COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team: Finance & StewardshipMembers Present: No meeting held in...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team - Buildings and GroundsAttendees – Alfred, David, Jon, Ch...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012                       behind Corlett Hall).                       If t...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012              the Education Building (as soon as possible) and one for ...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012              otherwise, let us know.  12. Thermostats.            Any ...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012   20. We have received a first draft of the report that was written as...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Communications Team Meeting –Team Members Present:Gail Christensen, Bec...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team Minutes - Adult Formation –Attendees: Nancy Terry, Carl T...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team –Children’s Formation – No minutes provided
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team: Youth EducationMembers Present:Jane WeinbergerAction Ite...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team - NewcomersMembers Present: Geyer Longenecker, Kari Marot...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team – Parish Life – There was no Parish Life Team meeting in ...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team - OutreachPresent: Jane Heyward, Harlan Hagge, Carl Sigel...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team: WorshipDate: 7/11/2012Members Present:Evelyn JudsonWalty...
COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team – Pastoral CareAttending: David Lynch, Annette Hughes, Ca...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

July ministry teams minutes

270 views

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
270
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

July ministry teams minutes

  1. 1. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team: Finance & StewardshipMembers Present: No meeting held in July
  2. 2. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team - Buildings and GroundsAttendees – Alfred, David, Jon, Chris, KenTeam members - Kenneth Special, Lori Special, Jon Showalter, Susie Holmes, Marc Marotta, JackSpence, Alfred Christensen, David Johnston, Chris Christiansen, Tom Phelps, Duff McAdamsAgenda Items – 1. Corlett Hall A/V equipment The Vestry at its June meeting requested that the B&G team solicits up to three quotes before making any decisions about purchasing A/V equipment for Corlett Hall. We have one quote from I2Install (Randy Richardson) already and meetings are scheduled with two other companies July 16 (Avcon) and July 19 (Imagenation Systems). Use of a suspended projector has been discussed. The ceiling height makes it difficult (expensive) to suspend a projector from the ceiling – the projector needs to be mounted on a sturdy suspension that doesn’t vibrate, which will be complex to install with the ceiling height we have. Use of a projector mounted on the opposite wall has also been discussed. The distance to the projector screen will require use of lenses to focus the image on the screen, and such lenses will add a considerable cost to the projector itself. So the choices are between a TV monitor on the wall and a projector on a cart that has to be rolled out into the room when in use. The use of a TV monitor will require nothing to be rolled out into the rooms and no loose wires on the floor. It seems there is general consensus that the use of a 70 inch monitor will meet the needs of the church. There is some concern that the displayable area may be a little small for people in the back of Corlett Hall to see, but most of the time presentations are made to smaller groups (40 to 50 people), and with recommendations to presenters about minimum font sizes to use, we believe the use of a monitor will be the best solution. Items to discuss at this meeting: If there are any concerns about the use of a TV monitor, we need those concerns identified as soon as possible. Size: it seems all on the B&G team as well as those presenters we have talked to agree that the 70 inch monitor is an adequate size for our purpose. If anyone else has other opinions, now is the time to speak up. Theft protection: consider a cabinet in which the monitor can be located maybe with folding doors (protection and hide). Alfred will look into the cost of such a cabinet. There has been a suggestion to move the monitor from where the current projector is located to below the diamond window in Corlett Hall. The purpose would be to reduce the impact of sun light coming in through the diamond window. Comments about this suggestion? The team prefers the existing location since it will be easier to install the components and the wires between them in such a way that the wires are hidden in the wall (easier access through the attic above the storage room
  3. 3. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012 behind Corlett Hall). If the monitor were to be installed under the diamond window, it wouldn’t be centered in the room since the diamond window is in the center of the original room from before the storage and class room behind Corlett Hall were created. The first quote we received suggested installation of two 6 inch speakers in Corlett Hall. Some concern has been voiced that these speakers are too small and that we may need four speakers instead of two. Comments about this concern? The team consensus is to pass this question on to the experts who know about today’s speaker technology. A question has already been emailed to the company that submitted the first quote. 2. A/V equipment in the Worship Building. Ken Tessier has managed to bring the equipment to work. With the help of Jason Pace, the sermon has been recorded the last two Sundays. The Communications Team will discuss how to establish a procedure for the weekly recording, editing, and posting to the Web. The Communications Team may in their future work revise the objectives of the A/V equipment in the Worship Building, which may require additional/upgraded A/V equipment. The Buildings and grounds team will wait for such requirements before taking any actions with respect to the A/V equipment in the Worship Building. 3. Education Building leak. Jon? It had rained significantly the day of the meeting (July 11). Jon went over to the Education Building and verified that no leaks were to be seen. 4. Sweet Gum tree removal. Was done June 14th. The chip was offloaded next to the entrance to the nature trail. In the future, we need to coordinate all activities that require use of the church facilities with Jennie (meetings with vendors, repair activities, etc.). When we had set up the appointment to have the trees removed June 14, we were not aware that Corlett Hall that full week had been rented to a class. There was some concern early that morning that the noise would disturb the class. Fortunately, everything went fine and the class had only minimal disruption. 5. Blinds. Blinds have been requested for four of the glass (emergency exit) doors in Corlett Hall (three towards the parking lot and one towards the front end of the Education Building). Blinds have also been requested for the two front class rooms in the Education building (two glass doors in one room and two windows in the other room). We have one quote for purchase and installation of blinds from Matthews Shade Company. Faux (Composite) wood blinds would cost $1225 installed. Similar blinds from Home Depot (all custom sizes, 2 inch slats, white faux wood) will cost around $570, but we will have to install them ourselves. What does the team recommend? Go with the cheaper solution. Consider splitting the activity into two phases: one for
  4. 4. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012 the Education Building (as soon as possible) and one for Corlett Hall. If we decide to use a TV monitor instead of a projector screen, we may not need blinds on the doors in Corlett Hall. Installing these will be made part of a future B&G work day. For the Education Building shades on the door in the right class room (as you enter the building) we may have to use two shades: one above the crash bar and one below the crash bar. The crash bar has to be visible and freely accessible. 6. Cleaning backup. Merry Maids stepped in for Dave early July. We have not yet evaluated the experience. Any progress in plans for offering this opportunity to the youth group? Any other dates (not known as of now). Left with Susie to come back when Dave plans his next vacation and then we will approach the youth group. 7. Bulletin Board in Education Building. Has been installed on the right wall in the corridor. 8. Parking lot lights. Have been upgraded by Progress Energy. Anyone had a chance to notice any improvements yet? 9. HVAC maintenance contracts. We now have three quotes for HVAC maintenance. All quotes include two service checkups/cleanings per year (one at the start of the heating season, and one at the start of the cooling season), plus change of 27 filters twice a year: Fowlers: $3603.00 per year. All American: $1650.00 per year. The first cleaning will be an additional $675.00 to bring the units up to a standard maintenance level. Service Experts: $2810.00 per year Susie has recommended use of All American for the HVAC maintenance work at Nativity. The team discussed and asked if it would be possible to get a list of activities each of the three vendors plans to perform at the two yearly visits. Service Experts provided a list of such activities, but the other two quotes were not detailed. It is somewhat difficult to compare quotes if we’ve only got the prices but no specific content. 10. Coolant pipe insulation We received one quote for having the coolant pipes re-insulated. The quote was from Fowlers and was $794.00. Top quality pipe insulation (with rubber backing) will cost us around $200 at Home Depot, but we will have to install it ourselves. What does the team recommend? The team recommends we do it ourselves. This activity is to be part of a future B&G workday. 11. Nursery and choir room temperature. An electric component had burned off in the HVAC unit that services that area of the Worship building. It has been repaired. Spot checks on the temperature in the Nursery during Sunday morning indicate the problem has been solved. If anyone hears
  5. 5. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012 otherwise, let us know. 12. Thermostats. Any news on coordination and checking of programming of all thermostats? Education Building thermostats are not programmable but can be adjusted (must be manually readjusted later). In the Sanctuary, one is programmable, the other not – should consider having both programmable. We will have to do some follow-up here to fully understand the thoughts behind having some of the programmable and others not. 13. Finish Nature Trail. No work has been done yet due to the heat. The team suggests we postpone any work in this area till September/October where the outdoor temperature hopefully is more acceptable. This will be party of a future B&G work day. 14. Memorial Garden Expansion area. This will be brought forward to the Vestry at the next Vestry meeting. 15. Door weather stripping. Hasn’t been done yet. This will be part of a future B&G work day. 16. Water in the Education Building. Jack Spence has noted that the water was brown one day he was in the building. At the latest check by Susie, no problem was seen. No one has seen any problems. Ask Dave Metzger to check it up. 17. Campus signs. Susie is working with Joel and Stephanie to define the locations and text on new campus signs. The signs will be designed by the company that has been working on redefining the Nativity Logo. When the new signs have been approved by the Communications team, ordered, and delivered, there may be an activity for the Buildings and Grounds team to have them physically installed. 18. Memorial Garden and area around it has both Poison Ivy and invasive Vinca. Does Buildings and Grounds take care of that (treating the areas), or is that a task for the Pastoral Care team. Ask the Pastoral Care team if they plan to address these issues. 19. There is a new suggestion to have the front door in Estill House painted red instead of the existing pink color. Any comments or concerns to such a change? The team has no problems with changing the color of the door. If it has to be done, we will make it part of our future B&G work day.
  6. 6. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012 20. We have received a first draft of the report that was written as the conclusion of an energy audit conducted May 29th this year. It is suggested that we postpone full evaluation of this report until we have the final version – hopefully we can discuss the report at our August meeting. We will rewrite the draft into an action list and then we’ll discuss the suggestions. Include those things we have already done.Action itemsAction Items Description Assignee Due DateCabinet for TV Look into the cost of having a 70 inch TV monitor installed in Alfred Aug 8monitor a cabinet with folding doors.HVAC Request a specific list of the activities each vendor plans to Alfred Julymaintenance do at the two yearly visits. 20Programmable Determine why some of the thermostats are programmable Jon Aug 8thermostats and others not. If all should be programmable, we need to come up with an estimate for replacing the non- programmable thermostats.Water in Ask Dave Metzger to verify if there is a problem with the Susie JulyEducation drinking water in the Education Building or not. 20BuildingMemorial Garden Ask the Pastoral Care team if they plan to address the issues Susie July with poison ivy and vinca in the Memorial Garden. 20Energy Audit Rewrite the minutes into an action and check list before the Alfred and Aug 8report next B&G meeting (August 8) Carl SiegelFuture B&G Work day activities 1. Hang blinds in Education Building and potentially also in Corlett Hall 2. Coolant pipe insulation 3. Finish Nature trail 4. Estill House door weather stripping 5. Paint the front door to Estill House
  7. 7. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Communications Team Meeting –Team Members Present:Gail Christensen, Becky Christian, Sarah Bernart, Ben Huckaby, Emilie Sigel, Karen Ridout, AilsaTessier, Jason PaceVestry Liaison:Joel KamyaAgenda/Items Discussed:Nativity Signage - Reviewing Proofs of 14 signs from Kreative Promotions that are to be installedthroughout Nativitys campusOpen Action Items:Scheduled an additional meeting to discuss the redesign of our web site (Everyone, July 18th, 7pm -8:30pm)
  8. 8. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team Minutes - Adult Formation –Attendees: Nancy Terry, Carl Terry, Ken Tessier, Jesse LoweAgenda items discussed: EFM - What is the status? Summer Bible Study and Classes July 15 –Jane Vella July 22 – Carl and Nancy Terry July 29 – George Clifford – General Convention Report August 5 – George Douglas August 12 – August 19 – Jesse Lowe August 26 – September 2 Fall Program September 9 - Kickoff with preview of subjects to be covered (similar to last year) September 16 - Special outreach committee program (content TBD) September 23 - Five Languages of Love with Nancy and Carl Terry September 30 - Week two of the above October 7 - Church picnic October 14 - Visit by Bishop Curry October 21 - Stewardship program October 28 - Vestry discussion November 4 - George Clifford - religion and politics November 11 - Interfaith guest series November 18 - Interfaith guest series November 25 - Interfaith guest series December 2 - Annual meeting December 9 - Advent program (TBD) December 16 - Advent program Interfaith Guest Series Hindu Greek Othodox Mid- Life study – Sign up for class - Septeber 18 to November 6 Love Languages – Open to everyone, not just couples Pesentation on Campus Ministry – Suggested by Stephanie to Carl to get parish familiar with what is happening Sunday Evening Program going well. Small group of 10-15, intergenerational, good discussion Jesse working with Spirituality and the Arts to do program in 2013 on Shakespeare and Spirituality Discussion of Spring offerings - Thinking of it as a journey or pilgrimage to Lent Book Study – Nancy suggested book from speaker at Kanuage – Scott Bader-Saye, Professor at Episcopal Seminary in Austin. “Following Jesus in a Culture of Fear” Has discussion questions in the back
  9. 9. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team –Children’s Formation – No minutes provided
  10. 10. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team: Youth EducationMembers Present:Jane WeinbergerAction Items – 1. Start to recruit Sunday School teachers for next session, Jane – next meeting 2. Get calendar from Stephanie and Jennie for next year’s activities, Jane – next meeting
  11. 11. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team - NewcomersMembers Present: Geyer Longenecker, Kari Marotta, Babs Freeman (vestry rep)Agenda Items Discussed: Reviewed minutes from previous meeting How and when to follow-up with visitors Geyer has resigned as team leader and from group Greeters dinner to discuss policies in September, ushers invited as well Discuss with Stephanie the concept of church membership and the role of the newcomer committee in itAction Items: Confirm date with Jennie for dinner – Kari, 8/8/12 Discuss with Jennie development of weekly newcomer report so we can follow up Review Narthex layout and devise reorganization plan Set meeting with Stephanie regarding church membership
  12. 12. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team – Parish Life – There was no Parish Life Team meeting in July
  13. 13. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team - OutreachPresent: Jane Heyward, Harlan Hagge, Carl Sigel, Pete CrowDiscussion:BUDGET Add something for Haiti through CODEP (Haiti Fund) or ERD or Convoy of Hope; need more information In future look to what local needs Nativity might fill—start by talking w Catholic Charities Support pursuing idea of relationship w Siquirres: Carl suggests MON would be a good group to target for funding and participationACTION Harlan will look into Haiti options; by next meeting Add ERD, Uganda, Haiti, (future) Costa Rica Proj,to budget proposal Jane will communicate the budget to Charles, Joel, vestry; then Jane will take care of check processing Pete will communicate to Stephanie interest in Siquirres link; within a week Pete get Honduras activity dates to Jane Sept. 16, Carl will contact Jill about this; within a week Pete: check w Pilgrim and Urban Adventure people about presentations; Jane will find dates
  14. 14. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team: WorshipDate: 7/11/2012Members Present:Evelyn JudsonWaltye RasulalaAgenda Items Discussed: ◦ Discussion re: responsibilities of the worship team: ◦ The team is responsible for the planning of 1. Regular services, and 2. Special services ◦ Evening prayer after the Pop Theology Sessions seems to be working. It is a workable short service. The majority of people are remaining for this service. This is one possibility for a special service. ◦ Question: are there any changes that need to be done to the church picnic service? The format we did last year worked very well, so there are no changes recommend . ◦ Evelyn Judson will work with the band for this service. ◦ Suggestions for Children s Service: it would be nice to hear a homily from one of the Graduating Sr.s. ▪ ActionItemAssigned To. DueWork on Evening Service. Evelyn Judson. Fall
  15. 15. COTN Ministry Teams Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2012Ministry Team – Pastoral CareAttending: David Lynch, Annette Hughes, Carolyn Kerr, Charly Kerr, Randy Smith, Chuck TillDiscussed:1. Transportation ministry underway.2. No progress on contact ministry; need to speak with Jane Weyland.3. Parish survey to be refined per Vestry feedback and then send out in August, with a parish-widefeedback session sometime after Labor Day.Actions: 1. Chuck to publish new version of survey for team comment prior to end of July.

×