S I M O N M A J O R
S U M M A R Y
My core competencies centre on Linux / Solaris UNIX system administration, with a track
record for troubleshooting across competencies. These site reliability engineering skill sets
allow me to make valuable contributions to software development and project delivery, in
addition to fulfilling architecture roles. Exposure to a broad range of business and technical
environments has given me a strong cumulative insight starting from a systems design
engineering and management educational background.
E X P E R I E N C E
Career Break 01 / 2011 - 11 / 2013
Family & Business Carer
Sadly at this time my father became extremely ill and I switched to taking care of him and
his Independent Financial Advisor business.
Technical Keywords: Ubuntu, Solaris 11, Splunk>, SIP VoIP & Asterisk, IPv6, ITILv3, Zenoss, OTRS::ITSM, Python, XSLT, KVM, Eucalyptus, AWS,
EC2, Office 365, mod_security, Puppet, lxc, Arch Linux
Rank Interactive 10 / 2009 - 12 / 2010
Infrastructure Architect (Offshore & Onshore Data Centres) (via Rank Group)
• Responsible for Infrastructure Architecture.
• Hardware and design patterns for Cisco, Brocade, (F5) Load Balancers, HP & Sun server
and Storage were all standardised.
• 2 x offshore data centres rebuilt to my server & network designs. Including 1 x DC
relocation under my implementation leadership.
• I reabsorbed the security and change control functions when we were between these
personnel, and the churn in two network managers during this period.
• TCP/IP network latency and performance troubleshooting.
• Fraud forensics.
• Performance troubleshooting our BIR (Betting In Running) real time B2C pricing offering.
Later debugging the lower latency replacement Comet version.
• I continued to assist and mentor my former third level support personnel.
Additional Keywords: VMware, ESX, ESXi, IIS, tcpdump, wireshark, tcptrace, PHP, memcached, (Opsera) Opsview (Nagios), Splunk>
Rank Interactive 12 / 2008 - 09 / 2009
Platform Manager (UNIX, Informix, Windows) (via Rank Group)
• I jointly received the inaugural employee of the month.
• An Informix licensing reorganisation was conducted saving over £500,000 potential
Simon Major Curriculum Vitae- ii -
• Mitigating DDOS attacks.
• Redesign and rebuild of entire infrastructure for PCI DSS 1.2. successfully anticipating PCI
• I designed an enhanced web anti-scrape security solution using a web analytics for input.
• Reported to the CTO. Managed 12 personnel.
• Absorbed the responsibility of 2.5 senior / management FTE (Unix Manager + Enterprise
Architect + 50% Operations Manager).
• Perpetual on call and many 7 day weeks due to incident management and 4th level
escalation. Maintaining the 24/7 availability of multiple e-commerce / i-gaming web sites.
• Merger of Windows back office team into the UNIX front office team.
Additional Keywords: .Net, Oracle VM Server for SPARC (LDoms), Jumpstart, JASS, JET, LDAP, Agile, Scrum, Altassian Jira, HP C7000, OS X
Rank Interactive 01 / 2008 - 11 / 2008
Platform Manager (UNIX, Informix, Windows) (via Rank Group)
• Informix troubleshooting, including highlighting a shared memory bug to IBM’s back end
• I designed and deployed SANs and storage in three data centres.
• Mission critical Informix database servers were replaced with no downtime.
Additional Keywords: Sun Cluster, ActiveMQ, BI, LAMP, TCL
Blue Square 02 / 2007 - 01 / 2008
Unix Technical Analyst (Solaris, Apache, Informix) (via Rank Group)
• Revamp of the Apache web servers with automated build system and configuration
modularisation. The scalability improvements achieved an 80% reduction in resources with
and pushed performance enough to discover Solaris 10 SSL kernel bugs.
• Debugging and performance troubleshooting an offshore outsourced C++ game
• My technical advocacy resulted in significant implementations and procurement: Solaris
Zones virtualisation, ZFS and Blade Center 6000.
• Infrastructure liaison for a new B2B partnership with 888.
• Root cause analysis.
Additional Keywords: PHP, MySQL, Tomcat, CentOS, Postgres, dtrace, pthreads, Rational Purify, libumem
Simon Major Curriculum Vitae- iii -
Saker Enterprise Solutions 2000 - 02 / 2007
Director (Linux, Windows, SME)
Consulting to the small business market based upon Linux infrastructure and virtualisation for
Windows applications and integrations.
At the end of this period in order to realign with enterprise environment I undertook a relief
contract at the BT Northern Command Centre in Sheffield. This was a high maturity 24/7 shift
environment servicing tens of thousands of servers, both BT’s, and managed services.
Additional Keywords: CRM, Virtualisation, openSUSE, CentOS, Red Hat, (Novell) SEL (SUSE Enterprise Linux), Debian, ActiveState Perl, HP-
UX, AIX, Sequent Dynix, F15K (F25K)
Barclays Capital 2000 - 2001
UNIX Administrator (Solaris - Contractor)
• Creation of a Lights Out automated proactive patch installation mechanism for the
Operating System and layered products for Solaris 2.6, 7 & 8.
• Mixed project and BAU production support banking role.
• Sole responsibility for the legacy Tru64 environment.
Additional Keywords: Summit, VCS (Veritas Cluster Server), (Veritas Foundation Suite), VxFS, E10K
PwC 2000 - 2000
UNIX Infrastructure Administrator (Solaris - Contractor) (via nscglobal)
Providing EMEA region SMTP mail gateway, DNS and web proxy services for over 35,000
Additional Keywords: Network Associates’ Gauntlet, Innosoft’s PMDF, sendmail, bind, Lotus Notes, (Symantec) Veritas NetBackup, Netscape
Proxy, Inktomi Traffic Server
J.P. Morgan 1997 - 1999
Senior UNIX Administrator (Solaris) (via CSC)
• Redeveloping the London server build standard Sybase servers to use Veritas Volume
Manager instead of DiskSuite.
• Cross chargeable internal implementation consultant. Out of hours production support.
• Secondment to the Financial Business unit to help implement a new General Ledger in the
European branches using
• PeopleSoft Financials and CA Unicenter Work Load, both of which were alien to the London
Additional Keywords: (Symantec) VxVM (Veritas Volume Manager), SVM (Solaris Volume Manager) formerly known as ODS & SDS.
Simon Major Curriculum Vitae- iv -
SELEX Systems Integration Ltd 1996 - 1997
UNIX Administrator (Solaris, Tru64, SunOS, Linux)
Additional Keywords: Hummingbird eXceed, DEC, Compaq Alpha, OSF/1, Digital UNIX, EMC (Legato) Networker, Amanda, Rational (PureAtria)
ClearCase, cc:Mail, squid, regular expressions
SELEX Systems Integration Ltd 1995 - 1996
Technical Support Engineer (Netware, Windows, Mac OS)
E D U C A T I O N
Brunel University 1991 - 1995
B.Eng. "Special Engineering Programme" (multi-discipline systems engineering and management).
I ran a Linux server (Slackware) in my halls of residence since 1994.
Dartford Grammar School 1983 - 1990
S U P P L E M E N T A L
Items that do not fit well on my CV e.g. interests, training record and personality profiles, etc.
overflow to http://simonmajor.me/about/. Additional career history excluded from these
curriculum vitae may be found on LinkedIn (http://uk.linkedin.com/in/simonmajor).
S K I L L S
Awk Apache Unix
Veritas Volume Manager Veritas Cluster Server Sun Cluster
SAN ITIL Security
Informix Dtrace System Administration
Virtualization Performance Tuning Troubleshooting
VMware ZFS Red Hat Linux
CentOS Ubuntu NFS
Solaris Zones Solaris Volume Manager Netbackup
Splunk MySQL Puppet