What is Effective Classroom Management?
Effective Classroom Management consists of
teacher behaviour that produces high levels
of student involvement in classroom
and effective use of instructional time.
Why is Classroom Management important?
Good classroom management allows
learning to occur.
Is Teaching an Art or a Science?
* Teaching is both an Art and a Science.
* The art comes from the teacher’s
personality, experience, and talents.
* The science comes from knowledge of
child development and the structure of
What are the principles of effective teaching?
Prepare really thoroughly
Start absolutely right
Set clear objectives
Have a super attitude
Balance activities well
Prepare really thoroughly
Get as much advice as you can and
• In fact over-plan, create a check list
• Have all your (complete) notes, the
course text, handouts, transparencies,
markers, chalk, erasers with you in the
• Know your teaching space, visit it
Start Absolutely Right
• Introduce yourself
• Talk through the syllabus
• Introduce the textbook
• Be enthusiastic and energetic
• Decide that this course is going to be
fun for you and your students
Set Clear Objectives
State the learning outcomes of your
• State exam and quiz schedule
• Explain grading policies
• State academic misconduct penalties
Have a Super Attitude
Care about your students
Show respect (and gain respect)
Be fair and consistent
Learn student names
Encourage class to get to know each other
Motivate students to do regular work
Balance Activities Well
Teaching – speaking
Make everything very clear - especially
rules - attendance, etc.
Give detailed guidance on homework.
Tell the students what you can do and
what you cannot
Take questions - stimulate them to ask
Tell them what they can expect of you
outside class hours
• Respond quickly to quizzes / exams
• Give good written feedback, be
• Help all students to be successful
• Discourage bad, disruptive
20 minutes is a good time for a
break, or change of activity
Good classroom management has three
basic and necessary components:
Rules and Procedures
Teaching Classroom Rules
discipline in the
classroom is the key to a healthy
Laying down rules is easy, but
motivating responsible behaviour is
- Classroom rules should be set
- Establish a few general rules of
- Rules need to be established as a
result of a meaningful classroom
- It’s an invitation for students to
describe the class they would like
to be part of and make
suggestions for rules.
know you respect and care
for them when they are consulted and
involved in decision making.
The discussion is meaningful and
When students break the rules, they must
know ahead of time that there are
In society, we know that if we
choose to break the law, we had better be
prepared to go to court and perhaps do
some jail time!
We should consider the following:
relationships are developed and
• the importance of establishing positive
relationships with all students
• how to promote positive relationships
Potential barriers to establishing
• Large numbers of children with whom the
teacher needs to develop relationships
• Lack of time to spend with individuals
• We find it easier to develop positive
relationships with some.
If it works, do
If it doesn’t, try
Never treat a child in a way you wouldn’t
treat an adult.
Try to see things through the child’s
Without the foundation of a good
relationship, students commonly
rules and procedures along with the
consequent disciplinary action.
Keys to Effective Classroom
Quality Relationship – Knowing and Understanding
Leaving the ego at the door.
teaching is like gardening. The most
important part of the activity is preparation
of the soil so that plants can grow.
rest is about providing daily nutrients
(lessons) and removing the weeds (incorrect
information or behavior).
forget the power of one person to
make a difference in the life of a child.
For further queries contact: