RAMADAN PROGRAM 2013/1434H ISLAMIC
CENTRE OF CANADA
July, 2013 –
General Volunteer team
12:00pm Introduction (Leaders names, roles)
12:15pm Opening dua’a - Sh. Abdallah Idris Ali
Rights and Responsibilities
Registration and Name Tags
Assignments/roles/responsibilities (10 areas to be added)
Meal (Iftaar and snacks)
Pledge to serve
1:15pm Question and answers
1:30pm ISNA Tour/Getting to know your team managers/leads
1:40pm Duhr Prayer
day is Monday 8th
July, 2013 (Tarawih) & Ends with
Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid Party on August 18th
Website Tour / Competition DEMO (competition)
Leadership Team (Introduction – plus more to come)
What can volunteers expect from management
◦ 65% high school – we had 120 people in 3 days!
◦ 20% University
◦ 15% elementary/middle school, adults etc
To receive guidance, training and direction for your
To be treated as a coworker and not just free help
To have a clear understanding of the job including
duties, responsibilities, time commitment
To have the opportunity to develop skills and be
assigned roles that offer you new professional and
Be sincere in your community service
You must be dependable, reliable and professional
To carry out duties promptly
Learn about and uphold ISNA Canada’s policies
Accept the guidance and decisions of ISNA Canada
Staff and Leadership Team
You must speak up about any problems or issues so
that they may be discussed and resolved.
To be punctual, and notify the Volunteer
Management Team as early as possible, if you
anticipate delays or absences
To be alert, (body and mind) while volunteering
To provide positive and constructive feedback to
ISNA staff and suggest improvements or changes
for your role
Service to humanity, is service to Allah (SWT)
A place to make new friends and discover new
An opportunity to showcase your skills and gain
A place to share new ideas, interests and
passions and your Knowledge, wisdom and
experience with others
Volunteer Hours and Reference Letters
Free Snacks (!!!)
Invitation to Annual Volunteer recognition Event
(End of the year)
Islamic Ethical Standards of Conduct At All Times
◦ Treating anyone and everyone with utmost dignity
and respect (visitors, staff, fellow volunteers etc.)
◦ This means avoiding any behaviour that is
considered disrespectful, discriminatory and that
could provide any discomfort to the other individual.
◦ Dress in a manner that is modest, neat, and well
◦ There is no specific uniform required
◦ Be a an islamic role model internally and
Evaluations for all based on:
Team leaders – higher levels of responsibility
Attendance and Punctuality
◦ Attend your assigned role in a punctual and
professional manner (according to schedule)
◦ Please do not be late for your shift or coming back
from a break as being late means that your fellow
volunteers will be delayed in going on their break.
◦ Every volunteer is expected to report to his/her
shift on time and to stay for its duration.
◦ In the event that you are unable to attend a team
meeting, or a scheduled volunteer shift, please notify
the Volunteer Management Team, through e-
mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. We
understand that emergencies do arise, however, as we
depend on our volunteers for the smooth delivery and
execution of projects, we ask that you notify us at
least 24 hours in advance of your expected shift.
◦ In the event of a fire alarm/fire, you must evacuate
the ICC using the nearest safety exit. Once
outside, find your way to the front entrance for
◦ In the event of a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 if
necessary and immediately thereafter, notify a
staff member of the situation.
◦ In this type of instance, please remain calm and
assure the individual that you have notified authorities
and that help is on the way.
Before your shift:
Arrive at least fifteen minutes before your shift and check in at the
Volunteer Management room (next to book store)
Once there, sign in and collect your id badge (Lanyard)
After registration/sign-in, you will be directed to your team manager/lead for
further instructions – proceed to your designated work area.
After your shift:
Return to Volunteer Management room to sign out and return your
lanyard (this is mandatory!)
Registration occurs daily in Ramadan and
Lanyards/Badges will be distributed then.
Volunteers must wear their Lanyards/Badges and must
have them visible at all times when on a shift.
Do not give your id to any other persons – as this will lead to
If lost/misplaced, they are non-replaceable , there will be a
$2 charge for a replacement
Registration - Badges
Assignment in areas/teams:
1. Iftar (weekends) – setup/takedown/turnaround
2. Ushering (daily) – in corridors, gymnasium, musallah,
3. Volunteer room (daily)
4. Donation Boxes (daily, 27th
night special role)
5. Children services (daily)
6. Ittikaaf Leads (last 10 nights)
7. Security (daily)
8. Parking (daily)
9. Bookstore (daily)
10. Cleaning (daily)
11. Youth Program / Rooms (daily)
CHECKLISTS & ON THE JOB TRAINING AVAILABLE – DO NOT PANIC!
1. Iftar: (in charge is Dr Ghany)
1. Kitchen Sr Umaima
2. Setup/takedown Br Chihab Kaab
3. Food packaging Sr Nahid
4. Potluck/recycling Sr Farida/ Sr Raadiya
2. Ushering (in charge is Sr Omaya)
1. Corridors, (Sister & brother tba)
2. Gymnasium (Sister & brother tba)
3. Foyer/entrance (Sister & brother tba)
Sisters Sr Nadia, Sr Sadia,
Brothers 2 tba
3. Volunteer room Sr Omaya + tba
4. Donation Boxes Sr Aisha Rakie*, Sr. Amena Balbaki
5. Childrens Services Sr Yasmin, Sr Qadijah Yusuf
6. Cleaning Sr. Aisha* Sr. Marien Yusuf
7. Youth Room/Program Brother & Sister lead (tba)
8. Facility Support Br. Alassis (to be confirmed)
9. Ittikaaf Leads Overall Br Ahmed Shakir Vahed, Backup?
Youth ittikaaf – Br Usman
10. Security: Br. Ahmed Shakir, TBA (+ hired help)
11. Parking: Br. Shoaib & Br. M. Ramadan
12. Bookstore: Br. Arshad*, plus 2
Level 1: YOU – if there is a mess please fix it
Level 2: Team leads
1. Dr Ghany (Iftaar, 27th
2. Sr. Omaya Rakieh (Volunteer, Ushering, Bookstore, Parking, Youth rooms)
3. Br. Shakir Vahed (Ittikaaf, security, facilities support)
4. Sr. Seema Khan* / Sr Aisha Rakie* (Donation boxes, Babysitting, Cleaning,
Level 4: Management
Sr Seema Khan * (plus mimbar / announcements – everyone to follow protocol!)
* Staff (also Br Ilyas, Br Naqvi, Br Mansoor, Br Shameem)
You will be provided with Free Snacks and
water for every evening you volunteer –
available in the Volunteer Management room!
Please complete before you leave!
◦ Your contact information
◦ An emergency contact’s information
◦ Your requirements for a reference letter and
◦ Please go to registration desk!
Need reference letters?
Need volunteer form (hours) signed?
◦ You must request this in writing (before the end of
Ramadan – 7th
◦ InshAllah all will be completed post-Ramadan.
◦ No forms will be signed and no requests for letters will be
accepted via email after Ramadan.
#1 Be Sincere!
“Actions are (judged) by motives (niyyah), so each man will have
what he intended. Thus, he whose migration (hijrah) was to Allah
and His Messenger, his migration is to Allah and His Messenger;
but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might
gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for
which he migrated” (Al-Bukhari & Muslim).
#2 Be Friendly
“Your smile for your brother is charity.” (Tirmidhi)
#3 Be understanding and compassionate
“Allah shows compassion only to those among His
slaves who are compassionate.” (Al-Bukhâri and
#4 Strive for excellence
“Verily, Allah loves that when anyone of you does a
job he should perfect it" (Al-Bayhaqi)
#5 Be humble
"…and no one will exercise humility for Allah's sake,
except that Allah will raise him up". (Muslim)
#6 Keep an open-mind and be willing to
"The seeking of knowledge is obligatory for every
#7 Be a team player!
“The similitude of believers in regard to mutual love,
affection, fellow-feeling is that of one body; when
any limb of it aches, the whole body aches,
because of sleeplessness and fever.” (Muslim)
Review orientation materials and take test to
become eligible for special PRIZE draw!
LIKE us at every opportunity possible
◦ Visit the ISNA Canada and ISNA Canada Convention FB
pages and spend some time promoting!
Bring your friends, family, neighbours and
everyone you know to prayer!
DUA’A for a successful Ramadan.