Endangered Species Oil Pastel HandoutDocument Transcript
Name: ________________________________________________ Block: _____________
Contour Lines & Oil Pastels
TASK: You will continue to explore color schemes, and
revisit contour line drawings for this next project. You will
create a contour line drawing of an endangered animal, then
add color with oil pastels, using a specific color scheme.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
1. Research and choose an endangered animal or species.
2. Find interesting reference images for your chosen animal. Things to think about as
a) Choose photos that are high quality and detailed.
b) Your drawing should be a detail of the animal, not necessarily it’s entire body or
environment, so find images that are close-up.
c) Be sure your picture will increase in size and/or crop to a square.
3. Format your photograph in Photoshop to become 8” square and then print it full size
and in color.
4. Using a light box, or the window, trace around the essential contour lines and shapes
of your animal. This should be done on newsprint. Go over your lines with sharpie.
5. Use the grid drawing system to transfer your drawing to final 8” x 8” drawing paper.
6. Participate in demonstration and experiment with oil pastels in your sketchbook and
on art cards.
7. Choose a color scheme for your oil pastel drawing. Remember your options:
Monochromatic, Complementary, Split
Complementary, Analogous, and Triadic.
8. Fill in areas with pure color and blended color using
9. Mount your drawing on paper that compliments the
color scheme chosen.
10. Finally, you will write a small blurb about the animal
– including its common name, Latin name, location
and habitat, general information about the animal,
and ways we can help prevent its extinction. This will
be attached to your final drawing and should be
created with a high level of craftsmanship.
Contour Line & Oil Pastels
Completion of Requirements (1pt. each)
Photo formatted properly in Photoshop
Contour lines & image transferred properly
Oil pastels practiced in sketchbook/art card
Color scheme successfully executed
Well written blurb designed and attached
Criterion below will be evaluated on
this 12-point scale:
12. Exceeds Expectations
9-11. Meets All Expectations
6-8. Meets Most Expectations
1-5. Meets Few Expectations
Composition/Application of Elements & Principles
Does the design and composition of your animal work within the page to create a cohesive drawing? Is
there emphasis on the appropriate areas? Does your eye flow effortlessly through the piece? Does your
piece appear cluttered or empty? Have you used contour lines and color effectively to create an
Creative Problem Solving
Did you take the scope of the assignment and bring new and interesting thoughts and visual imagery to it?
Since you had to complete an oil pastel drawing of an endangered species and include a specific color
schemes to it, were you successful in creating a visually interesting drawing? Does your drawing go
beyond the ordinary and expected, and apply the chosen color scheme successfully?
Application of Materials & Processes
Is your Endangered Species contour line and oil pastel drawing created using the techniques taught in
class? Did you use Photoshop, pencil, newsprint, contour lines, the grid drawing system and oil pastels
effectively demonstrating the techniques taught in class? Is your image sized properly? Do you
successfully break down the image into essential contour lines? Do you apply and blend oil pastels as
Are there obvious signs of care and quality in the production and creation of your piece? Does your piece
meet conventional standards of craftsmanship? Is your paper wrinkled or torn? Are the oil pastel crumbs
and smearing? Is your piece mounted effectively and including the copy blurb about your animal?