• It’s a general quiz based Kerala. But if you find
more questions based on movies, that is quite
• In dry rounds, if you know the answer
straightaway, shout ‘I AM THE ANSWER!!’ and
show your answer to QM. No other cries are
accepted.. The bounce system in
conventional quizzes also runs along.
• "It had all begun this way: in 1956 my sister got a
teaching assignment in the village of X. This was part of
a State scheme to send barefoot graduates to man
single-teacher schools in backward villages."Since it
was hard for a girl to be on her own in a remote village,
my parents had rented a little farmhouse and moved in
with my sister. Meanwhile I had been sacked from the
college where I taught. Jobless and at a loose end, I too
joined them in X to drown my sorrows.... Destiny had
been readying me for _______.”
Who is the speaker? What is he speaking about? Id X too..
He served in British Army for 8 years before
Independence. He was a sentinel at Birla House
when Gandhiji’s body was on public display. He
debuted as a playback singer in Thikkurissi’s (who
gave his more popular screen name too) first
directional venture Sheriyo Thetto. Before
appearing on the screen , he had sung around 60
songs and had dubbed for Satyan and Prem Nazir,
before Malayalam movie became ‘professional’ in
1960’s. Identify this actor known for his,
sometimes type casted, yet iconic roles.
• Following a lawsuit, it was missing for a long
time. Finally, it was located in an abandoned
room in Xavier’s Lodge near the Secretariat,
Trivandrum in 1974. It was kept in a thick box
and people were scared to handle it, fearing
that it contained dynamite. What am I
• Gluta travancorica (Tinnelveli Red wood tree)
a near threatened species in IUCN Red List is a
tree native to Southern India. The name of a
river and hence a Wildlife Sanctuary in Kerala
has been inspired from the colloquial name of
this tree. Id the Wild life sanctuary.
• Identify the popular South Indian instrument having similar
constructional feature to the following. Specify the peculiarity
• ‘Varum varunnu vannu’ is a Malayalam movie
released in 2003. Written by Balachandra
Menon and directed by Ramdas, this was the
comeback movie for actor, Gouthami.
• A person, popular in some other field tried his
luck in movies by playing the character named
Kandamparambil Maani, a rival character of
Balachandra Menon in this movie. Id this
person who is a ‘house’hold name in Kerala.
• Recently, P J Cheriyan(pic in the next slide), a
visiting fellow of Oxford University had submitted
a project to the State Govt. to convert a region of
Kerala into an organic garden of spice and
medicinal plants. The project aims at
transforming the region into an eco-friendly
heritage site. It proposes to prevent use of
chemical fertilizers and other chemicals and to
avoid deep-rooted trees. It also want the Govt. to
promote bicycles in the region to reduce Carbon
footprint. Which is the place?
P J Cheriyan is the Director of KCHR
As a follow up, id the people in the below pic . Say, half of
normal points for id each person. No points for the rightmost
Shashi Kumar, Tariq Ali, Paul Zachariah
and P J Cheriyan
• In 1973, a song from the movie Enippadikal
was banned by AIR alleging explicit lyrics. G
Devarajan composed for the 200 year old
lyrics and P Madhuri rendered the song.
• The song was reconstructed(not remixed) in
2010 and was repeatedly used in the last
known film until date for a popular actor,
released in 1999.
• Id the song and the lyricist.
• “Prananathan enikku nalkiya...” by Irayimman
13. Connect these places to Kerala..
(bigger images to follow)
• Galveston and Barcelona- twin cities of
• Shikarangal was a 1979 movie starring Jayan,
Sheela, Sukumari etc.
• Yakshaganam is a horror movie released in
1977 starring Madhu, Sheela, Adoor Bhasi and
• Which Malayali in Guinness Book of World
Records had directed the movies??
• Poonilamazha is a 1997 Malayalam movie
starring Sanjay Mitra(Vaishali fame), Thilakan
and Srividya to mention a few.
Who composed the songs for this film(Sole
• A nice song in the next slide
• In the movie adaptation of a critically
acclaimed Malayalam novel in 1968, Satyan
plays the protagonist(image in next slide). This
is regarded as the first psycho thriller in
• Id the novel on which the movie is based upon
and the writer.
Yakshi by Malayattoor
(Remember that Akam also based on the same novel)
Kuravan mala and Kurathi Mala prior
to construction of Idukki Dam
• Talkhiyan(Bitterness) is a 2012 Pakistani art
drama serial that aired on Express
Entertainment. Directed by Khalil Ahmed, it is
based on which novel?
• The next slides show some stills of Sanam
Saeed who plays the pivotal role.
• (Image on next slide-a screenshot from the serial)
• There is a particular scene which features in the
movies like Rowdy Rajamma, Hridayam oru
kshetram, Kaadu, Hridayathinte nirangal etc even
if the scene have no specific purpose as the
movie plot is concerned.
• The scene shows a boy driving cocks(Ahem! The
non flying creature with beak and feathers.. )
• What does these scenes imply??
These are Merryland movies. And they spare no chance
to troll Udaya Studio. Remember that the logo of Udaya
studio features a cock.
• In 2008, she was conferred a Doctorate for her
thesis on the rehabilitation of rural woman in
Karnataka by Bangalore University, thus
becoming the only actress in India to achieve
such a feat. Id her.
• In African-American culture, X refers to
an amulet consisting of a flannel bag
containing one or more magical items. It is a
"prayer in a bag," or a spell that can be carried
with or on the host's body.
• X may also refer to a board game and a Marvel
• What in popular culture of Kerala inspired its
name from X?
• Connect these exhaustive clues to a common
• 10 points for id each slide and the points for
theme differs in each clue.
• Write down the answers to the individual
• For every slide, the region/country goes into
the clue for theme.
Id the dog species Peculiar to a
Id the leader in the Western