jennifer. Communities of Innovation: Cyborganic and the Birth of Networked in the SFPL San Francisco History Center. Social Media. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Southern California, 2008. Neighborhood Photographs: Hundreds of historical photos from multiple California Harris Brothers Co. A Plan Book of Harris Homes. Chicago, Ill. Harris Brothers Co., repositories can be searched and viewed through Calisphere. 1915. City Directories: The names, addresses and, in some cases, occupations of your Montgomery Ward & Co. Montgomery Ward & Co.’s Paint Book. 1915. home’s past residents are listed in the Crocker-Langley, Polk’s Crocker-Langley, Polks, and Haines directories for San Francisco. A limited range of years are available online San Francisco Planning Department. City Within a City: Historic Context Statement for at the Internet Archive, and a more complete hard-copy set are stored for public use San Francisco’s Mission District. San Francisco, CA: City of San Francisco, 2007. in the Magazines & Newspapers section on the 5th floor of the San Francisco Public San Francisco Planning Department. Inner Mission North 1853-1943 Context Statement. Library’s main branch. San Francisco, CA: City of San Francisco, 2005. Federal Census Schedules and Voter Registry Indexes: A wide range of these Sears Roebuck & Co. Catalog No. 124. Chicago, Ill. Sears Roebuck & Co., 1912. government documents are available online to subscribers of Ancestry.com. The full federal census schedules and limited voter registries are also available on microfilm Tuthill, William. The City Residence: Its Design and Construction. New York, NY. William in the San Francisco Public Library’s Magazines & Newspapers section and San T. Comstock, 1890 Francisco History Center. These and other online and print resources for learning about individual Californians can also be accessed for a small fee at the California Genealogical Society and Library in Oakland.Some documents can only be found in person at a library, archive, or government agency.For this house history, these included: City of San Francisco Department of Building Inspection Permit Services: Building construction and alteration permits. City and County of San Francisco Office of the Assessor-Recorder: Sales ledgers and title documents, assessor’s block books. San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library: Spring Valley Wa- ter Company records, assessor’s block books, Edward’s Abstracts of real estate, original Sanborn Fire Insurance Company map books. 65/67 Ramona - Page 46
  • About the AuthorStacy Kozakavich is an archaeologist andhistorian with a Ph.D. in Anthropologyfrom the University of California, Berkeley;a specialization in nineteenth and earlytwentieth-century communities, sites,artifacts, and documents; and over fifteenyears of experience working with historicalresources in California and western Canada.Her past projects have included researchingand documenting historical intentionalcommunities such as the Kaweah CooperativeCommonwealth of Tulare County, conductingarchaeological surveys and excavations at sitessuch as the buried remains of the demolishedUC Botanical Conservatory in Berkeley, andresearching historical artifact collectionsfor sites such as San Jose’s 19th-centuryMarket Street Chinatown. Stacy has taughtuniversity level courses in American materialculture, introductory archaeology, historicalarchaeology and archaeological field methods.Stacy’s interest in house histories grew fromher experience researching historic buildingsfor cultural resources management projects inthe Bay Area, and through her discovery ofthe past lives connected to her own Berkeleyhome.Originally from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan,Canada, Stacy has resided in the San FranciscoBay Area since 2001. She currently resides inOakland with her family. 65/67 Ramona - Page 47