1. VC Pitching 101 Silicon Halton, Meetup #18 April 12, 2011 Philip Neukom Proﬁt Analytics Inc. neukomp@proﬁtanalytics.com
2. 1 Preparation 2 Approaching 3 The Pitch
3. 1 PreparationKnow the processResearch the VCsPrepare the Documentation
4. The processThe VCThe VC business modelThe funding journey Google: “Rick Segal” VC ProcessHow long does it take
5. Research the VCsWho has $ to invest?What type of deals do they do?Who have they funded?What expertise do they bring?
6. Prepare the DocumentationConcept pitch (1 sentence)Elevator Pitch (< 100 words)Pitch Deck (10-12 slides)Business plan (short & sweet) Exec Summary
7. 2 ApproachingGet an introductionGo directNDA
8. Get an IntroductionWhy get an introductionWho should introduce youHow do I ﬁnd someone to introduce me
9. If all else fails go directFind events where you ll “run” into the VC Check their blogsPick up the phoneSend an email
10. NDADon t ask for one – investors won t sign oneDon t put up a barrier to getting a meeting
11. 3 The Pitch
12. "Be clear. Be brief. Be seated."
13. Be clearCreate interest and a conversationFocus on the business (not technology and not on you): Market/Problem Product/Solution Target Customer/Ideal Customer/Who writes cheque How we make moneyNo jargonTemplate – Google: “David Cowan” bvp pitch template
14. Be brief
15. Be seatedThank you!
16. Philip Neukomneukomp@proﬁtanalytics.com www.ProﬁtAnalytics.com