The October 2010 opening of the 2,000-foot-long (609.6-meter) Colorado River Bridge at Hoover Dam was a cause for celebration for us as well as for the Federal Highway Administration and surrounding state departments of transportation. We provided construction management services for the Hoover Dam Bypass project, of which the bridge is one segment.
Name of project: Hurricane Protection Location: New Orleans,United States Services provided: PgM/PM/CM, coastal restoration, engineering, environmental, GIS support, cost estimating, CPM scheduling Details: Atkins (previously PBS&J) works with the US Army Corps of Engineers to develop and manage the $14billion post-Hurricane Katrina Storm Damage Risk Reduction program in New Orleans and southern Louisiana. We work side by side with USACE staff in developing and managing the Risk Reduction program as a part of Task Force HOPE. Management by CPM schedule is critical for the success of this effort. The work includes levees and floodwalls, locks, dams and sector gates, pump stations, as well as freshwater diversions, marsh creation and barrier island restoration.
Project name:Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Location:Georgia, USAServices provided:Site preparation, paving and lighting, construction documentationDetails:Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport’s Runway 10-28, also known as the 5th Runway, has been called the most important runway in America. Our team provided site preparation, paving and lighting, and construction documentation to bring this new, 9,000-feet runway to reality, and to alleviate delays at the world’s busiest airport.
Name of project:World Trade Centre RedevelopmentLocation:Lower Manhattan, New York, USAClient: Lower Manhattan Development CorporationServices provided by Faithful+Gould:Programme management and cost consultancy.What:A monumental program to deliver the construction of five major office buildings, two cultural buildings, the Lower Manhattan Transit Hub, and a museum and memorial dedicated to the victims of 9/11.The solution:Initially, F+G prepared detailed cost estimates for the redevelopment as part of the masterplan of the site and provided value engineering services to the owner. F+G is currently acting as programme and cost manager for the National September 11 Memorial and Museum.Faithful+Gould has amalgamated the different components of the program into a coherent and cohesive global estimate enabling stakeholders to make development decisions.
Project name: Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise Toll System Replacement Location:Florida, USAServices provided:General consultant Details: As the general consultant to the Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise since 1988, we are managing the conversion of traditional tolling lanes to open road-tolling and all-electronic tolling, and seeing impressive returns in the form of improved traffic operations and greatly reduced traffic accidents at tolling points.
Project name:Mecca MetroLocation:Saudi ArabiaServices provided:Concept design. civil engineering, procurement & supply chain management, systems engineering & integration, structural design & assessments, stations design &systemsDetails:The Al Mashaaer Al Mugaddassah Metro project (MMMP) in Saudi Arabia’s holy city of Makkah, was constructed to ease public transport between Arafat and Jamarat. The rail system will be a mass transit system with a peak of 72,000 passengers per hour per direction and includes nine stations, one depot and 18km of viaduct. As the rail systems design consultant, Atkins was responsible for procuring, managing and coordinating all the rail systems design through to operational readiness. We were also appointed MEP design consultant for all stations and depot works and responsible for checking and approving all the civil and structural works.The railway will meet all the relevant national and international safety and railway operations & maintenance standards using state-of-the-art technology. It was completed in time for Hajj in November 2010. Other info:Fastest ever delivery of a new Metro system Nine stations, one depot and 18km of viaduct in just 22 monthsDesigned to carry 72,000 passengers per hour in each direction – highest passenger density in the worldOccupied engineers in Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Hong Kong and the UK.
Project name:Asian Beach GamesLocation:OmanServices provided:Masterplanning & urban design, architecture CDM coordination, civil engineering, development infrastructure, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering Details:Atkins was responsible for all aspects of design for the 2010 Asian Beach Games in Oman, including the athlete's village, a four-star hotel, marina, residential and retail facilities. Our deep technical expertise, combined with our unparalleled experience of working in the region, enabled us to masterplan the site, design the games facilities and deliver the project detailed design in just 14 months - saving up to a year compared to a standard project cycle.
Project name:Etihad RailLocation:UAEServices provided:Concept designDetails:Atkins has been appointed Preliminary Engineering Consultant for early stages of the 1,200 km Etihad Rail project in the United Arab Emirates.The new freight and passenger rail network is intended to form a central element in the modernisation of the UAE’s goods distribution system, linking its ports, population centres, sources of raw materials and industry. Our 14-month contract will see a multidisciplinary team finalise the concept, and then prepare the preliminary design and tender documents for the construction of stages 0, 1 & 2 of the network. The $11bn railroad, which will form part of a planned Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) railway network, will stretch from the western region of the UAE near the Saudi and Qatari borders and travel across the desert to connect Abu Dhabi emirate with Dubai, Sharjah, other northern emirates and Fujairah outside the Gulf.
Name of project:King Abdulaziz International Airport Location:Jeddah, Saudi Arabia Services provided by Atkins:Architecture, multidisciplinary engineering design, special airport systems, design management, construction planning and scheduling, quantity surveying What:The project will result in the construction of a new 640,000 m² passenger terminal and associated buildings to increase the airport’s capacity to 30 million passengers per annum in phase 1 (the same throughput as Heathrow T5) with an ultimate phase capacity of 80 million passengers per annum (the whole of Heathrow currently). The project includes a 12,000 m² High Speed Rail Station and Transportation Centre which will seamlessly bring together passengers from air, rail and road. The Atkins solution:The scale, complexity and urgency of this major project means it is now occupying more than 500 people from 13 offices across the Group. The geographical spread of our design network means that a specialist team somewhere around the world is working on the project nearly every hour of every day. Our design management, planning and scheduling specialists are responsible for ensuring the project is delivered to time, quality and budget.
Name of project: Capital Fort Location:Sofia, Bulgaria Services provided:Multidiscipline concept design, architecture, landscape, structures and building services engineering Details:Originally inspired by the cathedral arches of Sofia, Atkins created the concept design for Fort Noks, a mixed used development in Bulgaria. A high rise tower and ‘L’ shaped low rise office building sit over a podium comprising a wide range of retail and conference facilities accessed through a grand atrium lobby. With some of the most spectacular views of Vitosha Mountain, the high rise office building reaches 135 metres high and is set to create a distinctive landmark in Sofia’s skyline. It will be visible to visitors driving in and out of the city centre and from the air as aircrafts approach Sofia International Airport. When completed it will be the tallest building in Bulgaria and the Balkans.
Name of project: European Rail Traffic Management SystemLocation: DenmarkServices provided by Atkins: Design and testing of ERTMS on the entire Danish rail network Client advisor for the implementation of ERTMS including specifications to the suppliersNew Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) system for Copenhagen’s suburban rail networkDenmark is the first country in Europe to introduce ERTMS on all railway linesDetails: Atkins is helping to deliver the most important combined upgrade in passenger and freight train services in Europe. The European Rail Traffic Management System (ERTMS) is being implemented across 3200km of track on the Danish rail network. The project promises a radical improvement in safety, performance, and capacity, and opens up the possibility of running non-stop trains across all borders.The Atkins solution: ERTMS, European Rail Traffic Management System, will see on-board computers fitted to every train which receive and relay information via trackside radio beacons that communicate with a central control. This improves timetable reliability and offers capacity improvements because services can be run closer together. Safety is also a key feature as ERTMS includes an Automatic Train Protection (ATP) system which applies a train’s brakes automatically if it is danger of a potential collision.
Project name:Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) TerminalLocation:Swinoujscie, PolandDetails:Atkins is overseeing the design and construction of a new £500m liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant by Polskie LNG in Swinoujscie, Poland. The facility is the first such installation in central Europe.The LNG terminal, due to open in 2014, will receive natural gas by sea from virtually any direction in the world, which will increase Poland’s energy security. Natural gas is regarded as the cleanest burning fossil fuel and its use will make a contribution towards reducing the country’s carbon footprint.
Project name:Valhall Redevelopment Location:NorwayServices provided by Atkins:Ergonomics and Human FactorsDetails:Atkins’ client Mustang Engineering (part of the Wood Group) is responsible for the platform topsides (process area). Atkins provided expertise during the Detailed Design and Construction phases, in an integrated design and assurance role and carried out Working Environment activities in accordance with NORSOK standards to ensure compliance with the rigorous Working Environment standards set by the customer, BP Norway.
Project name:ITER Fusion ReactorLocation:FranceServices provided:Civil engineering, structural design & assessments, mechanical engineering, project & programme managementDetails:ITER is the world’s latest experimental nuclear fusion reactor in southern France which aims to deliver nuclear fusion on a commercial scale offering safe, limitless and environmentally responsible energy.Atkins, as part of the Engage consortium, has signed one of the biggest engineering contracts in Europe with Fusion for Energy (F4E) on the ITER project.As architect engineer, the consortium will assist F4E during the entire construction process, from detailed design to works completion for the ITER buildings as well as the site infrastructures and the distribution of the power supplies. At the peak of the design activity, more than 230 engineers and designers will work on the contract.
1. Company overviewSeptember 2012 1
2. At a glanceAtkins is one of the world’s leadingengineering and design consultancies.We have the depth and breadth ofexpertise to respond to the mosttechnically challenging and time-criticalinfrastructure projects and the urgenttransition to a low carbon economy. 2
3. Our work Plan Design Enable We plan every aspect of our Atkins designs intellectual Our clients trust us with the clients’ projects, from cost capital such as management of projects, and risk planning, feasibility management systems and people and issues, studies and logistics, to business processes. We ensuring that deadlines are impact assessments and also design physical met, costs are controlled stakeholder engagement structures such as office and success is delivered. activity. towers, schools, bridges and highways. 3
4. Our corporate responsibility commitmentsSafety leadershipThere are many hazards associated with working in our sectors and we believe passionately in taking aleadership position to make our industry safer.Carbon managementWe continue to focus on embedding low-carbon design into all our work and being carbon critical in ourown operations.Respect for the environmentWe are committed to conducting business in an environmentally responsible manner. Our priorities arereducing waste and water efficiency.Excellence in deliveryContinually improving our business and striving for technical excellence in all we do.Worldwide community engagementWe are passionate about contributing to the communities in which we operate and encouraging ourpeople to join together to make a difference where it counts. 4
5. Our businesses worldwide Atkins UK Europe Middle North Asia Energy East America Pacific Defence, Aerospa Denmark Saudi Arabia Design and India Asia Pacific ce, Engineering Communications Norway Bahrain Qatar China Europe Water and Design and Environment Engineering Kuwait Ireland UAE Hong Kong Middle East Qatar Highways and Ireland Highways and Transportation Poland Kuwait Faithful+Gould North America Transportation Saudi Arabia Faithful+Gould Management Portugal Bahrain UK Consultants Sweden Oman Peter Brown Construction Rail Oman Faithful+Gould Faithful+Gould Water and UAE Environment Faithful+Gould Note: This is not a management structure 5
6. United KingdomOur areas of operation include water, environment, education, aerospace, defenceand infrastructure design as well as significant activity in transportation. Relative size of segment by revenue 8,924 People employed in the United Kingdom £859.9m Revenue 6
7. North AmericaWe provide infrastructure planning, engineering, construction management, environmentalconsulting, urban planning, architecture and programme management services. Relative size of segment by revenue 3,255 People employed in the North America £421.9m Revenue 7
8. Middle EastWe provide a full range of design, engineering and project management servicesfor buildings, transportation and other infrastructure programmes. Relative size of segment by revenue 1,972 People employed in the Middle East £171.4m Revenue 8
9. Asia Pacific and EuropeAsia Pacific: engineering, planning, urban design, architectural and rail design.Mainland China: urban planning, architectural and landscape architectural design.Hong Kong: urban rail development and highways/bridges design.European operations in Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal and Sweden. Relative size of segment by revenue 2,020 People employed in the Asia Pacific and Europe £163.5m Revenue 9
10. EnergyOperating in multiple geographies. We provide engineering and project management services and weare actively increasing our presence and capabilities in the energy market, including addressing alliedissues such as climate change, sustainability and energy security. Relative size of segment by revenue 1,182 People employed in Energy £128.4m Revenue 10
11. Our clientsRevenue by client type Key clients include: European Commission US Army Corp of Engineers Network Rail Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) UK Environment Agency Transport for London Florida Department of Transportation Etihad Rail Airbus Banedanmark (Rail Net Denmark) Federal Emergency Management Agency CLP Power Hong Kong Ltd Abu Dhabi Department of Transport Public sector: local government 30% UK Highways Agency Public sector: national government 19% EDF Energy Regulated 12% Crossrail Private sector 39% MTR Corporation UK Ministry of Defence PacifiCorp RTA Marine Agency 11
12. Recognition 12
13. Our workA selection of our projects fromaround the world
14. United Kingdom 14
15. London 2012 GamesOlympic Park Multidisciplinary engineering infrastructure design, project managing enabling works, site clearance and remediation, environmental impact assessment
39. Asian Beach GamesOman Overall site development which includes infrastructure work, 400 boat marina, 500 bed hotel, 500 bed marina apartments, athletes village, all games temporary facilities and landscaping
40. Etihad RailUAE Concept design and preliminary design and tender documents
41. King Abdulaziz International AirportSaudi Arabia Architecture, multidisciplinary engineering design, special airport systems, design management, construction planning and scheduling, quantity surveying
42. Asia Pacific 42
43. Central Wanchai bypassHong Kong Design and supervision of central reclamation
44. Hong Kong International AirportHong Kong Infrastructure design and environmental services
45. Songjiang ShimaoIntercontinental HotelPeople’s Republic of China Architecture, structural engineering, civil engineering
46. Meishan IslandPeople’s Republic of China Concept masterplan, urban design
47. Lotus HotelPeople’s Republic of China Architecture and landscape design
48. Terminal 3, Xian AirportPeople’s Republic of China Architecture and landscape design
49. MSD TianjinPeople’s Republic of China Architecture and landscape design
50. Europe 50
51. Airbus A380 CertificationUnited Kingdom, the Netherlands and UAE Overall project management and delivery of checkstress programme over four years
52. Copenhagen MetroDenmark Rail engineering, Intelligent Transport Systems and transport planning
53. Capital FortBulgaria Multidiscipline concept design, architecture, landscape, str uctures and building services engineering 53
54. European Rail Traffic Management SystemDenmark Client advisor for the design, implementation and testing of ERTMS on the entire Danish rail network (3200km)
55. Energy 55
56. Liquefied Natural Gas TerminalPoland Atkins is overseeing the design and construction of a new £500m liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant
57. Valhall RedevelopmentNorway Atkins provided expertise in an integrated design and assurance role and carried out Working Environment activities
58. ITERFrance Architect engineer for the building and civil infrastructures for the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor, ITER
59. British EnergyTechnical Services AllianceMultiple locations, United Kingdom Multidisciplinary project engineering and specialist nuclear capability