Lifebuoy Brand Communication Idea
• Shantanu Pramanik
• Karishma Khanna
• Abhigyan Choudhury
Past Successful Campaigns - Mahakumbh Roti Campaign
• Lifebuoy tied up with 1000 of local dhabas at kumbh mela which has huge
footfalls and also has huge sanitation issues.
• they designed a special stamp bearing message “lifebuoy se haath dhoya
kya ?” for dhabas and dhaba wala stamped that message on each chapatti.
• They also placed lifebuoy soaps in wash basins of those dhabas.
• to complete this campaign they posted a lots of posters and hoardings
around Allahabad city.
• This campaign caters to all those who were in kumbh mela. from those who
stayed there and for those who come and go.
Past Successful Campaigns - Gundappa Campaign
• In the film, noticeably set in rural India, a man walks to his local temple on
his hands, to express his gratitude to God because his son turns five, unlike
his other children who succumbed to diarrhea and other such infectious
diseases well before reaching this age.
• Here, lifebuoy is targets rural India where millions of people die each year
due to diseases like diarrhea which can be prevented by the simple act of
washing hands with soap.
• The whole video with sound track and surroundings designed in such a way
that it focuses on rural india but teaching a lesson to 130 million Indians.
• Objective : To reinforce the idea of keeping hands clean and increase
usage of Lifebuoy’s hand sanitizer by popularizing the concept which
hasn’t found complete acceptance as yet.
• TG: Primary SEC-B,C Male 25-45, who are aware of hygiene but do not pay
any heed to the same, also they are not accustomed with the usage of
• Approach: BTL activation and Sampling at places where the hand comes
across germs the most like Train handles, Restaurants etc.
• Expected Outcome: Greater awareness about personal hygiene induced
trial of Sanitizers thus increased discernment about the category and
increase sale of the brand & product.
in Local Train
Tying up with
the hot water
Sachet in food
• Hand Cut-out danglers to be suspended at handles of Local Trains.
• The danglers will be folded cards with the message saying that you might
get up on the train alone, but you don’t get down alone as millions of
germs accompany you which you would have acquired from the handles.
• The card will contain a small sachet of Lifebuoy hand sanitizer.
• The activation will happen on a Monday in the 9:00 am Mumbai locals
Implementation- Phase 1
Inside of the palm cut out danglers, the message of germs present in
train handles and a small hand Sanitizer Sachet would be placed
Feasibility of the Campaign
• Our campaign is an activation idea for Lifebuoy Sanitizer. The Indian
Railways provides a unique opportunity to communicate this message to a
large, predominantly large towns, small-towns and rural population.
• Its Feasibility study involves
Location : The trains (Local Trains)
Lifebuoy shall hire around 85 promoters/city, who shall hang the danglers on
berth handles and washrooms .
We expect no feasibility hurdle as our campaign’s implementation is simple &
require just some manpower.
Since the first phase is a one time BTL activation and Sampling the cost
incurred also would be much lesser
• Our Campaign shall be in collaboration with IRCTC. It shall be considered
as a social service campaign.
• On similar lines we aim to share costs with the Indian Railway Authority.
• The Estimated cost of the campaign is : 2 Crores
• The cost will be shared in the ratio of 70:30 (HUL:Indian Railways),as per
• In effect, this simple, clutter breaking idea will help Lifebuoy reach out to a
massive audience, at a fraction of the cost.
• Indian Railways carry 24 million passengers daily (roughly half of which
were suburban passengers)- Our Target Group.
• HUL can easily expect the message to reach at least 10 million potential
customers at a minimal cost in the span of 2 days.
Implementation- Phase 2
• In Phase-2, the tie-up with the Indian Railways will be strengthened and the campaign
will go to the next stage by distributing Lifebuoy Hand Sanitizer Sachet in food trays
served in express trains like Rajdhani and Duronto
• This would enforce trials and make the usage of hand sanitizers(which is limited now)
more frequent and habitual.
• Hand Sanitizer the category hasn’t fund much acceptance in India as of now because
of people’s reluctance to change, however such subtle trials would surely familiarize
the category and thus lead to more usage and increased purchase
Lifebuoy Hand Sanitizer as an additional product in the food trays in Express trains
would enforce trials and popularize the category.
Implementation- Phase 3
• In Phase-3, the sampling will go further by tying up with restaurants and replacing
bowls of hot lime water for washing hands with sachets of Lifebuoy Hand Sanitizers
• The Sanitizer Sachet would be served in the same bowl along with a card which will say
“ Is Lime water enough??” and then explain inside how hot lime water isn’t enough
because it only washes your hands but not clean it, which leaves back millions of
germs leading to diseases and thus consumers from now on should make it a habit to
use hand sanitizer for effective cleansing of hands
• This would yet again enforce trials and make the usage of hand sanitizers(which is
limited now) more frequent and habitual.
• As the usage grows the category will grow and since it was a Lifebuoy initiative, people
would certainly prefer the brand over competitors
After meals are finished in restaurants sachets of Lifebuoy Hand Sanitizer would be served
in a bowl instead of giving hot lime water for washing hands. Alongside Hand Shaped Cards
saying “Kya Nimbu Pani Kafi Hai” will be placed which will explain why a hand sanitizer is a
better cleanser after meals than a bowl of hot lime water would be. The campaign would
enforce the usage of sanitizers and making it as a habit