Expertise Scott Brown
1772 Forrest Ave.
Memphis, TN 38112
• Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Objective-C/iPhone SDK, (901) 734-3597
• MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL
• TextMate, AutoTest, Subversion, Git
MS Computer Science, University of Memphis
BS Computer Science, University of Memphis
Independent Software Consultant
2009 - present
• I help clients convert web based technology ideas into commercial production reality.
• I designed, implemented and released Tic-Tac-No!, a family friendly puzzle game, for Apple’s
iPhone app store, which has received over 3,500 downloads to date.
• I conceived of, implemented and launched MarksMenus.com, a Rails-based web application for
categorizing and managing restaurant menus online.
• Technologies Used: Ruby on Rails (with a focus on test-driven development), Objective-C/iPhone
SDK, MySQL, Linux, Mac OS X, Git, Subversion
Head of Technology
MicroPlace, Inc. (an eBay company)
2006 – 2009
• Led all aspects of development, QA, process, strategy and budget for the technology division an
internal eBay startup.
• Acted in hands-on role as chief architect and agile coach for a team of developers and consultants
implementing a complex, novel set of e-commerce web applications using the Ruby on Rails
• Successfully applied agile development processes resulting in five separate web applications going
from concept to commercial deployment in six months.
• Technologies Used: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Linux, Mac OS X, Subversion
Manager, Marketplaces Systems Engineering
PayPal (an eBay company)
• Led a diverse team of software engineers responsible for both production support and
infrastructure improvements for all eBay-related features across the PayPal system.
• Drove cross-functional initiatives with team leaders in other areas of the company.
• Acted as liaison with upper management for establishing and communicating long-term goals to
the systems team.
• Technologies Used: C++, Oracle, Linux
Software Development Director
Electracash, Inc. (http://www.electracash.com)
2003 – 2005
• Led a team in the design and development of all software systems for a multi-million dollar
financial services firm. Electracash processes high-volume electronic financial transactions via
the Automated Clearing House (ACH) banking system.
• Technologies Used: .NET (C#, ASP.NET, VB.NET, distributed, client-server, multi-threaded,
web-based, GUI), SQL Server 2000 (schema design, T/SQL, stored procedure development), Web
Services (.NET, SOAP), XML/XSD (including object data binding), Visual Studio .NET, NAnt,
NUnit, Subversion, CVS
Senior Software Engineer
Metatomix, Inc. (http://www.metatomix.com)
2000 – 2003
• Participated in core development of a distributed, fault tolerant, multi-threaded, 100% Java
software platform targeting the Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) market for a privately
held multi-million dollar software firm.
• Technologies Used: Java (multi-platform, distributed, client-server, multi-threaded, GUI), Linux,
MySQL, SQL Server 2000, Oracle, Web Services (Axis, SOAP), XML/XSLT/XSD (including
object data binding), JBuilder, Eclipse, Ant, JUnit, CVS
Entertek Online, Inc.
1998 – 2000
• Led design and development for an E-Commerce development consulting firm specializing in
web-based process management.
• Technologies Used: C/C++, Perl, Python, Java (J2EE, JSP), Linux, Windows, MySQL, SQL
Server 2000, Oracle, XML, Visual Studio, VisualAge for Java, JUnit, MS Visual SourceSafe