1. Professional Development Presentation Notes Oakwood City Schools
2. Background NotesWords/Sentences in red are items that I am unsure about, unclear about, or that needadded/changed.Words/Sentences in green are things that Josh is going to be doing.I will make a puzzle in the shape of the Oakwood “O” out of tagboard and painted inthe Oakwood colors. At the end of each section of PD types, there is a puzzle piecepicture.Whoever is presenting at the time will put up the piece of their puzzle which willeventually make the Oakwood “O.”Have we covered everything we said we would talk about from our proposal to theconference?I will probably be replacing the current videos in the Prezi with better quality videos.(same videos)How many puzzle pieces do we want? 6? Do we want to add committee to it? choiceboard?Do we want to add specific parts of our PD handbook? (Parts have been put in thepresentation)
3. Presentation Length5 min - Introduction – Kimbe (We can all introduce ourselves)10 min - Puzzle Piece Activity – Think and Share (Your School’s PD)10 min - Committee Formation and Purpose – Ann and Melinda10 min - Puzzle Piece Activity #2 (Obstacles to a PD Committee)15 min - Choice Board – Karen10 min - PD Day – Kimbe5 min - Site Visits -- Kimbe10 min- PLCs – Monica10 min - Pizza and PD – Monica10 min - Conferences and Workshops – Karen10 min - Centerville – Ann and Melinda10 min - Puzzle Piece #3 – What do you think you could implementin your district? Do you have anything else to share?5 min - Questions????
4. Pre-PresentationBefore presentation begins, do we want quotes about professional developmentswitching on the screen? I found some on the internet that might be interesting forpeople to see before we start.
5. Puzzle Piece Activity #1 (Kimbe)We will hand out the paper puzzle pieces to everyone while Kimbe is explaining theactivity.Ask everyone to write down the number 1 and answer the following questions:What does your district do for PD?How is the allocation of PD funds determined?Who sets the goals and objectives for PD in your district?Share?Have the audience hold onto their puzzle pieces because they will be using them later.
6. Introducing the Committee (Kimbe)Introduce the members of our committee and what our roles are at Oakwood.Josh will play the video at the top of the screen while Kimbe is talking (the video is ourPD committee at a regular meeting).
7. Committee Formation (Melinda/Ann)Melinda/Ann explain how our committee formed and who is involved in ourcommittee.
8. Committee Formation 2 (Melinda/Ann)Josh will play the video by Allyson about the role of the administrators.Josh will play the video by Dr. Scalzo about the history of the committee.
9. Committee Formation 3 (Melinda/Ann)Melinda/Ann explain the goals of the committee.Melinda/Ann explain the roles of the committee representatives.
10. Committee Formation 4 (Melinda/Ann)Josh shows both videos on the screen. These videos build upon what Melinda/Ann justexplained concerning the roles.The top left video shows the PD committee approving a requestThe bottom right video shows the PD committee getting ready for PD Day.
11. Puzzle Piece Activity #2 (Melinda/Ann)Melinda/Ann ask everyone to write down the number 2 on their puzzle piece andanswer the following question:What would be the biggest obstacles and/or benefits in implementing the ProfessionalDevelopment Committee Model in your district?Share?
12. Choice Board (Karen)Karen talks about our system for creating our goals and putting them into the goalssheet.
13. Choice Board 2 (Karen)Karen talks about the different parts of the Choice Board. There will be a picture of thewhole Choice Board and then it will be broken up into its four different parts -- 1)Sharing Out, 2) Visitation, 3) Collaboration, 4) On-Going PD.
14. PD Day (Kimbe)
15. PD Day 2 - Planning (Kimbe)Kimbe talks about what we do for our planning prior to PD DayKimbe talks about the chart we make to figure out all the details of our PD Day.
16. PD Day 3 - PD Book (Kimbe)Kimbe talks about the PD book. There are 4 pictures from the PD book:1) Cover2) Descriptions of the sessions3) Breakdown of each block/half day4) Building mapKimbe talks about the RSVP procedure.
17. PD Day 4 - PD Day (Kimbe)Kimbe talks about our PD Day.Kimbe talks about the different options available on PD Day.Josh will play the 4 videos:1) Signing In2) CPR Session3) Language Arts Common Core Session4) Autism Session
18. PD Day 5 - Evaluation (Kimbe)Kimbe talks about the survey that we create prior to the PD Day.Kimbe talks about the survey results.Kimbe talks about the survey graphs
19. PD Day 6 - Finish? (Kimbe)How do we expand on the professional development teachers learned after the PDDay?One idea, for an iPad app session, was to have everyone use a Google Doc and list theirfavorite apps. The list could be expanded even after the PD Day and teachers still goback and check out new apps that others have listed.
20. PD Day 7 - Wrapping-Up (Kimbe)The final slide will show the puzzle piece. Kimbe places the “PD Day” puzzle piece upon the board.
21. Site Visits (Kimbe)Kimbe talks about some of the places staff members can visit for a site visit. Visiting artmuseums, state parks, and other schools gives staff members the opportunity to chooseplaces that are relevant to their own needs and helps to meet their personal goals.
22. Site Visits 2 (Kimbe)Staff members can request site visits that they would like to go on.Here is a list of possible site visits that staff members were given prior to PD Day.
23. Site Visits 3 (Kimbe)The final slide will show the puzzle piece. Kimbe places the “Site Visits” puzzle pieceup on the board.
24. PLCs (Monica)
25. PLCs 2 (Monica)Monica explains PLCs
26. PLCs 3 (Monica)
27. PLCs 4 (Monica)Here is one example of our PLCs -- Hyperstudio. The PLCs generally meet during ourfirst PD Day and decide when and how often they will meet after that.Josh will play the video of the Hyperstudio PLC.
28. PLCs 5 (Monica)
29. PLCs 6 (Monica)Here is another example of our PLCs -- Lange School.Josh will play the video of the Lange PLC.
30. PLCs 7 (Monica)
31. PLCs 8 (Monica)Monica explains some of the PLCs offered in our district this year and explains thatuniversity credit can be earned.
32. PLCs 9 (Monica)The final slide will show the puzzle piece. Monica places the “PLCs” puzzle piece up onthe board.
33. Pizza & PD (Monica)
34. Pizza & PD 2 (Monica)Monica explains the purpose of the Pizza & PD and gives some examples of Pizza & PDsoffered in our district.
35. Pizza & PD 3 (Monica)The final slide will show the puzzle piece. Monica places the “Pizza & PD” puzzle pieceup on the board.
36. Conferences & Workshops (Karen)Karen talks about sending teachers to conferences and workshops. Karen includes ourpolicy about sending more than one person at a time to a workshop or conference.
37. Conferences & Workshops 2 (Karen)Here are a couple examples of conferences where we have sent our staff.A Google Doc is used to check who will be attending workshops offered by SOITA. Ourstaff members have also been attending various workshops offered for Dibels.
38. Conferences & Workshops 3 (Karen)The final slide will show the puzzle piece. Karen places the “Conferences &Workshops” puzzle piece up on the board.
39. Centerville Institute (Melinda/Ann)Melinda/Ann talk about the Centerville program and the different sessions that areoffered.
40. Centerville Institute 2 (Melinda/Ann)The final slide will show the puzzle piece. Melinda/Ann place the “CentervilleInstitute” puzzle piece up on the board.
41. Oakwood “O” Puzzle (Kimbe)The last puzzle piece should now be up. The puzzle should be in the shape of theOakwood “O.” Briefly explain that these are the elements that help to make up theprofessional development of Oakwood.
42. Puzzle Piece Activity #3 (Kimbe)Kimbe asks everyone to write down the number 3 on their puzzle piece and answer thefollowing question:What do you think you could implement in your district?Share?
43. Final SlideThe final slide will show a computer with the software we use in PDC as well as thesoftware used in this presentation. Ask if anyone has any questions or has anythingelse to share.What other types of software do we use?