1. Welcome toCentral Elementary School Go Eagles!!! 2012-2013
2. Notes From Mrs. MizellDear Parents, We thank each and every one that has made time toeat lunch with their child this quarter and encourage those ofyou who haven’t made it yet, to come and join us. We alsothank the volunteers who have helped us run off copies andhelp shelve books and other tasks that have helped us have agreat start to the school year. We encourage you to keep usinformed of change of address, email, and phone numbers.Weather is turning cold, so please label all jackets, coats andsweaters. We ask for your participation and support. Our goal isto provide your child, our students, with a positive learningenvironment. Sincerely, Cindy Mizell
3. Announcements• February 12th: Parent Teacher Conferences 3-9pm• February 14th: Valentine’s Day Parties• February 18th: NO SCHOOL (Teacher PD)• February 7th: Math Night 5:30-7:00pm• March 15th: NO SCHOOL (Teacher PD)• March 18th-22nd: Spring Break-NO SCHOOL• April 1st-5th:K-2 Standardized Testing• April 8th-12th: 3rd–5th Grade Benchmark Testing• May 27th: Memorial Day-NO SCHOOL• May 30th: Last Day of School• May 31st: Summer Break Begins
4. Mrs. Martinelle, a Teachers College Staff Developer from New York, was here providingtraining for our K-2 teachers focusing on writing about our reading.
5. Kindergarten News• Reading – Partners are Teachers. Children transfer all they have learned up until now to problem solve as readers.• Writing – How To. Children will learn how to write procedural books to instruct people how to do something.• Math – Measurement and counting.• Science/Social Studies – Penguins and Fairy Tales
6. What are we studying?? Reading:. Being able to discuss information from our books; fluency; figuring out tricky words. Writing: Poetry Math: : Ways to make 10Make sure your child is reading 3-4 times a week at home! Make sure to sign the log!! Make sure you study your Sight Word Lists!!
7. What’s Happening in 2 Reading nd Grade??? For the Month of February we are focusing on Non-Fiction Books. Writing For the Month of February we are working on Poetry. Math Our focus in math for February is tens and ones (addition & subtraction). Science/Social Studies We will be learning about Plants and Animals.
8. Reader’s Workshop: We are beginning our unit on Social Issues: bullying,loneliness, peer pressure, and fitting in. To study these issues, we are readingbooks by Eve Bunting. We are also reading the book series, Amber Brown.Writer’s Workshop: We are finishing up ourPersuasive Reviews and are getting ready to publishand have a celebration. We will be moving on toChanging the World Writing soon!Math Workshop: We are studying Fractions and how todivide things up into equal parts! We are still working onmultiplication. Please be working with your child on theirflashcards! PARENTS!! Be on the look out for… • We have a very SPECIAL visitor coming from New York to work in Mrs. Crabtree’s room. Ask your child about Ms. Shana •Parent Teacher Conference Forms • Valentine Party Sign-Ups
9. 4th Grade Happenings• Reading- Content Area Reading. This is a unit on informational reading in science and social studies. Remember to read 30 minutes each night. Talk about what you read with someone.• Writing- Informational writing. Informational writing is writing that is designed to “examine a topic and convey information and ideas clearly.”• Science- We will be continuing our study of electricity.• Social Studies- We will be studying Arkansas history. We will be studying the six regions of Arkansas and we will also look at our state symbols.• Math- We will be finishing up fractions and decimals. After fractions and decimals we will begin a new unit on multiplication and division. Please continue to practice multiplication combinations at home.• Important dates:• February 5th- Quiz Bowl at King School• February 12th- Quiz Bowl at Central (vs. Rena)• February 12th- Progress Reports and Parent/Teacher Conferences (3-9PM)• February 18th- No school. Professional development for teachers.
10. Look What’s Happening in 5th Grade Math/Science In math, we will continue studying fractions. Wewill be learning how to add, subtract, multiply, anddivide fractions. After break in January, we will be studying geometry-different types of polygons. In science, we will be studying matter inDecember and will begin a unit on light and energy in January. Both classes had a great time working on the ecosystems unit. Literacy/Social Studies In reading we are continuing our study of Nonfiction reading and will move into nonfiction research projects. In writing, we are wrapping up our information books and will move into research based argument essay. The kids are finishing up their projects on exploration, and then The kids enjoyed after Christmas break, we will begin our study on Leadership pajama day! during Colonial Times.
11. Drop off and Pick up• Bus drop off and pick up will be located behind the building on North 22nd Street.• Car drop off and pick up will now be located in the front of Central Elementary School on North 24th Street.