1. The Social Business Test Determining whether a business is social
2. The test consists of 4 steps. but first , a definition…
3. Main Entry: Social Business Pronunciation: `so-shel `biz-nes, nez Function: adjective Usage: often attributive Etymology: s ee Yunus, Muhammad 1. An organization which is financially sustainable and solves a social ill concurrently 2. For-profit or non-profit which has social objectives integrated into business operations 3. Driven to change the world
4. Now, the 4 steps
5. Analyze the company’s mission in relationship to a social issue 1. Analyze mission
6. Do these relate?
7. Think Grammen Bank
8. Research steps taken by the company to actively and whole-heartedly pursue this mission 2. Research Actions
9. Is the company just talk?
10. Or, are they taking action?
11. Think Kiva
12. Compare the positives versus the negatives of the company’s operations 3. Compare Results
13. Positives… Think fuel efficient vehicles
14. But, in building that car how much negative (i.e. pollution) was created? Negatives…
15. Which has a greater impact? Think holistically about the company
16. Analyze results from step 3, if the result is positive = social business 4. Analyze Result