Abstract & Detail Exercise
For each image on the following pages, answer the questions
below in your sketchbook…
1. What is the subject?
2. What is the light source (natural or artificial)?
3. What direction is the light coming from (backlight, right
side, left side, top, etc.)?
4. What is the photographers point-of-view (above, below, to
the left, etc.)?
5. What shapes and patterns do you see?
6. How much of the subject has been cropped out (25%, 50%,
7. What compositional tools are being used?
* To make your job easier, I have completed the first image. *
1. Center of a flower
2. Natural light
3. Side light shining through petal
4. Above and inside flower
5. Dashed lines, ovals
6. 85% cropped out
7. Cropping, Balancing Elements,
Leading Lines, Diagonals