Building Marketing Capability
Sir Eric Seyram A
Setting the scene
Accountability is central to a more credible, influential marketing function
Does your business value the role and commercial impact of marketing and
What should you measure, how do you measure, who measures?
Do your marketers have knowledge of future marketing trends? Can they manage
the reputation of your business through challenging times?
“Our marketers will be credible, based on an ability to champion the customer and
to quantify performance”
Make a more meaningful contribution to business strategy
How do you measure skills and capability? How do you know if a marketer is
competent and will contribute to your business
Minimise the risk!
At a recent CIM conference, a room of about 70 senior
marketers were asked whether they felt that marketing
leaders were sufficiently knowledgeable to assess the
commercial impact of marketing on their business
Over half said „no‟!
Not enough information to hand?
Business too complex?
No planning therefore no measurement?
No skills in the business on how to go about this?
YES! (To all of the above)
In your business, do marketers understand how to
collaborate with the Finance function?
Can they justify return on investment (ROI) to secure
Can they advise you on how to manage your corporate
reputation when times get tough?
If yes, how do you know this? What is your benchmark?
What is your risk?
Need to understand accountability
Need to have the capability to lead your organisation
To grow customers
To plan and drive business growth
To manage your corporate communications
To demonstrate return on investment
• A CIM study in 2010 found that marketing leaders want their teams to
make a more meaningful contribution to business strategy; yet fewer
than 25% of them believe the right skills are in place.
• What are those skills?
• How should organisations identify and then develop them?
• What other factors influence the ability of marketers and marketing
departments to deliver sustained, demonstrable value?
Becoming a marketer
Becoming a marketer
• Education provides a knowledge base that underpins essential
• Provides marketing theory = knowledge
• Build on academic knowledge and theory
• Ensure skills relate to business needs
• Use „Competency Frameworks‟
What are Competency Frameworks?
• A structured map of the skills, competencies, behaviours
and processes that an individual requires in order to do
their job effectively
Competency Frameworks are useful:
• To write job descriptions
• To set individual objectives and monitor performance
• For recruiting the right employees to your organisation
Marketing Competency Framework
• Professional Marketing Standards = UK Government
National Occupational Standards in Marketing
• Professional competencies in marketing
• Designed in consultation with employers
• CIM qualifications are mapped to these standards
giving you a qualification that is immediately relevant for
• Benchmark of competency: CIM qualifications
ensure marketers meet requirements of the National
Occupational Standards for Marketing
• Driving business: Relevant marketing knowledge for
business today ensuring a greater contribution to the
• Improving business strategy: Qualifications
ensure marketers are skilled with the latest marketing
techniques and knowledgeable about key business
• Standard international competence:
Qualifications relevant across borders and boundaries not just local
Relevance to business
• Practical, professional, applied, portable
• Directly beneficial to companies
• Reflect the dynamic structure of marketing today
The Chartered Institute of Marketing
A not-for-profit organisation, we are the leading international professional
marketing body, with members worldwide
We exist to develop the marketing profession, maintain professional standards
and improve the skills of marketing practitioners
We encourage and promote leading edge thinking through our wide networks
of practitioners, researchers and academics
We do this via Membership, Professional Qualifications and providing
Learning Opportunities and a comprehensive Continuous Professional
We operate around 3 basic principles LEARN, DEVELOP, BELONG
CIM Qualifications overview
find out more
Develops a good
fundamentals in a
Aspiring to be
Focuses on tactical
broader areas of
Accredited Study Centres in Ghana
Advanced Business College
Chartered Courses Education
Central University College
Ghana School of Marketing
Institute of Professional Studies
Simon Page Business School
University College of Management Studies (Accra &
• Zenith University College
Employing CIM-qualified marketers now....
•Ghana Commercial Bank
•Accra Brewery Company
•Bank of Ghana
•KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
•Coca Cola Bottling Company................and many more!
Don’t waste a crisis!
Make your business stand out…..
The current global economic climate is an opportunity for competent
marketers to show how they can support the business. Good
performance in difficult markets depends on asking key questions:
• What do your customers want?
• What competitive threats will emerge in this changing market?
• What new opportunities might emerge?
This is marketing!
Investment in skills that can answer these questions, delivering your
business with competitive advantage
Employ qualified marketers,
Don’t risk your reputation!