1. Can a Hot New Coffee Biz Successfully Ride …the Social Media WAVE?<br />Angie A. Swartz @aaswartz, Square Martini Media, LLC<br />August 15 , 2009<br />Hashcode #CoffeeRox!<br />
2. Unraveling the Mysteries of Social Media<br />Agenda<br />How can Social Media help you KILL it?<br />The Changing Marketing Landscape<br />What is Social Media<br />Importance of Strategy<br />What Are Listening Tools<br />Blogging<br />The Big Three<br />Video & YouTube<br />The Rest<br />How You Can Get Started<br />Review, Q&A<br />
3. Traditional communications<br />Source: Paul Gillin<br />
4. The new reality<br />Source: Paul Gillin<br />
5. Traditional Media vs. Social Media<br />
6. Not Just a Fad: Fundamental Change<br /><ul><li>HARO
7. CondeNaste & Vogue partnering with Facebook
8. Superbowl Ads
10. President Obama
11. Matt Lauer & NBC</li></li></ul><li>The critical beginning in every social media plan must be looking at your existing brand, business & marketing strategy<br />Social Media works as an integrated system functioning synergistically<br />Do You Have a Clear Strategy?<br />
12. Listening: What’s everybody saying about you?<br />The important first tactical step. Are you listening to the marketplace and hearing what your customers are saying about you & your competition? <br />Google Alerts<br />RSS Feeds (igoogle & yahoo pages)<br />Search.Twitter.com, Twitter Search<br />Monitter.com, Social Mention.com, Peoplebrowsr<br />Technorati, Google Blog Search<br />Paid Listening Tools (eforce)<br />
13. It's a Two Way Street Baby! And the Days of Push Marketing are Over.<br />You must be ready to respond.<br />The Two-Way Conversation<br />
14. The path to personality of your brand <br />Your website is static<br />Your blog is alive & changing<br />Wordpress, Typepad, Movable type<br />Should you use Blogger.com?<br />Set expectations for readers with Editorial Calendars<br />Importance of Keywords<br />Integration with Twitter<br />Blog Commenting Strategies<br />Blogging & Blog Commenting<br />
15. Great Blog Examples: Taking it to the public<br />Source: Paul Gillin<br />
16. The Big Three<br />Twitter, Facebook and Linked In are the Big Three<br />Must You Be on Them? NO!<br />You First Must Know WHERE Your Customers ARE!<br />There are MORE of Your Clients out HERE than YOU think! ;-)<br />There are MANY others and Micro Social Networks Can Be Amazingly Successful <br />
17. Fastest Growing Member Community<br />
18. <ul><li>>7 Million Users (a.k.a. Tweeters)
19. Happy 3rd Birthday Twitter! (3/06)
20. 66% of Users Over Age 35
21. Largest age group 35-49
22. 140 Character Messages
23. Short, Simple, Direct, Efficient
24. “Followers” with Public Messages
25. Virtual Watercooler; Conversational Marketing
26. Transparency & Authenticity
27. Serve and Help First- 1/15 Rule of Marketing</li></li></ul><li>
28. <ul><li> > 200 million active users
29. >100 million users log on at least once each day
30. > 2/3 Users are outside of college
31. >Age 35 fastest growing demographic
32. #1 Photo sharing site!
33. More than 20 million users update their statuses at least once each day
34. Fan Pages http://www.facebook.com/vw
35. More than 4 million users become fans of Pages each day </li></li></ul><li>is a Must for Business<br /><ul><li>45million users
36. Membership > tripled since ‘07
37. Average age 41
38. All top Fortune 500 business decision makers
39. Questions & Answers
40. Targeted Groups</li></li></ul><li>Pictures-an incredible opportunity.<br />Flickr, TweetPhoto,Twitpic, YFrog<br />The True ability to speak a thousand words<br />Let your “Tribe” Upload & Spread Your Brand<br />NibiPedia, Wikipedia, Squidoo<br />Bookmarking, Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon<br />Social Networks: Ning.com, www.Sixfiguremomsclub.com, www.twittermoms.com, www.gravitysummit.com<br />MySpace<br />And SO Many More…<br />
41. The OH-So Powerful Video!<br /><ul><li> If a picture speaks a thousand words, how many does a video speak?
42. The flip camera has brought professional video to an amateur’s grasp.
43. There are over 13 video sharing services like YouTube & Vimeo.
44. Video is an easily available, fast, fun, viral message spreader
45. You can allow your “Tribe” to spread your message with their videos
46. Video strongly contributes to Google Rankings (SEO)</li></li></ul><li>How much time will I spend?<br />
47. @Starbucks<br />Starbuckscoffeeblog.com (not sponsored by SB but by a FAN)<br />Iran Election <br />China and Facebook/Twitter Shutdown<br />Should Twitter Win a Nobel Peace Prize?<br />KogiBBQ<br />Zappos (recently acquired by Amazon.com)<br />Vertical Printing and Graphics (@vpg_printing)<br />Dominoes Pizza & Pizza Hut (@dpzramon)<br />@Astro_Mike<br />Comcast Customer Service (@ComcastCares)<br />Kiva.org<br />The OBAMA Presidential Campaign<br />Social Media Success? Stories<br />
48. Where do you start?<br />Solidify your goals and understand what you’re trying to accomplish. <br />Implement listening tools and see what’s being said about your industry & your competition on the web.<br />Make sure you understand your customer, what they want/need & where your customers are on Social Media.<br />Experiment with the Big Three. <br /><ul><li>Get a Twitter account and start learning, reading, comment if you’re interested. Follow interesting people.
49. Answer questions on linked in.
50. Grow facebook friends (remember know, like and trust)
51. Learn about facebook fan pages.
52. Start supporting other people’s businesses. Give without regard to what you’ll get back.
53. Join the conversation.</li></ul>Leave comments on Other Blogs.<br />Make use of pictures and videos in line with your personal comfort level. <br />Ask questions!<br />
54. Riding the Social Media Wave<br /> ~Review~<br /> ~Q&A~<br />