1. War may be hell…
but home ain’t exactly heaven, either.
When a Soldier comes home fromWhen a Soldier comes home from
war, they find it hardwar, they find it hard……
2. ……to listen to his son whine about being bored.to listen to his son whine about being bored.
3. ……to keep a straight face whento keep a straight face when
people complain about potholes.people complain about potholes.
4. ……to be tolerant of people who complainto be tolerant of people who complain
about the hassle of getting ready for work.about the hassle of getting ready for work.
5. ……to be understanding when a coto be understanding when a co--workerworker
complains about a bad nightcomplains about a bad night’’s sleeps sleep.
6. ……to control his panic when his wifeto control his panic when his wife
tells him he needs to drive slower.tells him he needs to drive slower.
7. ……to be grateful that he fightsto be grateful that he fights
for the freedom of speech.for the freedom of speech.
8. ……to be silent when people prayto be silent when people pray
to God for a new car.to God for a new car.
9. ……to be compassionateto be compassionate
when a businessmanwhen a businessman
expresses a fear of flying.expresses a fear of flying.
10. ……to not laugh when anxiousto not laugh when anxious
parents say theyparents say they’’re afraid to sendre afraid to send
their kids off to summer camp.their kids off to summer camp.
11. ……to not ridicule someoneto not ridicule someone
who complains about hot weather.who complains about hot weather.
12. ……to control his rage when ato control his rage when a
colleague gripes about hiscolleague gripes about his
coffee being cold.coffee being cold.
13. ……to remain calm when histo remain calm when his
daughter complains about havingdaughter complains about having
to walk the dog.to walk the dog.
14. ……to be civil to peopleto be civil to people
who complain aboutwho complain about
their jobs.their jobs.
15. ……to just walk away whento just walk away when
someone says they only getsomeone says they only get
two weeks of vacation a year.two weeks of vacation a year.
16. ……to be happy for ato be happy for a
friendfriend’’s new hot tubs new hot tub
17. ……to be forgiving when someoneto be forgiving when someone
says how hard it is to havesays how hard it is to have
a new baby in the house.a new baby in the house.
18. ……to not punch a wallto not punch a wall
when someone sayswhen someone says
we should pull outwe should pull out
19. The only thing harder thanThe only thing harder than
being a Soldierbeing a Soldier……
“A Proud Army Wife”
20. is loving oneis loving one.
21. A gentle reminder toA gentle reminder to
keep your life in perspective.keep your life in perspective.
And when you meet one of ourAnd when you meet one of our
returning Soldiers,returning Soldiers,
please remember what they have beenplease remember what they have been
through and show themthrough and show them
compassion and tolerancecompassion and tolerance..
CPT Alison L. Crane, RN, MS
Mental Health Nurse Observer-Trainer
Medical Training Support Battalion