Hummingbird – it’s a new engine
4. So how do we interpret studies like
Does this mean rankings are all about getting
5. These are hints. Not ranking factors.
Read: Correlation does not equal causation
“Correlation does not imply causation”
Edward Tufte says this is
"Correlation is not
causation but it sure is a
6. Cyrus has a great ranking factors deck:
8. "I think backlinks still have many, many years left
in them," he said. "But inevitably what we're trying
to do is figure out how an expert user would say
this particular page matched their information
needs. And sometimes backlinks matter for that."
Links = very much alive.*
9. External Anchor Text
tougher to move,
but still hold up
10. Internal Anchor Text
11. Keyword strings in titles, METAs, etc.
12. Mark up ALL THE THINGS?
13. “Absolute Rankings”
“Rankings are part of my
reporting, but near the
“Rankings will be dead
within one year”
“I still report rankings,
but as a composite
metric. Not individual