2. Carbon trajectory- from low to zero to negative
3. … the mix of c_life - to contain living, leisure, innovation and entrepreneurship … evolving the carbon strategy - from low2no to carbon sinkwe imagine
4. … defining the tools for change - through accessible and transparent decision making … triggering systemic change - that picks up on the existing and delivers new thinkingwe imagine
5. … building replicability - through a development that will be an inspiration for future sites … building excellence - creating a city to love and a home to identify withwe imagine
6. … enabling behavioral change - that builds on people and their social networks … delivering a credible framework - for the economics, the policies and the governance of c_lifewe imagine
7. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter? 9 ideas
8. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter?1 c_life: city as living factory of ecologyc_life is a lasting real time and real spacedemonstration of how to live, work, playand learn, producing innovation thatbenefits people, the environment and theeconomy.c_life will be an innovation factory inwhich SITRA will attract Start Ups andCompanies by creating a stimulatingenvironment for entrepreneurship, whereprototyping of built environment policies,technologies and services can beshowcased.
9. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter?2 climate neutral district: delivering an economic and governance framework for changeOur proposition is to establish the JätkäsaariClimate Neutral District (CND).The CND is the most efficient and cost-effective way for c_life and other developmentprojects on Jätkäsaari to achieve carbonneutrality.The key strategies within CND are to:• coordinate district-wide sustainability efforts• establish a district carbon accounting system• establish carbon neutrality policy for buildings• create revolving fund for offset projects,• invest in carbon abatement projects,• develop municipal financing scheme,• attract green co-operatives• attract a Jätkäsaari sustainable bank• implement 50 ways to change behaviour.
10. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter?3 efficient clean energy: reduce on site + produce off sitec_life has been conceived as a highlyenergy efficient city block that reducescarbon emissions by 40% in operation,after which the remainder is tackled by anoffsite wind farm funded by thedevelopment.
11. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter? • c_life buildings can change use over time.4 • narrow floor-plates • structural modulation and service/utility design buildings ducting are suitable for residential, retail or commercial uses for change • transparency for the public realm
12. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter? embodied carbon in materials and5 structure are reduced by 55%, using use resources efficiently: • timber for structure and finishes low carbon materials • lightweight façades (punched windows) • minimum impact concrete foundations and structure • low carbon finishes
13. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter?6 embody the spirit of the master plan – creating not just buildings but places that will be • c_life as catalyst for sustainable urbanism an inspiration to subsequent blocks • quality – sensuous architecture creates well- being for the individual
14. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter?7 empower people: engage + incentivise + benefit communicate + leadPeople, and their contexts, socialnetworks, habits and beliefs are crucialtools for creating sustainable change inbehaviour.Up to 50% of the carbon footprint isassociated with lifestyle choices.Approach:• developing engagement and awarenessstrategies• using technology that assists them inmaking decisions• producing positive reinforcement loopsfor people who live, work and visit c_life• using the community as a knowledgenetwork to share best practice• demonstrating leadership
15. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter?8 move smartly: live / work + walk, cycle and tram around + go car clubbingThe objectives of the transport strategyare to reduce the need to travel, enhancemobility and reduce emissions.Approach:• incentivise co-location of live and work• provide low carbon public transport• provide affordable zero carbon car clubson each urban Block
16. how does c_life become a carbon negative and sustainable city quarter?9 produce food: have your pocket green houseA person living in c_life will be able toreduce its carbon emissions associatedwith food consumption by 30% comparedto a typical person living in Helsinki.Approach:• growing up to 50% of your greenvegetables in pocket greenhouses placedin each dwelling• shifting to buy local• changing behaviour.