Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Minutes of Meeting Number 53: 30th Oct 2009
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×

Introducing the official SlideShare app

Stunning, full-screen experience for iPhone and Android

Text the download link to your phone

Standard text messaging rates apply

Minutes of Meeting Number 53: 30th Oct 2009

515
views

Published on


0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
515
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. H.E.W.I.T Minutes of Meeting Number 53 30th Oct 2009 – at Aberystwyth Present Alan Davies (University of Glamorgan) – Chair David Morgan (University of Glamorgan) – Secretary & Minutes Clerk Sean Cullinan (University of Wales Institute, Cardiff) Tony Ollier (Swansea University) – Deputy Chair Lyndon Shirley (Swansea Metropolitan University) Roger Matthews (Aberystwyth University) Julie Snelson (Bangor University) Robert Stockton (Glyndwr University) Chris Price (Swansea University & WNL) 1. Apologies Owen Parry (University of Wales, Federal Body) Gina Woodward (Cardiff University) Michael Webb (University of Wales, Newport) Karl Williams (Trinity University College Carmarthen) Steve Gibbs (University of Wales, Lampeter) Chairs Items The Chair welcomed Chris Price to the meeting, as JANET/PSBA representative. As agreed previously, Chris would become a member of the HEWIT Group. The Group expressed their thanks and best wishes to Jeremy Perkins, who was retiring from Aberystwyth later in the day. The Group expressed best wishes to David Harrison for a fast recovery following a recent heart operation. Minutes of Last Meeting The minutes of the last meeting (June 2009) were agreed as an accurate record. Matters Arising not covered by the agenda None Site Reports Site reports had been submitted to the Mailing List prior to the meeting. Highlights and discussions from individual site reports arising at the meeting included: 1.1 Aberystwyth a) Difficulties were being experienced in establishing a private network link to IBER. b) The Citrix service was to be decommissioned. c) The VoIP service rollout continues. d) Unified Messaging using Exchange 2007 with OCS (Office Communications Services) is being trialled within Information Services prior to a campus rollout. DJM/HEWIT/HEWIT53 Minutes.doc
  • 2. 1.2 Bangor a) Direct Attached Filestores were being migrated to 2 resilient NAS systems. b) A few issues had been experienced with the storing and performance of roaming profiles c) The introduction of VMWare is underway. d) Agresso HR and Payroll are in service. More funding had been secured to enable the introduction of the Agresso Finance system prior to decommissioning the old finance system in the Spring. Users’ experience of HR and Payroll has been good, Finance less so. e) Oracle Business Intelligence has been procured to facilitate the integration of Management Information Systems. f) Investigating 802.1x for deployment to their Halls of Residence. TO suggested that Jez Palmer at Swansea would be a helpful technical specialist. g) Experience of VoIP (Mitel) had been good, with over 3,000 extensions now in service h) Alteris is being used for Desktop Management, and further streamlining of support activities is planned. i) There was some concern over Blackboard Version 9 performance under load. j) An announcement by Blackboard of a Welsh Language Pack is anticipated on 11 November. 1.3 Cardiff a) As per submitted report. 1.4 Glamorgan a) On-line enrolment has been successfully deployed, and includes fees payment. b) An Integrated Service Desk handling IT, Media and Library enquiries has been established at 3 sites. c) The additional purchase cost of RM EcoQuiet PCs is expected to be recovered in the first year of use. d) An IS Developments Showcase event was held on 28 October and proved very successful in publicising the achievements and future plans of the department. 1.5 Glyndwr a) An attendance recording system has been deployed. Uses include identifying non-engagement of students, identifying errors in SITS data, and actual room occupancy figures. b) Problems had been experienced with the stability of the GTA NAT Firewall appliance deployed as a High Availability failover pair. c) Student email had now moved to Outlook 2010 from Live@EDU. d) The migration from Blackboard to Moodle would be assisted by the addition of a full-time technical post and half-time academic post. The project would include the rationalisation of house-style and integration with SITS. e) Consideration was being given to the Moodle service being hosted externally. 1.6 Lampeter a) No report submitted. 1.7 Newport a) As per submitted report. 1.8 Swansea a) LIS and the Administrative Computing Unit are working together to migrate to a unified Microsoft Domain and desktop infrastructure. The new standard desktop will be Windows 7. b) Wireless networking was now viewed as more important than Open Access PC Labs. DJM/HEWIT/HEWIT53 Minutes.doc
  • 3. c) Some issues were still being experienced with Cisco Access Points locking-up. d) A contract had been secured from JANET(UK), in partnership with Loughborough University, to develop a system to automatically configure Wireless laptops with network access. e) IPTV is being used over WiFi, with caching necessary to deliver acceptable performance. f) Reciprocal off-site backup is planned between SU and SMU. g) The Blackboard Community System is being used as the Student Portal, and has been favourably received by staff. h) DEGW (www.degw.com) are being used for Learning Space Design. i) Will be hosting an ITIL V3 course next March. 1.9 Swansea Metropolitan a) Much time and effort is being expended on the SWWHEP projects with Swansea and Trinity. b) Agresso is to be used for the student portal. c) Have refurbished and reconfigured main machine room to assist with SWWHEP DR project. 1.10 TUCC a) No report submitted. 1.11 UWIC a) Experiencing a mid-year budget cut. b) ICT Strategy has been approved, with a main theme of “Computing Anywhere”. c) Concluded procurement of a new Student Records Systems, with supplier designate being Agresso with their Distinction solution. d) Evaluating IPT vendor solutions from Cisco, Mitel and Shoretel. Initially to be deployed in ISD, then the new School of Management building. e) Live@Edu is in service for student email. Old mail accounts to be closed down at Xmas. f) There is a steady growth of Apple Macintoshes. 1.12 University of Wales a) No report submitted. Other Reports 1.13 PSBA Chris Price provided a detailed update on PSBA. Highlights and discussions resulting from the update included: a) The core network has now been in place for over a year, and has 12 core PoP sites, 29 NAPs and 110 Local NAPs (unbundled exchanges). b) Over 1300 sites are now connected, with 1000+ in the Health sector including 750 GP surgeries connected at 2Mbps. c) The HE/FE sector has 53 sites connected. d) Gateways are in place to JANET @ 2 x 10Gbps, GCSx @ 100Mbps and 10Mbps, Health @ 2 x 100Mbps. e) QoS (Quality of Service) is deployed. f) MPLS (Multi-Protocol Label Switching) is in place for Health and the UA sectors, and is now being considered for the HE/FE Sector. g) PSBA and Logicalis will soon be undertaking a capacity planning exercise, with all connected institutions being invited to identify any plans that may increase PSBA utilisation. h) Sector Engagement Managers are in post for Health ( ) and Local Government (Andy Smith) DJM/HEWIT/HEWIT53 Minutes.doc
  • 4. i) [Post-meeting note – Chris Price took up the position of HE/FE Sector Engagement Manager within the PSBA team on Monday 9 November, with JANET(UK) bearing the cost of Chris’ time. Chris will continue to carry out his existing JANET role in Wales) j) Dyfed Powys Police has become a user of PSBA. Mike Stephens of DPP has joined the PSBA Management Board. k) Rob Hall has left Logicalis and Sean Hart, Head of Sales (Wales), is the new account manager for our sector. l) The PSBA project is now entering a Benefits realisation phase, to include the introduction of PSBA services such as Voice services, Video services and Data Centre services. A “call for support” for the Voice services initiative had recently been sent out by Guy Middleton, PSBA Project & Service Manager. DM would forward to HEWIT. ACTION: DM m) To ensure adequate communications and consultation with the Sector it is proposed to establish WRENA (Wales Research and Education Network Association). Chris Price to circulate the draft WRENA Memorandum of Association for information. ACTION: CAP n) Whilst the concept of WRENA was supported by the meeting as a good vehicle for operational aspects of sector engagement with a particular focus on information sharing, the group recommended that a smaller focus group should be established to liaise with PSBA and JANET on more strategic matters. This latter group, similar to the JANET/PSBA liaison group that was established during the procurement and initial rollout phases of PSBA, to have a few representatives from HE, FE, Research and other key stakeholders from the sector. 1.14 WVN a) The WVN contract expires in March 2010. b) HEFCW and DCELLS have confirmed continued future funding c) Discussions are continuing in relation to establishing a unified Video Network Support Service under the umbrella of a PSBA service, building upon the existing WVN and HSW (Health Solutions Wales) services. 1.15 RSC a) The Wales RSC is expected to proceed with Round 4 covering the period 2010-2013. Items for Note/Discussion a) CAP advised that JANET(UK) will soon be updating their contacts database. b) TO advised that the Blackboard Northern European Teaching and Learning Conference would be held at Swansea on 12-14 April 2010. Gregynog Colloquium Confirmed that UWIC and Cardiff University are the organisers of Gregynog 2010 and that planning would commence soon. At the last HEWIT meeting Paul Wood (Bangor) offered a conference call with the organising committee at the appropriate time to discuss sponsorship opportunities and experience. The offer still stands. AOB a) None. Date of next meetings a) Wednesday 24 February 2010 via Video-Conference b) Thursday June 2010, @ the Gregynog Colloquium DJM/HEWIT/HEWIT53 Minutes.doc