2. Creativity means to make something new or original of value
3. Is Creativity Valued?Is playing around just wasting time?
4. Who would think to make a cloud indoors? Dutch artist Berndnaut did.
5. Sir Ken Robinson Were all born with deep natural capacities for creativity AND systems of mass education tend to suppress them. It is increasingly urgent to cultivate these capacities -- for personal, economic and cultural reasons -- and to rethink the dominant approaches to education to make sure that we do. We must explore the nature of creativity and how emerging technologies can extend our creative abilities and can transform teaching and learning at the same time.
6. Education Continues to…. 1) promote standardization and a narrow view of intelligence when human talents are diverse and personal. 2) promote compliance when cultural progress and achievement depend on the cultivation of imagination and creativity. 3) promote education as linear and rigid when the course of each human life, including yours, is organic and largely unpredictable. - Are Schools Killing Creativity? (TED Talk)
7. Fertile Minds need feeding Most of us are starving
8. What do you think? “Creativity in the schools might mean a day off the curriculum to do "the arts" after pupils have sat tests. Its a myth to call this creative learning, she says. Creativity must be embedded into everyday teaching and learning. "Many schools havent got a handle on the language of creativity and are reticent about teaching more creatively," she says. "They are worried they wont achieve standards in other things.”” From: Fertile minds need feeding Are schools stifling creativity? Ken Robinson tells Jessica Shepherd why learning should be good for the soul. Jessica Shepherd, The Guardian, Tuesday 10 February 2009
11. Models of CreativityIdeas must be of personal relevancefor extensive exploration:• Research• Experimentation• Collaboration• Refinement
12. What do you see?
13. Dr. Robert KellyCreativity is not just the exclusive, rarifiedterritory of artists.Business leaders and economists areembracing it, social theorists are calling formore of it, ordinary people are tapping intoit to create their own content in onlinespaces like YouTube and MySpace.Society as a whole is starting toacknowledge that creativity is thefundamental human trait thattranscends disciplines and leads todesign, invention, collaboration andinnovation.
14. Fostering a CreativeSustain over time Disposition
15. Time Barriers to Creativity Find the right answer quickly End Product No Mistakes Failures not valued
16. make create design Generative buildcompose choreograph source DO
17. Don’t treat it asprecious
18. Idea richIdeational fluency Comfortable with ideas
20. Studies show that we loose our divergent thinking ability as wemature. Using eight tests of divergent thinking, researchersgave the tests to 1600 preschool children."The first tests were given when the children were betweenthree and five years of age. Ninety-eight percent of thechildren scored in the genius category.When these same children took the identical test five yearslater, only 32 percent scored that high.Five years later it was down 10 percent.Two hundred thousand adults over the age of 25 have takenthe same tests. Only two percent scored at the genius level." --Land and Jarman
21. Make the strange familiar and the familiar strange
22. Metaphor Thinking with images that relate to one another in unusual waysJuxtaposition….that deepens the way you understand the original thing/object/subject