Anisha G (MBA PR 2013-15)
Annette Stephen(MBA PR 2013-15)
Manasi Sakpal (MBA PR 2013-15)
REVA is the new REVA-lution
• It isn’t just a car, it’s a new concept, a new way of life-
that of the future.
• Quality matters more than the cost
The story thus far…
• The Reva Electrical Car Company (RECC, founded in 1994by
Chetan Maini, as a joint venture between the Maini Group of
Bangalore and Amerigon Electric Vehicle Technologies (USA)
• In 2001 Reva was launched by RECC.
• Mahindra acquired Reva in May 2010.
• It was positioned as a ‘green’, affordable car and aimed at young
and elderly couples and women. It was predicted to sell 1500
cars during the launch. However the numbers fell short to just
• There are more than 1000 Reva customers.
• Mahindra Reva previously, came up with a digital campaign,
Think and Ask.
• The customers uploaded videos starring themselves and their
friends posing questions about e-cars.
• Creating and sharing these videos enabled the participants the
chance to win a new Reva e20.
• With increasing number of questions, the features of the car
• More than 20,000 questions were asked.
The new campaign addresses…
• Battery power and efficiency: viewed as
• Negative price positioning: seen as too expensive,
not enough value for money
• Customer value: Customer should feel their
purchase is meaningful towards themselves and the
A musical concert- PR campaign tool
Emphasises revolution in the way we use the car highlighting its
The entire concert is powered by the batteries of the REVA cars
• REVA-lution is a musical concert show that is lit by the battery
of Mahindra Reva cars
• The concert stars Indian leading playback singer Shreya
• Mahindra Reva cars are lined up and piled in the back drop.
Direct connections are taken from the cars to show that the
batteries are used to light the instruments.
• Free tickets are provided for the customers
• Timely feedback taken from other viewers
We are seeking to cover…
• Primary objective- Brand retention and Visibility
Concert counters the negative image about the car
Reva’s uniqueness as a green electric car is re-
Reva’s position as a quality alternative to
fuel burning cars is also emphasised
We are seeking to cover…
• Secondary Objective: Customer Value
Customers are made aware of the correctness of
Brand loyalty is built
Brand promotion happens by word-of-mouth
Is it possible? YES…
• Engineering cars and set up to produce electrical energy
for the concert- highly possible
• Organising cultural event, high profile singer with
household appeal (such as Shreya Ghoshal) – subject to
date availability and other factors, possible
• Budget, money spent on the pre-event, event and the
How do we go about it…
• Customers receive e-ticket or pick them up
• Print and Radio advertisements
• Pamphlets and hoarding put up in various
parts of the city.
How much do we spend..
• TALENT COST: Shreya Ghoshal’s salary (subject to various factors)
• PRODUCTION COST- 5 lakhs (Stage, lights, music, seating and
• MARKETING COST- 7 lakhs (print ads, radio ads, pamphlets and
• STAFF COST- 50,000 (fees for the event management company)
• VENUE COST- subject to various factors
• TICKETING COST- 600 per ticket
• MISC COST- 3 lakh
• The misconceptions about the battery power can be
replaced with true understanding
• Brand loyalty built
• Pool of potential customers widened
• Revenues from the tickets
• Increased brand awareness