• Why not use Google?
– Free to anyone with computer
– No review standards with regard
– Information is not organized.
– Information is not stable;
locations and content
– It is hard to find all the
information you need to make
an accurate citation.
– Purchased by the library.
– Content is reviewed and
recommended by librarians.
– Information is organized.
– Information is stable.
– The information is usually
always cited for you.
How do I get to the databases?
• From the
• You will need
located in our
Each Database lends itself to a certain
subject (science, social studies, English)
• For this assignment we will focus on
LexisNexis (frequently used in college) and CQ
Lexis NexisSearch the News for Economics
Narrowed down to Newspapers
• This search gave us 992 results.
• The results are listed from Newest to
• Lexis gives us the option to narrow the
search down even more by many
categories on the left side
We narrowed the results to just
the United States and now only
have 302 results
Username and password required for
You can browse by subject or use the
advance search tool.
Don’t forget to Cite!
• You will need citations for your bibliography. Most of
the databases provide citations. Or you can use the
Purdue Owl for reference (Google it). We also have
MLA handbooks (old school).