Google Marketing Case : New Product Developement at the speed of light
The New Product
Innovation At the Speed
is a multinational technology company specializing
in internet-related services and products.
- online search
- online advertising
- cloud computing,
Most of its profits are
derived from AdWords,
an online advertising
service that places
advertising near the list
of search results.
Dominating the Market
Google clearly dominates this area, which is the core business
of the company, with 84% market share.
To organize the worlds information and
make it universally accessible and
smart people +
creative environment +
outlet for ideas = INNOVATION
Innovative Approach to Innovation
In Google the planned time
for a new product is 4 to 5
“iGoogle started out with me and three engineers.
I was 22, and I thought, "This is awesome.”
Six weeks later, we launched the first version. The
happiness metrics were good, there was healthy growth,
and [a few months later], we had iGoogle fully operational
with a link on Google.com.
Google’s New Product Development Strategy
▸No «Not Ready» mindset.
▸Launch early on Google Labs(discontinued) and then
repeat to learn what the market wants and make it great.
▸When in doubt, do something.
▸Between two paths in an unsure position, take the fastest
Gmail, Google Play, Google Blog Search, Google
Checkout, Google Picasa, Google Android, Chrome,
Google Maps, Google Earth, YouTube, Flutrends etc.
TOP 5 PRODUCTS
Launch of Google Play Launch of Google+
Managing sales and
purchases of apps and
entertainment media in an
Enters to social media market
with a powerful
all-purpose social network.
Googlers have 20 per cent
of their work time
developing their own “cool
and wacky” ideas.
1 Workday a WEEK
Is a conference where
Google invites 50
smartest people of the
world to tackle some of
the world’s biggest
lens project that
will let diabetics
Q1: IDENTIFY MAJOR
BETWEEN THE NEW
THAT FOUND AT
Only 4 of the 8 steps of the new product development process are avaible: idea
generation, idea screening, concept development and testing,
and commercialization (Cutting off).
Google New Product Development Process is
Free flowing and boundless: Encouraging to think «outside the box» and come up with
new ideas, no matter how weird they may be.
Fast-tracked: Once an idea is proposed, it is immediately sent to testing.
Putting a product into use quite early (make a product avaible no more than 6 months
after development has started. No «2 or more years» for production and design plans.
Innovative: Google gives their employees one workday a week (20-percent time rule) to
work on whatever is going on in their heads.
Q2: IS GOOGLE’S
Google is trying to do what their customers want in
order to make their customers’ lives easier.
Team Based: Google gives its employees one full workday each week to
work on any project they want. These employees are free to work with
whomever they choose, and are free to come up with any idea that comes
into their minds.
Systematic: Considering its new product development process, Google is
one the most innovative company as it encourages its employees.
No certain boundaries.
THE PRODUCT LİFE
GOOGLE FACE IN
- Continue to watch what the best sellers/products are and develop
based on those.
- Ensure that it always has new products at every phase of the PLC (e.g.
İntroduction, growth, maturity).
- When the products are becoming outdated , analyze whether they
should be updated .
- Move to a product that better suits the needs and demands of the
- Monitor the maturity stage of the product as well as the evolution of
technology and its uses.
- No guarantee how long the PLC will be. So, introduce new products,
grow, do well or leave.
Q4: IS THERE A LIMIT
TO HOW BIG
- Must be a limit. But up to Google to identify what that limit is.
- Google Home Page: 9 or 10 ten products given in each
- Click more option to see other products.
- Google needs new products to contribute to Internet.
- Invent new products yet to be thought of.
Q5: WILL GOOGLE BE
MARKETS WHERE IT
DOMINATE, SUCH AS
- Can be succesful.
- Needs to keep being innovative and attentive to what the customers want.
- Keep process of innovation and continue to put products through to testing
so quickly .
- Dominating examples: GoogleMaps, Google Video (after buying YouTube)
THANKS for WATCHING