1. The future of PERSONAL TRANSPORTATION In the year of 2050 MA Design & Branding Strategy Design Futures
2. WE ARE And we love car… JongBuen Kim 1105959 JeongBuen Lee 1101122 AiXuan Jiang 1127168 LiJun Jin 1106622 ChinChuan Chong 1123117 Sudathip Kaenratana 1123387 Javid Nourie 1101122
3. WHY PERSONAL TRANSPORT? Increase in the number of cars per household in the UK. AIM to introduce new mean of personal transportation BENEFIT to make driving fun and efficient , reduce pollution & time taken BENEFICIARIES for car producers, people who use private transport in future Green Motor, 2011
4. • Define current problems • Benefits • Beneficiaries Aim To introduce new mean of personal transportation to solve current and future problems Objectives • To analyze current transportation problems • To predict future problems • To predict the trend in 2050 • To propose solutions for personal transportation in 2050 Problem Identification • Congestion • Energy • Pollution • Sustainability • Technology Primary research • Interview with marketing director from KIA Motors • Interview with Prof. Hua Zhao (Mechanical Engineering, Brunel University) • Questionnaire Secondary research - Journals - Literature reviews - Case studies Blue Sky Suggestions RESEARCH METHODOLOGY STAGE 1 STAGE 2 STAGE 3 STAGE 4
5. Problems that people face in today’s transportation Criteria for personal transportation in future Preference of in- car technology Criteria that people look for when purchasing a car
6. PROBLEMS IDENTIFICATION http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23827451-london-congestion-europes-fourth-worst.do CONGESTION!!! Car is the main vehicle in London (40% of all trip) 50% of people in London drive to work Cars accounted for 33% of the travel market for short trips travel 800,000 People will work in London by 2025
7. http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/11/stats/publications/energy-consumption/2325-factsheet-transport-energy-consumption.pdf PROBLEMS IDENTIFICATION ENERGY Car accounted for 2/3 of transport consumption in 2009 From 1970-2010, energy consumption in road transport rose by 91% ” Roadmap to 2050”- cut greenhouse emission by at least 80% Road transport energy consumption by type of vehicle, UK, 2009 CARS 63 % LGV 13 % HGV, 18% BUSES 5% MOTORCYCLE 1% Department of energy and climate change, 2011 <ul><li>2005 and 2050 – energy demand in transport increase by 120% </li></ul><ul><li>Fastest energy demand growth – air travel, road freight and light duty vehicles. </li></ul><ul><li>Demand for automobile travel double 3 times </li></ul><ul><li>30%-50% efficiency gains – insufficient to out weight demand growth (The Royal Academy of Engineering, 2010) </li></ul>
8. PROBLEMS IDENTIFICATION POLLUTION & SUSTAINABILITY Air Pollution . Exhaust fumes affect air quality and health Noise Pollution. Affect quality of life Soil Pollution. Fuel and oil spills Climate Change. Release C0,CO , CH , and N 0 gas.
9. http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/11/stats/publications/energy-consumption/2325-factsheet-transport-energy-consumption.pdfF PROBLEMS IDENTIFICATION TECHNOLOGY Safety and Environment Friendly Safety programmed Fuel/ Electricity The world’s 439 largest cities spent $115 billion a year for fuel. Technology and Function Driver assistance, vehicle dynamics control, active and passive safety system
10. PESTLE POLITICS *Political stability made a stable And safe traffic environment *Taxation leads to higher price of cars *International trade regulation ECONOMICS *Incoming level and savings *Increasing fuel, oil and raw material *The affordable level of cars SOCIAL *Change of lifestyle, income & Family TECHNOLOGY *New emerging innovation *Customised solutions *Alternative fuels LEGAL *Safety legislation: Improve traffic safety * Land use planning regulations to take account of transport needs ENVIROMNENT *Parking & township Infrastructure *Reduce energy consumption
11. INVENTIONS TANGIBLE *Takes at least 7 years for the product development of a car *Currently there are already some corporation obtained the license to develop ‘FLYING’ vehicles *The main stream of the car development now is ‘ELECTRIC CAR’ * Automatic driving technologies is now being develop but according to the expert, car will never be autodrive in the future. The Invented technologies - Prof. Zhao INTANGIBLE *Sometimes concept cars are just to develop under certain circumstances *To show the technologies *To investigating the potential market and consumer’s reactions *To develop new forms and potential design of a future vehicles *To test the market
12. HERE YOU GO!
13. Blue Sky.1
14. THE CONNECT CAR For the energy and space sufficient , Cars will connect and stack and move together To the same destination
15. Blue Sky.2
16. THE SHARING VEHICLE Why not share your vehicle? The hub will designed as a pick up point and Charging hub for cars. (Think of USB device ) *cause 80% of the car in the future will be run by electricity
17. Blue Sky.3
18. THE SKYWAY No more space on the ground? Lets use the vertical space . In additional, You can drive anywhere you like.
19. Blue Sky.4
20. PARASITE PARKING Space is precious. Building are designed for car attachment , Our car will send us right outside out office. Safe our time and space .
22. Department of energy and climate change, 2011. Energy consumption in the United Kingdom 2011. [online] Available at: http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/11/stats/publications/energy-consumption/2325-factsheet-transport-energy-consumption.pdf [Accessed 22/02/12] Green motor, 2011. Cars per household in the UK. [image online] Available at: http://www.greenmotor.co.uk/2011/03/uk-census-car-ownership-and-electric.html [Accessed 22/02/12] The royal academy of engineering, 2010. Making the UK's energy systems fit for 2050. [Online] Available at: http://www.raeng.org.uk/news/releases/shownews.htm?NewsID=553