1. OLPC Vietnam
Visit to the Vung Vieng Village -
Report (June 2010)
2. OLPC (One Laptop Per
• OLPC = US NGO
• OLPC Goal : «to create educational
opportunities for the world’s poorest children
by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost,
low power, connected laptop with content and
software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-
3. "It's an education project,
not a laptop project."
9. Distribution models
• 1.6 million laptops (october 2009)
• Laptops are sold to governments to be
distributed through the ministries of
• Laptop are property of the child
• G1G1 program
10. OLPC in Asia
11. Warranty applied only if
you disassemble the
• Sugar is a free desktop environment (GPL) designed with
the goal of being used by children for learning.
• Sugar does not use the «desktop», «folder» and
«window» metaphors (focus on one program at a time).
• Activities, no applications !
• Work on XO-1 laptop or included in Linux distributions.
Mostly written in Python
• Hundred of activities: math, physics, programming,
english, serious games, ...
13. Pilot Experiment in
• Vung Vieng is located in Bai Tu Long Bay,
• 40km from mainland
• Deployment in nov 2009 by Nancy Severs
• 12 XO + solar panels
14. After 6 months
• Every laptops are working correctly and are used
everyday by children. Children enjoyed using XOs.
• Kids know how to use their computers.
• XOs are not part of the curriculum of the children
• Sustainability problem: teachers stay only one year
in the VV school.
• Only a limited set of activities seem to be used by
children. Not enought vietnamese contents.
15. What to do now for
OLPC Vietnam ?
• Build a user community for SUGAR in Vietnam
• Build OLPC Vietnam
• Develop vietnamese contents
• Write (or translate) vietnamese
• Train teachers
16. Follow OLPC-Nepal
• OLE Nepal started 3 years ago
• 30 people (15 contents developers)
• 4 keys for success (according to Rabi
Karmacharya): 1) content, 2) educators 3)
network 4) capacity
17. Some projets for OLPC
• Translate OLPC documentation, books,
ﬂyers in Vietnamese
• Translate Activities in Vietnamese (Scratch)
• Test EToys in Vietnamese (font problems)
• Develop vietnamese curriculum
• Developers training: Sugar, Python,
18. What do now for VVV ?
• Made an evaluation of activities used by
• Reinstall machines with a selection
vietnamese activities, update to the last
version of Sugar (0.82.1 => 0.88)
• Train teachers, develop local support
• How to scale up to others villages ?