…In Plain English
Source: CommonCraft http://www.commoncraft.com/video/social-media 3
• October 2003—Facemash
• February 2004—The Facebook
– Exclusively for Harvard
– Gradually expanded to other
• September 2006—Facebook
open to everyone 13+
• February 2012—Facebook IPO
You are not the customer.
You are the product.
How does Facebook make money?
• Interact! Like, comment and share others’ content.
• Share photos, graphics, memes, videos and
• Add your two cents on what you’re sharing.
• Use Facebook to coordinate events.
• Schedule times to browse and post to Facebook.
Tips for Success
• July 2006—Twitter site launched
• Built on SMS (Short Message
Service) technology—same as text
• March 2007—Twitter popularity
explodes at SXSW Interactive
• 2012—Twitter has 500 million
users posting 340 million tweets
• Nov 2013—Twitter IPO
Biz Stone and
• How does Twitter make
– Promoted accounts,
tweets and trends
– Twitter ads not as
• Twitter is still recording
• Analysts believe as
Twitter’s user base
grows, so will ad
No money? No problem.
What are these Twits talking about?
Beware of bots!
Watch out for:
• New followers who look like
• @replies from users who look
• ANY link from someone you
• Unusual/suspicious DMs from
people you follow, especially if
they contain links
– Hey, I saw this funny pic of
– Have you tried this?
• Interact! Retweet, quote tweet and mention often.
• Follow people who talk about topics that interest you.
• Join conversations using existing hashtags or invent your own.
• Share videos, infographics and articles—timely/breaking news is
• Live tweet events you’re attending.
– Mention handles of speakers you’re quoting.
– Look for established event hashtags, use popular hashtags, or make one up.
– Tweet photos.
– Tweet before, during and after.
• Don’t feed the trolls.
Tips for Success
• December 2009 – Pinterest
• March 2010 – Closed Beta
– Was invitation-only
– Nine months later, 10,000
• December 2011 – The site
became one of the top 10
largest social network services
with 11 million total visits per
week Ben Silbermann,
• Pinterest is a Virtual Bulletin Board
• It allows you organize and share all of the beautiful things
you find on the Internet
• More specifically, you can share images of ideas and
inspirations that you come across in your web browsing.
What is it?
• Pin – A pin is an image added to Pinterest. You can link
to an image from a web site or upload it from your
• Repin – Once something is pinned, it can then be
repined by other Pinterest users. This is how content is
spread virally, similar to a retweet on Twitter.
• Board – This is where your pins live. You can have
separate boards for subjects.
You can setup your login to
be a stand-alone account,
or use it in combination
with your Facebook or
How do you sign up?
• Here are a few examples taken from the Pinterest website
Redecorate your Home!
Joy uses Pinterest to save decorating ideas for
her new home in LA. She saves patterns,
furniture, and accessories that catch her eye.
Plan a Wedding!
Divya and Ben use Pinterest to plan their
wedding. Their Moms can leave comments
about the dresses, flowers, and ties they pin
Why would I use it? What’s it used for?
• Pin directly to the URL you are pinning a picture
from. For example, if you are pinning from a
blog, pin directly to the blog post. This eliminates
the need to scroll through a bunch of content to
find the photo originally pinned.
• Do not copy word-for-word the content from
another website in your pin’s description. This
can constitute as copyright infringement and also,
occupy too much space on your board.
• Organize your boards – setup individual
boards based on topics or content. This
eliminates the “endless scroll”.
• Add the “Pin It” button to your Toolbar. This is
a utility provided for free by Pinterest and can
be downloaded at
How to Pin something to your board
• Click the add button
• When the pop-up “Add” box comes up, select
the type of pin you will be adding . You can
add a pin from a URL or upload one from your
Add a pin from
a URL (http://
Create a new
Upload a pin
Adding a Pin from a URL.
Type the URL in the box and what images are available will appear.
Drop the box down to select the board you want to pin it to, or type a new name to create a new board.
Click “Pin It” and then
select which board you
want. You can also opt to
share the pin with Twitter
and Facebook if you linked
Select the “Upload Pin” button if you want to share an image that resides on your computer.
Click the browse button to
Locate the image on your
Computer’s hard drive
After you locate the image,
a preview of the picture will
appear in the window below
the browse button. Select the
board you want to place the
Image on and add a description.
Click the pin it button when
Complete and share on Twitter
and/or Facebook if desired.
How to create a new board…
-Click the “Create Board”
-Select a board name
-Select a board category
-Select who is allowed to
pin to the board
-Click “Create Board”
You can find friends underneath the profile
Menu (the one that has your name).
All of your stats can be found on the stat bar when clicking on the “Boards” menu option.
Example – I have 8 boards which contain 136 pins. I have liked 1 board.
I have 15 followers and 43 others are following me.
**You can also edit your profile and check the activity from the stat bar.
Using the search box in the upper left hand corner,
type in a subject you wish to search for.
Pins matching the description will be returned.
If you see something that interests you, you can choose
to “Repin” the item to your board, like the pin (similar to
Liking something on Facebook) or Comment on the pin.
Likes, Repins and Comments will appear
below the photo
You can choose to search Pins, Boards or People by clicking
the links under the search bar.
How to Search
• There is an app for Pinterest which can be
downloaded from the App Store or Google
Play for Android.
The cost is FREE.
Is There an App for that?
Other Cool Pinterest Tools/Goodies
• Tailwind– http://www.tailwindapp.com/pinreach
• Snapito – http://snapito.com
• Pinstamatic – http://pinstamatic.com
• URL2Pin.it – http://url2pin.it
Tailwind is your source
for Pinterest influence
Takes screen shots and turns
them into pins.
Incorporates a screen grab tool,
adds "sticky note" images for
pinning text, and a Twitter profile
Take a screenshot of an
entire website and pin it