What is FIRST?
● Inspiration and
● Recognition of
● Science and
A national organization with a mission to:
"..inspire young people to be science and
technology leaders, by engaging them in
exciting mentor-based programs that
build science, engineering and technology
skills, that inspire innovation, and that
foster well-rounded life capabilities
communication, and leadership."
FIRST lives for STEM: Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Mathematics
There are four levels of robot
competition in FIRST...
● Junior FIRST Lego League (6-9 years old)
● FIRST Lego League (9-14 years old)
● FIRST Tech Challenge (14-18 years old)
● FIRST Robotics Competition (14-18 years
Junior FIRST Lego League
Also known as Jr. FLL
● 6-9 years old
● Use Mindstorm kit
● Brain- NXT brick
● Beginner programming- drag and drop
● Researching a real world problem- central
● Core Values
FIRST Lego League
Also known as FLL
● 9-14 years old
● Same set-up as Jr. FLL
● We are a team.
● We do the work. Our coaches and
mentors help us learn, but we find the
● We share our experiences and
discoveries with others.
● We are helpful, kind, and show respect
when we work, play, and share. We call
this Gracious Professionalism.
● We are all winners.
● We have fun!
FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) or FIRST Robotics
● 120 pound robots
● Java programming
● No central theme
● Emphasis on grasp of FIRST ideals and engineering
What is FIRST Tech Challenge(FTC)?
Build an 18" x 18" x 18" robot primarily using:
NXT Brick and programming
You can design, build, and present your
very own robot using your skills in:
● Problem solving
● Friendly competition
● and many more...
Your robot may look like this...
It will be what you envision it to be.
Day 1: Intro to kit and robotics
Day 2: Build the robot (finish chassis)
Day 3: Finish building the robot
Day 4: Programming and start CAD
**think about what you want your robot to do!
Day 5: Finish CAD and present