1. WPAHow to Successfully Ride …the Social Media WAVE<br />Angie A. Swartz @aaswartz, Square Martini Media, LLC<br />Rieva Lesonsky, @Rieva, Grow Biz Media <br />July 24 , 2009<br />Hashcode #wpa709<br />
2. Unraveling the Mysteries of Social Media<br />Agenda<br />Good for you!<br />Why are you here today?<br />Is Social Media for you?<br />The Changing Marketing Landscape<br />What is Social Media<br />Importance of Strategy<br />What Are Listening Tools<br />Blogging<br />The Big Three<br />Video & YouTube<br />The Rest<br />Operational Benefits & Concerns<br />How You Can Get Started<br />Review<br />Q&A<br />
3. Copyright 2009 Geltz Communications, Inc.<br />Look out—<br />Social Media effects are exploding all around you<br />
4. Traditional communications<br />Source: Paul Gillin<br />
5. The new reality<br />Source: Paul Gillin<br />
6. Traditional Media vs. Social Media<br />
7. Not Just a Fad: Fundamental Change<br /><ul><li>HARO
8. CondeNaste & Vogue partnering with Facebook
9. Superbowl Ads
11. President Obama
12. Matt Lauer & NBC</li></li></ul><li>The critical beginning in every social media plan must be looking at your existing brand, business & marketing strategy<br />Social Media works as an integrated system functioning synergistically<br />Do You Have a Clear Strategy?<br />
13. Listening: What’s everybody saying about you?<br />The important first tactical step. Are you listening to the marketplace and hearing what your customers are saying about you & your competition? <br />Google Alerts<br />RSS Feeds (igoogle & yahoo pages)<br />Search.Twitter.com, Twitter Search<br />Monitter.com, Social Mention.com, Peoplebrowsr<br />Technorati, Google Blog Search<br />Paid Listening Tools (eforce)<br />
14. It's a Two Way Street Baby! And the Days of Push Marketing are Over.<br />You must be ready to respond.<br />The Two-Way Conversation<br />
15. The path to personality of your brand <br />Your website is static<br />Your blog is alive & changing<br />Wordpress, Typepad, Movable type<br />Should you use Blogger.com?<br />Set expectations for readers with Editorial Calendars<br />Importance of Keywords<br />Integration with Twitter<br />Blog Commenting Strategies<br />Blogging & Blog Commenting<br />
16. Great Blog Examples: Taking it to the public<br />Source: Paul Gillin<br />
17. The Big Three<br />Twitter, Facebook and Linked In are the Big Three<br />Must You Be on Them? NO!<br />You First Must Know WHERE Your Customers ARE!<br />There are MORE of Your Clients out HERE than YOU think! ;-)<br />There are MANY others and Micro Social Networks Can Be Amazingly Successful <br />
18. Fastest Growing Member Community<br />
19. <ul><li>>7 Million Users (a.k.a. Tweeters)
20. Happy 3rd Birthday Twitter! (3/06)
21. 66% of Users Over Age 35
22. Largest age group 35-49
23. 140 Character Messages
24. Short, Simple, Direct, Efficient
25. “Followers” with Public Messages
26. Virtual Watercooler; Conversational Marketing
27. Transparency & Authenticity
28. Serve and Help First- 1/15 Rule of Marketing</li></li></ul><li>
29. <ul><li> > 200 million active users
30. >100 million users log on at least once each day
31. > 2/3 Users are outside of college
32. >Age 35 fastest growing demographic
33. #1 Photo sharing site!
34. More than 20 million users update their statuses at least once each day
35. Fan Pages http://www.facebook.com/vw
36. More than 4 million users become fans of Pages each day </li></li></ul><li>is a Must for Business<br /><ul><li>30 million users
37. Membership > doubled since ‘07
38. Average age 41
39. All top Fortune 500 business decision makers
40. Questions & Answers
41. Targeted Groups</li></li></ul><li>Pictures-an incredible opportunity.<br />Flickr, TweetPhoto,Twitpic, YFrog<br />The True ability to speak a thousand words<br />Let your “Tribe” Upload & Spread Your Brand<br />NibiPedia, Wikipedia, Squidoo<br />Bookmarking, Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon<br />Social Networks: Ning.com, www.Sixfiguremomsclub.com, www.twittermoms.com, www.gravitysummit.com<br />MySpace<br />And SO Many More…<br />
42. The OH-So Powerful Video!<br /><ul><li> If a picture speaks a thousand words, how many does a video speak?
43. The flip camera has brought professional video to an amateur’s grasp.
44. There are over 13 video sharing services like YouTube & Vimeo.
45. Video is an easily available, fast, fun, viral message spreader
46. You can allow your “Tribe” to spread your message with their videos
47. Video strongly contributes to Google Rankings (SEO)</li></li></ul><li>Operational Benefits<br />Generational Differences<br />Employee Morale<br />Employee Retention <br />Operational Concerns<br />Fad? <br />Cost? <br />Time Investment? <br />Operational Benefits & Concerns<br />
48. How much time will I spend?<br />
49. Where do you start?<br />Revisit you goals and understand what you’re trying to accomplish. Get clear on how you think social media can help.<br />Implement listening tools and see what’s being said about you, your brand & your competition on the web.<br />Make sure you understand your customer & where your customers are on Social Media.<br />Experiment with the Big Three. <br /><ul><li>Get a Twitter account and start learning reading, comment if you’re interested. Follow interesting people.
50. Answer questions on linkedin.
51. Grow facebook friends (remember know, like and trust)
52. Learn about facebook fan pages.
53. Start supporting other people’s businesses. Give without regard to what you’ll get back.
54. Join the conversation.</li></ul>Leave comments on Other Blogs.<br />Make use of pictures and videos in line with your personal comfort level. <br />Ask questions!<br />
55. Iran Election <br />China and Facebook/Twitter Shutdown<br />Should Twitter Win a Nobel Peace Prize?<br />KogiBBQ<br />Zappos<br />Vertical Printing and Graphics (@vpg_printing)<br />Dominoes Pizza & Pizza Hut (@dpzramon)<br />@Astro_Mike<br />Comcast Customer Service (@ComcastCares)<br />Motrin Moms<br />Kiva.org<br />The OBAMA Presidential Campaign<br />Social Media Success? Stories<br />
56. Riding the Social Media Wave-Review<br />Can We Celebrate that you learned a little about Social Media?<br />Do you Agree The Marketing Landscape has Changed?<br />Are you Clear that the 1st Step in Social Media is Understanding how it fits with Your Overall Strategy?<br />Did We Cover Listening Tools?<br />Blogging?<br />The Big Three?<br />Video & YouTube? The Rest?<br />Operational Concerns?<br />Do You Know How YOU Can Get Started?<br />Did You Get What You Came For?<br />
57. For helpful resources on using social media in business.<br />Visit http://www.SquareMartiniMedia.com<br />http://www.TwitterAttraction.com<br />http://www.wsradio.com<br />Boost Your Business Radio with Rieva and Angie Wednesdays at 11 PDT<br />Twitter Talk Radio with Angie Swartz <br />Wednesdays at Noon PDT<br /> Q & A<br />