Non verbal communication

1,534 views
1,317 views

Published on

Published in: Education
0 Comments
4 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,534
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
14
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
112
Comments
0
Likes
4
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Most of us go about our day-to-day lives having conversations with people without giving much thought to the ‘way’ we communicate. However during our work it’s as much about ‘how’ we portray ourselves when we communicate as it is about the message we are trying to get across. Your body language says far more about you than the words will ever do. In fact, research studies have estimated that perhaps as much as 55% of all communication is based upon what people see and not what they hear. So, let’s take a look at some of the most common aspects of body language and what it conveys about us.
  • Kinesics - ki-nee-siks
  • Physical movements of body parts
  • Non verbal communication

    1. 1. Non Verbal Communication Actions Speak louder than words Shikha Sota
    2. 2. Message not expressed or sent inwordsGestures, Postures, Facialexpression Shikha Sota
    3. 3. Is it Important?Yes! Yes! Yes! “Only 7% of a message’s effect are carried by words, the other 93% through non -verbal means.” (Mehabian) Impossible NOT to Communicate! Shikha Sota
    4. 4. Non Verbal Communication• Facial expressions• Eye movements• Head movements• Hand movements• Posture• Way of talking• Closeness• Body contact Shikha Sota
    5. 5. Kinds of Body Language• Para linguistics• Kinesics• Postures• Proxemics• Haptics• Appearance Shikha Sota
    6. 6. Para linguistics• Refers to Vocal Communication• Consists of:  Pitch  Tone of Voice  Vocally produced noises  Pause  Volume  Rate of Speech Shikha Sota
    7. 7. Kinesics Shikha Sota
    8. 8. Facial ExpressionsAngry Lower eyebrow, stare intenselyFear Round eyes, open mouthDisgust Wrinkled nose, lowered eyelidsSurprise Raised eyebrows, wide open eyes, open mouthHappiness Round eyes, smiles, raised cheeks Shikha Sota
    9. 9. Gestures• Openness, Confidence – Open hands – Eye contact – Smile, leaning forward, relaxed – Standing straight• Indifference – Legs crossed – Shaking one foot – Glancing at exit – Yawning – Fidget Shikha Sota
    10. 10. NONVERBAL BEHAVIOR INTERPRETATIONBrisk, erect walk ConfidenceStanding with hands at waist Readiness, aggressionSitting with legs crossed, foot Boredomkicking slightlySitting, legs apart Open, relaxedArms crossed DefensivenessWalking with hands in pockets, Dejectionshoulders hunchedHand to cheek Evaluation, thinkingTouching, slightly rubbing nose Rejection, doubt, lyingRubbing the eye Doubt, disbeliefHands clasped behind back Anger, frustration, apprehension Shikha SotaLocked ankles Apprehension
    11. 11. Head resting in hand, eyes downcast BoredomRubbing hands AnticipationSitting with hands clasped behind Confidence, superiorityhead, legs crossedOpen palm Sincerity, openness, innocencePinching bridge of nose, eyes closed Negative evaluationTapping or drumming fingers ImpatiencePatting/fondling hair Lack of self-confidence; insecurityTilted head InterestStroking chin Trying to make a decisionLooking down, face turned away DisbeliefBiting nails Insecurity, nervousness Shikha SotaPulling or tugging at ear Indecision
    12. 12. Eye behaviourExpression of InterpretationeyesSideways glance of eyes SuspicionNo eye contact DisinterestHalf raised eyebrows WorryHalf closed eyes BoredomAvoiding eye contact Dishonesty & deceptionConstant gaze & Intense love & affectionrepeated mutual eyecontact Shikha Sota
    13. 13. Proxemics Related to space & distance• Intimate distance 0 to 18 inches• Personal distance 18 inches to 4 feet• Social distance 4 to 12 feet• Public distance 12 feet to the limit of sight Shikha Sota
    14. 14. Haptics• Study of touch as nonverbal communication• Includes  Handshake  A pat on shoulder  Shaking hands  Holding hands  Pat on the back Shikha Sota
    15. 15. Do’s & Don’ts Shikha Sota
    16. 16. • Have eye contact , but don’t stare• Don’t cross your arms or legs• Don’t be afraid to take up some space• Don’t fidget Shikha Sota
    17. 17. • Relax your shoulders• Nod when you are listening• Don’t slouch, sit up straight• Lean, but not too much Shikha Sota
    18. 18. • Don’t touch your face• Keep your head up• Slow down a bit• Don’t stand too close Shikha Sota
    19. 19. Smile!!“Youare not completely dressed until your wear a smile ". Shikha Sota

    ×