1. IN WHAT WAYS DOES YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT USE, DEVELOP OR CHALLENGE FORMS AND CONVENTIONS OF REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS?Our music video is an example of an expected R&B girl band representation. It holds many similarities including location and mise-en-scene; using a limousine and a bar as well as many costume changes.
1. IN WHAT WAYS DOES YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT USE, DEVELOP OR CHALLENGE FORMS AND CONVENTIONS OF REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS? It may be expected from an audience that a R&B girl band contain a dance routineespecially to the chorus which is what we have added in our music video. This dance routinealso holds a relationship between the lyrics andvisuals; “…best friends ride, trying to holler at me”. These actions of the band should be easily recognized by the audience and they arepurposely done in order to accentuate the lyric meaning. Furthermore, the lyric is of how the man trying to get the attention of the girl would act so one could suggest how theactions of the girls mock and ridicule the man;this could then suggest how dominant the girls are being in the video which is the bands ideology. This develops the idea of girl R&B bands being independent as Destiny’s Child began this and now Scarlett Diva’s are making it more obvious in current music.
1. IN WHAT WAYS DOES YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT USE, DEVELOP OR CHALLENGE FORMS AND CONVENTIONS OF REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS?Even though most conventions are similar to other R&B videos there are two things that challenge the conventions; costume and the men. When researching, many girl bands had flesh out looking sexy however we did not want this for our girl band. We wanted our band to be a good influence overthe modern day audience by wearing fashionable but sophisticated outfits. As the rap part of the song seemed more fierce and aggressive we decided that that girl band member have both men beside her showing she is control of them both. We did not get the chance to have them half – naked which is what we wanted but it still show s the dominance over men.
2. HOW EFFECTIVE IS THE COMBINATION OF YOUR MAINPRODUCT AND ANCILLARY TEXTS?
2. HOW EFFECTIVE IS THE COMBINATION OF YOUR MAINPRODUCT AND ANCILLARY TEXTS? An audience would recognize the 4 main colours used throughout the video; red, black, white and leopard. We wanted to use these four colours together because of how they stand out bold but also represent the band. Red and leopard represent the confident and fierce side of the band and white and black represent the sophistication of the band. It is very subtle but with the red dresses the band wear diamond jewellery to show the glamorous side also. As you can see we have added it on the poster and digipak to create a frame/border. It is classy and also makes the band members look very important. Again with the italic and bold typography being contrasts it shows the band as dominant as well as sophisticated also. I believe the audience would recognize and like the image and ideology we have created as it is unified. Furthermore, the fashion statement and accessories used are on trend which is what a modern day girl band should be.
3. WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED FROM YOUR AUDIENCE FEEDBACK? To get audience feedback we asked our peers who are 17/18 years old (within the demographics of our target audience) and predominately females. We received excellent comments from them all including how they loved the multiple costumechanges and where there are a lot of shots of the girl band it is very conventional. They also commented on how well it was all shot in particular the red dresses onthe black background. Moreover, they liked the beginning static shots of how only a small body part was revealed of the band. Before we showed this final piece, there were comments beforehand of how the chorus did not contain enough cuts to the rest of the video. Therefore we went back to editing and put in many more cuts in the chorus. This definitely made it look much better especially being cut to the beat of the song. We received minor criticism on how it ended as it was not great enough. We took this on board andtried different shots with the band ending with laughter, however we still preferred our last pose.
3. WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED FROM YOUR AUDIENCE FEEDBACK? When we posted our video on Facebook we received positive responses and many “Likes”. In particular one person said that they loved the miming to the rap as the syncing was correct. We assumed because 16 people liked our video on Facebook, they liked the video as whole including the band itself and the concept. As we posted our video on YouTube also we noticed that 145 people viewed our video. Whether they liked it or not it may have appealed to them seeing a new girl band.
4. HOW DID YOU USE NEW MEDIA TECHNOLOGIES IN THE CONSTRUCTION AND RESEARCH, PLANNING AND EVALUATION STAGES? When researching and planning I used the internet to gather a lot ofinformation. I used Google to researchand also Wikipedia to find out statistics and information about music directorsand bands. Of course when researching I used YouTube a lot to analyze music videos. To present my research I used Prezi and Slide Share to make it look much more interesting and also be much more interactive to look at. I also used Prezi to present planning ideas for our music video.
4. HOW DID YOU USE NEW MEDIA TECHNOLOGIES IN THE CONSTRUCTION AND RESEARCH, PLANNING AND EVALUATION STAGES? In the construction of editing the music video and creating the Poster andDigipak, I used Photoshop and Final Cut Pro. They’re both very good for using different effects and enhancements on the footage and photos we had.
4. HOW DID YOU USE NEW MEDIA TECHNOLOGIES IN THE CONSTRUCTION AND RESEARCH, PLANNING AND EVALUATION STAGES?When filming our music video we downloaded the song from iTunes and used our phones when filming so the lip syncing was correct. We also had todownload it and import it on Final Cut Pro so we could edit against the rightone. When downloading it we had to make sure we downloaded the song with the rap as that was the “No Scrubs” we were filming.