Symantec Antivirus Installation
Microsoft Windows XP
Before installing Symantec Antivirus you need to uninstall any existing
antivirus software, including earlier versions of Symantec Antivirus.
Please refer to the tip sheet Symantec Anti-Virus – Uninstalling for detailed
instructions on how to uninstall this product.
It is recommended that the instructions are read and understood before attempting to
download and install the application.
The steps provided in this tip sheet detail the procedures to be followed to install the
Off Campus edition of the Symantec Antivirus program.
1. Download the program for Off campus students
2. Click Save button and save to your desktop. When download is complete
double click the application to start installing.
13 December 2007
3. By default the C:Program FilesSymantec Antivirus Corporate Edition folder
If you require a different folder to be used click on the Change… button and
navigate to the required folder. Select Next >. The software installs.
13 December 2007 2
4. When the installation is complete the following InstallShield Wizard
Completed screen briefly appears.
5. Symantec displays the message that the definitions are out of date. Click the
13 December 2007 3
6. Next LiveUpdate starts. Connect to the internet if you are not already, then
click NEXT >.
13 December 2007 4
7. LiveUpdate downloads the latest patches and installs them onto your
computer. THIS MAY TAKE SOME TIME.
8. When completed click the Finish button.
9. Double click the shield in the system tray. When Symantec opens check the
virus definitions file date is correct and that the LiveUpdate button is active
and not greyed out.
13 December 2007 5
10. To complete the full installation two update patches must be applied. The
patches and install instructions are located within the student software option
choice available beneath the Symantec Anti-Virus Software header at:
13 December 2007 6