MOHAMMAD ALI JINNAH UNIVERSITY
M. Shaharyar Saeed
Introduction to logic
ARTICLE # 01
Utility of Logic
Dr. Shafqat Bukhari
Utility of Logic
What is Logic?
Logic is for constructing proofs, which give us reliable confirmation of the truth of the proven
The term “logic” is used quite a lot, but not always in its technical sense. Logic,
strictly speaking, is the science or study of how to evaluate arguments and
Refers to a user's view of the way data or systems are organized. The opposite of
logical is physical, which refers to the real organization of a system.
Some Points on the Utility of Logic
1. * Enables clear thought through a rigorous demand for truthfulness.
2. * Because thought processes are clarified, the use of logic enables
consideration of all available options for opinion and action, and decreases
the persuasive power of popular opinion.
3. * Because available options have been fairly considered, the use of logic
increases the likelihood that subsequent opinions and actions will adhere
most closely to the truth.
4. * Adherence to the truth, while sometimes painful, is the human condition
more likely to lead to satisfactory outcomes in most situations.
5. * Therefore, logic’s relevance to everyday life is that its use improves the
likelihood of satisfactory outcomes in the day-to-day decisions each person
6. There are many benefits to the actual study of logic the way it is taught in
schools and colleges and here are some of them.
7. The first benefit of logic is that it helps the mind to think in a certain
8. Human nature calls for use of patterns and stereotypes while making
decisions. You could also add to this list prejudices and generalizations that
are often erroneous. By using logic, we eliminate these and thus ensure that
the answer we arrive at is more plausible and logical. It is also a way in
which you can get several people to think about the same problem and arrive
at the same answer to each person's satisfaction.
9. Logic is not used only in an abstract sense but is the basis of a large number
of other fields. From the sciences to the arts and even to commerce and
industry, all of these use different versions of this field and in various ways.
10. Therefore, by having a good understanding of the subject, you will
automatically be able to have an edge over others working in the field or
studying it for the first time.