1. mbed based IoT Gateway Andrew Lindsay @andrewdlindsay IoT London Meetup, 28th March 2012Project kindly Sponsored by SK Pang Electronics Ltd.
2. The Problem? Lots of wireless sensor nodes within your property May use multiple gateways or PCs for each solution Different wireless communication protocols Different end destinations Too technical for average person? May need to write code
3. A Solution The mbed based IoT GatewayConnecting your IoT nodes to cloud based services
4. A Solution Single low power wireless gateway Operates with 868MHz or 433Mhz nodes Xbee, XRF or Wifi module in wireless option socket Ethernet or Wifi internet connection Realtime clock, updated via NTP μSD socket for storing configuration Web based management Software is Open Source
5. What is mbed? Microprocessor development board based on NXP LPC1768 Uses ARM Cortex-M3 core 96MHz clock, 512K Flash, 32K RAM I/O includes Ethernet, SPI, I2C Digital, Analog, PWM Real time clock Local filesystem Online compiler Libraries and code samples Off-line tools available
7. Gateway HardwareBaseboard for mbed moduleProvides power and I/O connectorsEthernet RJ45μSD card socketRFM12B Wireless moduleRFM22B Wireless module optionWireless module socket for Xbee/XRF/WiFly
8. Gateway HardwareBaseboard for mbed moduleProvides power and I/O connectorsEthernet RJ45μSD card socketRFM12B Wireless moduleRFM22B Wireless module optionWireless module socket for Xbee/XRF/WiFly
9. SK Pang Package IoT Gateway package consists of  mbed and IoT Gateway baseboard  Black extruded aluminium case with wall mounting brackets  Laser cut end panels  External antenna  9V PSU  Ethernet Cable
11. Software Features File based configuration in version 1 Web based configuration in version 2 Modular OO design No code changes to add new nodes Configuration files stored on μSD card Can learns about new nodes Input from wireless nodes Output to Pachube/MQTT Open Source Available from mbed.org
12. InputsRFM12B, either 433MHz or 868MHzCompatible with Jeenodes from Jeelabs emonTX from OpenEnergyMonitor Custom data formats, V1/V2 including battery statusExtendableAlternative inputs/outputs RFM22 Xbee XRF from Ciseco plc
13. OutputsCurrent Outputs Pachube API V2 MQTT including Pachube MQTT betaFuture Outputs Xbee XRF RFM12B WiFi
14. Data Routing Direct input sensor reading to an output Nodes file defines how to decode data Routing file defines where readings go Pachube datastream MQTT message Multiple readings can be batched
15. Web Management Simple Management interface via browser Configure network parameters, DHCP or Fixed Configure output modules List known nodes Configure nodes List known sensors Configure sensor outputs Still a work in progress
16. Where to next? Expand range of input payload types Ability to transmit wireless messages Equipment: fans, pumps, vent openers. Displays: emonGLCD Other cloud based data services Community involvement Custom hardware without mbed
17. ResourcesSome resources used in this project www.skpang.co.uk mbed.org jeelabs.org pachube.com mqtt.org
18. Thank YouThanks to SK Pang for providing the IoT Gatewayhttp://bit.ly/IoTGateway Questions?