• Toy-making is a craft that has been around
• While the toy-making process has become
more streamlined, there’s still an art to it
Plastic in Toys
• Plastic is the latest material to be included
• Plastic has been used in toys for several
• The toy-making process requires a plastic
injection molding company to manufacture
parts of the toys.
• Plastic is involved in the design,
manufacturing, and packaging of toys.
• More than 200 billion LEGO bricks have been
sold around the world.
• The process for creating LEGOs:
1. Plastic is sorted into columns by color and
2. It’s melted at a heat of 232 C.
3. Plastic injection molds are used to stamp out
millions of tiny little pieces.
4. The LEGOs are sent to the designers, who
come up with new combinations of pieces so
that the LEGOs can be sold in sets.
• The process for making a Barbie is simple, but can be
complicated by design decisions:
1. New designs are compiled by makeup artists and
hairstylists. One model is assembled by 15 different
designers. Once it’s complete, it is sent to the
manufacturer in China for duplication.
2. Facial molds are created with two parts: there is the inner
part, which needs to be sculpted precisely in the right
shape, and the outer part, which looks like a facial mask.
The body is also created in this way, but with less detail.
3. Once the doll has been molded, the face is painted and
the hair is sewn in. Then the body is assembled with the
head and clothes are placed on the body for the finishing
• There are actually two designs for these toys, as
they have to transform from one shape to another.
1. Designers design the Autobot form and the
2. The design moves to the CAD stage, using
computer engineering to create the actual toy
3. The design is then taken to the sculpting stage,
where the individual parts of each Transformer are
determined. A mold breakdown is created, showing
individual parts with their associated colors and
4. Each part is designed, molded and injected. Then
the Transformer is assembled and painted.
Making Your Own
• If you plan on making your own toys, you’ll
probably need to outsource to a plastic
injection molding company.
• Streamline Plastics is a company that can
help you with any project, no matter how
• Contact us for a quote or help with your
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.