ICTs for Learning
• Course Aims
• Coordinator’s Introduc5on
• My Expecta5ons
• Rules of Engagement
• Using Technology
• Digital Pedagogies
• Learning Management and
Dimensions of Learning (DoL)
• Mahara e.PorEolio
• Assessment * Flickr hIp://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/ramdiboy/4190799633/
• Design eﬀec5ve pedagogical strategies that engage and
• Proﬁle the learning needs of students through the use
of the relevant learning design ques5ons;
• Analyse the proﬁle of a learner cohort to select
pedagogical prac5ces and content knowledge to
enhance learning using a range of ICTs;
• Demonstrate eﬀec5ve and eﬃcient use of digital
pedagogies to enhance student learning;
• Develop, display, reﬁne and reﬂect upon skills
associated with the meaningful use of technology in
So What does that all mean?
• What was your experience of
• Do children behave and think the
same as when you went to school?
• Is behaviour a problem in schools?
• What impact does adverse
behaviour have on student
• Is behaviour management the only
• Do we need to be trapped in a
tradi5onal schooling paradigm? *
Boy of SamBok Chap, Andon Village, Phnom Penh
Ques5ons to answer ajer the audio track
•What is the Band?
•Moral for teachers?
This Course will show how to
engage the Stewies and
provide richer learning
1. You will engage early with the
Online Courseware (O Week!!).
2. You will abide by the Rules of
3. You will act ethically and
collegially. Flicker hIp://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/smannion/2948636307/sizes/s/
4. You accept the challenge to take
risks involved in learning new
Rules of Engagement
1. All ques5ons regarding the
Course are to be posted on
the discussion forums unless
it is a private, or conﬁden5al
2. Emails and phone calls that Flicker hIp://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/smannion/2948636307/sizes/s/
are not private or
conﬁden5al will not be
answered. Consulta5on hours
3. Why?? – fairness and 9‐00 AM to 1‐00PM
eﬃciency. * Mondays and Thursdays
1. Immediacy of learning.
2. Authen5c tasks bring
3. Used correctly it can engage
4. Can lead to more student‐
centred learning. *
1. What is a “Digital Pedagogy”?
2. Learning Engagement Theory.
a) Relate, Create, Donate.
3. Ac5ve Learning
a) Eﬀec5ve Learning and learning
b) Mazlow’s Hierarchy of Needs
(1970) Flickr: hIp://farm1.sta5c.ﬂickr.com/116/275748519_9ddea439c4_m.jpg
c) Mul5ple Intelligences (Gardner,
d) Emo5onal/Social Intelligence
4. Brief Overview of Learning Theory *
Learning Management and DoL
1. 8 Learning Management
2. Learning design vs curriculum
3. Focus is on pedagogy.
4. 5 Dimensions of Learning.
5. Emphasis on DoL 1 & 5.
6. Research‐proven pedagogical
1. Stores ﬁles (up to 100MB for
2. Builds your CV.
3. Updatable online professional
4. Unlimited number of Blogs.
5. Unlimited number of “Views”.
6. Belongs to you, not CQUni. hIp://cqu‐mahara.netspot.com.au/
7. Costs $5/year for each 100MB
9. Mahara Res School tutorials. *
Assessment Task 1—20%
1. 10 quizzes ‐‐ 10 ques5ons each.
2. 70% overall, pass mark required.
3. Closed ajer end of Week 6.
4. In the same Moodle week that
they are tes5ng.
5. Only 1 aIempt for each quiz.
6. Designed to test recall and hIp://www.insidesocal.com/ou5nhollywood/,,,,,
understanding of ﬁrst 6 weeks
Assessment Task 2—30%
1. Reﬂec5ve Synopsis and Blog.
2. Follow the learning ac5vi5es to
populate /journal your Blog.
3. Apply the conceptual
frameworks to each piece of
technology/pedagogy in the
learning ac5vi5es. hIp://amanda4of6.ﬁles.wordpress.com/2009/04
4. You are marked ONLY on your
reﬂec5ve synopsis and any Blog
pos5ngs you refer to in the
Assessment Task 3—50%
1. Constructed in Mahara.
2. Design and FULLY Develop a
substan5al learning experience
that includes extensive teacher
and student use of ICTs.
3. Ac5on plans submiIed prior to the
end of Week 7 will receive CC
4. Must use Learning Engagement
Theory as the design framework.
5. Report the design and
development in a Mahara View.
6. Document your professional
discourse throughout the course in hIp://www.istockphoto.com/ﬁle_thumbview_ap
the View. *
1. Have you got what it takes to break free
of your preconceived ideas about
2. Do you want a teaching career
characterised by learning and
engagement, or one dominated by Flickr
behaviour management? /ramdiboy/4190799633/
3. Can you overcome any technology fears
you may have?
4. Are you prepared to change children’s
lives and their des5ny?
5. How many “Stewies” will you engage in
your learning environment? * hIp://lincolnpalmer.smugmug.com/ph
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.