COMPLICATION OF PROSTATE
• Prostate enlargement
• Inflammation of the prostate gland (Prostatitis)
• Prostate cancer
• Prostate enlargement, also known as benign prostatic
hyperplasia, is a common condition that affects older men.
• It is usually not a serious threat to health.
• Changes in hormone levels in a man’s body due to ageing
Difficult for you to start urination
Weaken the flow of urine
Strain to pass urine
Frequently need to urinate
Wake up frequently during the night to
• Sudden urge to urinate
• Blood in the urine (haematuria)
• International Prostate Symptoms Score (IPSS)
• Urine tests
• Rectal examination
• Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test
• Finasteride or dutasteride
• Alpha blockers
Prostatitis is a general term that refers to inflammation
(swelling) of the prostate gland, which is caused by an
• A bacterial infection is only sometimes responsible.
• In many cases of chronic (long-term) prostatitis, doctors
can't find any infection in the prostate gland, In these
cases, the cause is poorly understood.
• Chronic prostatitis is thought to be caused by a number of
suggested factors, including partial blockage of the flow
of urine and underlying problems with the immune
system, pelvic floor or nervous system.
Pain in the pelvis, genitals, lower back and buttocks
Pain when urinating
Frequent need to urinate
Difficulty urinating, such as problems starting or 'stopstart' urination
• Pain when ejaculating, which may contribute to erectile
• Discomfort in the perineal area (the area between the
scrotum and the anus)
• Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the
UK, with over 40,000 new cases diagnosed every year.
• Prostate cancer usually develops slowly, so there may be
no signs you have it for many years.
• Urinate more frequently, often during the
• Needing to rush to the toilet
• Difficulty in starting to urinate
• Straining long time while urinating
• Feeling that your bladder has not emptied
• Ask for a urine sample to check for infection
• Take a blood sample to test your level of prostate-specific
• Examine your prostate (digital rectal examination)
• Gleason score