T U T O R I A L
Overview Tutorial Tips
This Basic Concepts tutorial introduces you to Keyboard icons specify values that you enter
EnterpriseTenFold SOA. We recommend that you to complete a step.
complete Basic Concepts before other tutorials.
Information icons highlight additional
Each tutorial contains focused, brief lessons to instructions and concepts related to a step.
explain an important TenFold technology concept. Question icons help you make informed
During this tutorial you: decisions and understand what is happening.
1. Install SuperCRM, an already-built Warning icons address potential issues you
TenFold-powered application might experience while completing a step.
One way to install an application is to
import a .10F file. In later tutorials, you see
how easy it is to create a .10F file by This tutorial is for anyone interested in learning
exporting your applications description. about EnterpriseTenFold SOA and the TenFold
paradigm for building and running applications.
2. Experience TenFold power
Run a TenFold-powered application using a
browser AND Windows interface. • An installed copy of EnterpriseTenFold SOA
such as EnterpriseTenFold SOA Personal
TenFold-powered means enterprise-class Edition
software. This lesson shows some unique
• A SuperCRM.10F file. Personal Edition
capabilities and power that TenFold
includes this file in the export folder; or you
provides in every application.
can download a SuperCRM.10F file here.
• A ready-to-use PC that meets these system
3. Experience extremely rapid applications
TenFold customers love speed to develop a Help
new application, but are more thrilled with
We offer many different types of support and help
the business agility from the speed with
to make your initial TenFold experience positive and
which you can change an existing
powerful. Click here for a complete list.
In this tutorial, we show you how to:
While you are doing any tutorial, press <F1>, right-
click any field, button, or tab; or use the Help menu
• Create a new web page
for on-line help.
• Connect to Google Maps
• Change a SuperCRM menu
• Add a new database column to your
physical database, add new fields based
on that column
• Update every applications component
that your database change requires
Basic Concepts Page 1/18
Lesson 1 – Install a TenFold-powered application (SuperCRM)
EnterpriseTenFold SOA uses a model-driven approach to render (run) your application
by reading its description from a TenFold Dictionary database.
In other tutorials, you learn to build a complete TenFold-powered application. When
you build an application, you use TenFoldTools to describe your application including
its database design, user interface, business logic, reports, connections to other
databases, applications, and services, and more.
Before you build an application, we want you to experience an application that we built,
called SuperCRM, to see just some of the features of every TenFold-powered
application. Therefore, Lesson 1 imports a SuperCRM description into the TenFold
Dictionary so that, in Lesson 2, you can run and experience SuperCRM.
Step 1 – Sign on to EnterpriseTenFold SOA
Double click the EnterpriseTenFold SOA icon (if you are using Personal Edition your icon
reads Personal Edition).
With Personal Edition, your desktop computer is acting as your client computer, your applications server,
your database server, and your web server. (In a more typical enterprise installation, these would all be
separate computers.) Therefore, clicking the desktop icon starts these programs:
• TenFoldClient (tfcli), TenFold MessageServer, TenFold ServerManager (tfsrvmgr and tftskmst)
• EnterpriseDB RDBMS (edb-postmaster and edb-postgres)
If you have Windows Firewall enabled, unblock these programs when the option to unblock appears.
Clicking the icon starts the TenFold applications building tool set called TenFoldTools. You use
TenFoldTools to create, import, or export an application.
If you are missing an EnterpriseTenFold or Personal Edition icon, you might be running an older version of
EnterpriseTenFold or might not have EnterpriseTenFold installed. You can download Personal Edition here
1. User name = Business
2. Password = Business
Passwords are case-sensitive.
Basic Concepts Page 2/18
TenFoldTools comes with sample user names for building and maintaining your application:
• Business (password = Business) – Create and build your application
• IT (password = IT) – Create and maintain your database design
• Admin (password = Admin) – Administer TenFoldTools end-users and features
(in a team development environment, you would provide each applications developer a user name, such as
3. Click [Import] to open the Import screen.
Throughout this tutorial we use  brackets to describe buttons. If the [Import] button is gray, there are
several potential reasons. Right click on [Import] and choose help to see how to enable [Import].
4. Click the folder symbol to the right of the Import file field.
5. Choose Insert (Use Insert to pick a file instead of typing its name.)
6. Pick the SuperCRM+2007v3.10F file.
7. Click [Open]
If you are using Personal Edition installed in suggested directories,
SuperCRM+2007.10F is in C:Program filesTenFoldTenFoldPEExport
8. Click [Import application].
Note the progress bar at the
bottom of the screen. Import takes
between 10 and 25 minutes.
9. From the Options menu, choose Quit to close TenFoldTools.
You should have these two icons on your desktop. If you are missing the
BrowserClient icon, check that you have IIS installed. If you need to install
IIS, do so now, and then click [Register] to create the BrowserClient icon.
IIS is a Microsoft Web Server, see System Requirements link at the top of the
tutorial for more details.
Lesson 2 – Run a TenFold-powered application (SuperCRM)
EnterpriseTenFold SOA uses a model-driven approach to render (run) your application
by reading its description from the TenFold Dictionary. The graphic illustrates the
process of describing an application, saving its description in the TenFold Dictionary,
rendering the application from its description, and publishing (presenting) the
application for you to interact with it. In Lesson 1, by installing the SuperCRM .10F file,
you put the complete SuperCRM applications description in the TenFold Dictionary
and are ready to render and publish it – in other words, ready to run SuperCRM.
Basic Concepts Page 3/18
SuperCRM is a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) application.
SalesForce.com® is a typical CRM application that many small companies use to enter
contacts, manage sales efforts, and create a database of company-specific information
about customers and prospects.
EnterpriseTenFold SOA works with popular RDMSs like Oracle, DB2, SQL Server,
Sybase, EnterpriseDB, and MySQL. EnterpriseTenFold SOA Personal Edition includes a
fully configured EnterpriseDB installation to make your Personal Edition experience
easy and not require that you install an RDBMS. Read more about EnterpriseDB here.
EnterpriseTenFold SOA coupled with your RDBMS provides you an architecture with
which you can create new applications and transform your legacy applications into
SOA compliant applications . As you use SuperCRM, realize that it uses the identical
EnterpriseTenFold SOA that TenFold customers use to trade billions of dollars in
equities, manage hospitals, and rate insurance policies, with thousands of simultaneous
end-users daily. TenFold customers like these use high-volume, scalable, production
TenFold-powered applications today:
SuperCRM represents any TenFold-powered application. With EnterpriseTenFold SOA,
you can build any application quickly with the the power features that you see in
SuperCRM (and more). SuperCRM, like any TenFold-powered application, scales
automatically to a multi-user or high-volume environment.
During Lesson 2 you:
• Sign on to SuperCRM via a browser
• Explore powerful applications features like AJAX and TimeRelation
Basic Concepts Page 4/18
• Sign on to SuperCRM as its administrator, create a new end-user, and turn on
automatic response-time measurements
• Sign on as your new end-user via Windows
• Review your sign-on history and application-response times
Let’s get started!
Step 1 – Start SuperCRM and Sign on
1. Double-click the SuperCRM browser icon (it looks like this, if Internet
Explorer is your web browser)
EnterpriseTenFold SOA includes a robust application server (TenFold ServerManager) that manages end-
user sessions, server clustering, authentication, and more. You can learn how to configure TenFold
ServerManager by reading Administering TenFold ServerManager.
Personal edition includes EnterpriseDB, a powerful relational database. Read more about EnterpriseDB
Personal Edition Windows and BrowserClient icons start and stop the database and application servers.
2. User name = Sales
3. Password = Sales
SuperCRM passwords are case-sensitive. SuperCRM comes with sample user names (if you were using
SuperCRM in production, you would provide each employee an individual user name such as jsmith):
• Marketing (password = Marketing)
• Sales (password = Sales)
• Admin (password = Admin)
• Support (password = Support)
• SalesMgr (password = Manager)
The first time you sign on to an application in a brand new environment, EnterpriseTenFold preprocesses
your applications definition and stores it in a shared-persistent cache so that the next time you run the
application it is much faster. Look for this automatic performance improvement as you explore the
Step 2 – Experience built-in power
Similar to many web-powered applications, SuperCRM displays available
data as tabs at the top of your page. (EnterpriseTenFold SOA supports many
ways to build and design applications…this is one way.)
When you imported the SuperCRM .10F file in Lesson 1, the import automatically created an EnterpriseDB
applications database for SuperCRM including sample data to make our tutorial use real, database data.
1. Choose the Accounts tab.
2. Hover your mouse over Recent items to see more detail. Notice the
HoverFrame is a feature for any web page. HoverFrames can retrieve data without refreshing a page.
Changing a page without refreshing it is a powerful feature that the IT community calls AJAX. Without
EnterpriseTenFold SOA it takes a team of seasoned developers to program AJAX behavior into each web
page. In EnterpriseTenFold SOA, a checkbox enables HoverFrame AJAX.
Basic Concepts Page 5/18
3. Click Arratria Corporation in the Accounts list to view the account details.
4. Click Map next to the first account address.
5. Click [Close] on the map.
6. Click [Close] for the account.
SuperCRM uses the Microsoft MapPoint web service. We display MapPoint in a WebField. You can use a
WebField to embed any web page (in fact, any URL) in your application. These are examples of powerful,
unique, EnterpriseTenFold SOA, applications-building features.
7. Click on any company to view Company Details.
8. Click [Query], then click [Run Query] to read the SuperCRM
applications database for your accounts.
TenFold refers to your application web pages and Windows screens as transactions. TenFold-powered
transactions come standard with SmartNavigation features. SmartNavigation provides navigation features
that your end-users need – without programming or any development work.
9. Click [Next] and [Prior] to move through accounts.
10. Click [Multiple] to see accounts in a grid-style list.
11. Click an account in the grid and click [Single] to view it only.
12. Click [Multiple] and let's explore some ways to query your data
13. Click [Query],type c* in Account Name
14. Click [Run Query]. You see only accounts that start with C (or c, as
querying is case insensitive.)
We call our query metaphor with wild-cards QueryByExample. Without programming or development
work, QueryByExample makes each transaction a powerful, standardized query engine. End-users become
QueryByExample experts because it always lets them find the data they need in a few keystrokes.
15. Click [Query] and type *In* in Account Name. Click [Run Query].
16. Click [Single] and [Query].
17. Do a query entering >200000000 in the Annual revenue field to see
companies with annual review greater than $200,000,000.
18. Do a query entering <100 in the Number of employees field.
19. Experiment with your own queries. You can query using any field.
20. Click [Close] to close the Account detail screen.
Using EnterpriseTenFold SOA, you can build a thousand-user, policy-management, web-enabled
application without writing a single line of SQL. We call TenFold’s powerful SQL-generation capability
SmartSQL. Many applications-performance problems result from inefficient database operations. While
writing some SQL is easy, writing efficient and complex SQL is difficult. Some SQL is so complex that few
programmers can correctly write it. SmartSQL generates different SQL for each version of each vendor
RDBMS. EnterpriseTenFold SOA consistently generates optimal SQL for your application.
Basic Concepts Page 6/18
21. Click [Edit queries] (at the bottom of the screen).
22. Scroll through pre-defined queries. Notice that you can create powerful
queries to return subsets of your data.
23. Define a new query by clicking [New].
24. Name = LargeCaliforniaAccounts
25. Transaction = SCRMAccounts.
26. Sharing Editable = <checked>
27. Field prompt = State
28. Operator = =
29. Value = California
30. Click [Add] (the Add graphic on the Query criteria bar (described
References to click [Add] in BrowserClient throughout this tutorial also mean clicking the Add
graphic found in the top of the region or tab.
31. Relation = And
32. Field prompt = Annual revenue
33. Operator = >=
34. Value = 200000000.
35. Click [Save].
36. Click [Run].
We call these saved queries PowerQueries. PowerQueries are like live reports; use PowerQuery to store
your most frequent queries and run them any time you choose. End-users can create as many
PowerQueries as they need, share them with others, or keep them private. In our example, you can run
your new PowerQuery to find all large accounts in California in real time.
37. Click [Close].
38. Click Arratria Corporation to view the Account details screen.
39. Click the drop-down arrow for Industry and notice the size of the list.
40. Type N in the Industry field (replacing the value already there) and click
the drop-down arrow. Note only Industries starting with N appear.
41. Type G in Industry and tab out of the field. Since G is unique, it auto-
filled the proper value. (QueryByExample works for drop-down
SmartPick fields to limit values in a pick list)
42. Enter a non-number value (like XXX) in the Number of employees
records field and click [Save].
43. Notice the returned messages
44. Enter a valid value, tab out, and click [Save].
45. Click the Incomplete activities tab and click [Add]
46. In the new row, Click the calendar icon for Due date. Using the
CalendarControl, pick a date.
47. Click the note pad icon for Activity and enter data in the Pop-up edit
48. Click on the drop down SmartPick for Status, and select Planned.
49. Click on the First name in the drop down SmartPick.
50. Try to edit the first record. Notice that SuperCRM protects the fields
from your edits.
SuperCRM protects fields from your edits because of a simple business rule: you cannot edit an incomplete
activity that does not belong to you, or unless you are an administrator. We call this data-protection feature
SecurityByValue, which means data values can drive your data security.
Rule-driven security to decide who can see what data and who can change it – without any applications
Basic Concepts Page 7/18
Notice in your SmartPick you see additional information to help you pick a value. The SmartPick
automatically copies Last name for you. You define this additional information when you create your
application. The features you are using are codeless features of EntepriseTenFold SOA.
SuperCRM has many responsibilities (which represent different roles that end-users have when using the
application). We are going to switch responsibilities to experience different capabilities of this application.
To switch responsibilities, we need to log out of SuperCRM as the Sales person.
51. Click [Save].
52. Click [Close] to close the Account detail screen
53. In the top left corner, click [Logout].
54. Sign on as Support, with password = Support (don’t forget that
passwords are case-sensitive).
55. Choose the Cases tab.
56. In the Cases section click [Create new case].
57. Summary = 800 number is not forwarding to voicemail
58. Priority = Medium
59. Origin = E-mail
60. Reason = Failure/crash
61. Status = Open
62. Type = Defect
63. Account = Arratria Corporation
64. Click the Attachment file-cabinet icon and choose [Insert].
65. Click [Browse] and choose any file from your computer.
You have just used an AnyFile field when you entered an Attachment. AnyFile fields provide easy access
to files (such as images, text documents, web pages, et cetera) that you store on a local disk or network. You
uploaded the file from the local client to the application server and stored in the applications database. In
this case, you added a supporting document as an attachment to this Case.
With AnyFile, you can build applications that store files like documents or pictures as part of your
applications database. These types of applications can warehouse tremendous amounts of information in
any file formats that you choose.
66. Click [OK]
67. Click [Save]
68. Modify the case.
69. Priority = High
70. Click [Save].
71. Click [Changes] and choose History (top of the screen).
72. SuperCRM highlights your most recent change in green
73. Click [Close details] to close the History screen.
74. Make some more changes and click [Save].
75. Click [History] again.
76. Click each change date and time to review changes.
77. Click [Close details]
78. Click [Close]
79. Click [Logout].
You have just experienced a power feature called TimeRelation. TimeRelation automatically stores your
applications-data changes. You can view all changes over time. You can query as-of a particular date.
EnterpriseTenFold SOA comes with many power features: Actual TimeRelation, Valid TimeRelation,
AuditTrail, Event TimeRelation, SecurityByValue, and thousands more.
TimeRelation is activated by table. If you changed a field in Case details that stores data in a separate table
from the table in the parent view, these changes will not be reflected in History. For example, changes made
on the Attachments tab are not reflected in History.
Basic Concepts Page 8/18
In Step 2, you experienced a number of standard features. To learn more about these particular power
features read BrowserClient, QueryByExample, Actual TimeRelation, AuditTrail, Valid TimeRelation, Event
TimeRelation, SecurityByValue, and PowerQuery.
Step 3 – Sign on to SuperCRM as the administrator and create a new end-user
1. The SuperCRM Windows client icon looks like this – double click it to
start administering SuperCRM. (You can use the still-running
SuperCRM if you followed Lesson 2 and did not close SuperCRM. If so,
choose Options…Signon to sign on as a different user.)
2. User name = Admin
3. Password = Admin
The administrator end-user for SuperCRM is Admin. Of course, when you build your own application, you
assign your own user-names and give each user (or UserGroup) the responsibilities you choose.
1. From the Security menu, choose MaintainEmployees .
2. Click [New].
3. Right click on the zoom-to graphic located on the right of the User name field, click [Add end-
4. User name = JSMITH
5. Password = ***** [You decide on a password, but don’t forget it!]
6. Verify password = *****
7. Full name = John Smith
8. Responsibility = SuperCRM sales
9. Click [Save]
10. Click [Select]
11. First name = John
12. Last name = Smith
13. Title = Salesperson
14. Click [Save]
15. While we are the administrator, let's see a useful and powerful feature to
track application-response time.
16. From the Troubleshooting menu choose Measure..ResponseTime.
17. Click [Start recording].
18. Minimize this window; we will come back to it later.
EnterpriseTenFold includes administrative, management, troubleshooting, and tuning tools in each
application. When you get a moment, browse the administrator menu to see all the transactions that
automatically become part of each TenFold-powered application. Open the transactions if you want and
read on-line help for the transaction to see the power and flexibility of each transaction.
Step 4 – Experience WindowsClient power by running SuperCRM via Windows
1. The SuperCRM Windows icon looks like this – double click the icon to
start SuperCRM via Windows. (Start a second session - leave the
administrator window open, we'll come back to it later).
2. User name = jsmith
3. Password = ******
Basic Concepts Page 9/18
4. Choose Accounts (at the bottom of the screen).
5. Click the All active accounts query.
6. Note that all SmartNavigation and query features you used in the
browser are also in WindowsClient. Try them out; they work the same.
7. Click the drop-down next to Single and choose Split. You can navigate
through the grid-style data and see selected data Single-style. You can
resize the split by click-dragging the separator.
8. Double-click the Status column heading to sort one way. Double-click
again to sort in reverse. Sorting works on all grid columns.
9. Click [Single] to close the split screen.
10. Click [Multiple] to see your data in a grid-style.
11. Right click in the window and choose QuickExport . See that your data
exported into a spreadsheet. (You need Excel on your PC for this feature
to work.) Close Excel.
12. Right click a phone number and choose Copy.
13. Click [New] to add a new account and position your cursor in the Phone
field right click and choose Paste.
14. You can copy and paste multiple columns of data, from your TenFold
application or from Excel spreadsheet cells.
15. Click [Close] to close the Account details screen.
16. Click [Edit queries] and see your TestQuery you defined earlier.
17. Click [Run] to return records matching your PowerQuery.
QuickExport is an EnterpriseTenFold SOA power feature that makes end-user jobs easier. QuickExport and
other query facilities make it easy to create a spreadsheet to satisfy any ad hoc reporting needs.
QuickExport is available in every transaction grid. For even tighter integration with existing Excel
spreadsheets, choose BuildExcel-It from the Action menu to explore how easy it is to create existing-
spreadsheet exports, and you can import too!
18. Click [Close] on Account Details to return to the Accounts screen.
19. Click [Create new account].
20. Click F1 to view OnLineHelp or right-click on the field and select
21. Click [Close] to close OnLineHelp.
22. Click [Close] to close Account details.
OnLineHelp is available for every transaction and field. Click [F1] and OnLineHelp pops up with help in
context of what you were doing when you clicked F1. End-users get help when and where they need it.
23. From the Tools menu, choose AutoDocument..Menus.
24. Review your applications documentation.
25. In Microsoft Word, choose File..Close.
26. From the Tools menu, choose Exit.
Because EnterpriseTenFold SOA stores the entire applications description in the TenFold Dictionary, that
description is available to generate great documentation. Documentation always precisely matches your
application, since TenFold renders your application from the same description. We call this feature
WindowsClient has many other powerful features that every application includes. To learn more about
EnterpriseTenFold SOA capabilities read WindowsClient, AutoDocument, and BuildExcel-It transaction.
Ensure that you chose Exit. Why? Because EnterpriseTenFold SOA logs end-user activity after you sign off
and we want to see end-user activity history and response-time measurements.
Step 5 – Review Sign-on history and application statistics
Basic Concepts Page 10/18
1. Use the window you minimized in Step 3. If you closed that window,
the Windows icon looks like this, double click to start administering
2. User name = Admin
3. Password = Admin
4. From the Security menu, choose ManageEndUsers.
5. Enter JSMITH (the new user that we created above)
6. Click [Run Query].
TenFold displays sign-on history. To purge inactive sign-history click [Purge history] and [Save].
7. From the Troubleshooting menu, choose
8. Click the Search tab and click [Search].
9. On the Manage tab Click [Stop recording].
10. Invoke Tools..Exit to close the application.
When administrators enable it, Application Response
Measurements (ARM) times every end-user action, so
you can tune performance on the first day of
development and measure it anytime.
If you do not see any response measurements, ensure that you clicked Exit in your SuperCRM window.
Response measurements log to the database when you sign off.
In Lesson 2, you saw how easy it is to use a TenFold-powered application, what
TenFold means by enterprise quality, and power features like Excel integration, AJAX,
and more. Building SuperCRM did not require programming, as EnterpriseTenFold
SOA automatically provides power features as part of its model-driven approach. Other
tutorials show you how to build an application without programming.
If you can avoid programming while increasing quality and providing all the power
features your end-users seek, your IT strategies change dramatically. EnterpriseTenFold
SOA empowers IT to build better applications at 10% of traditional applications
development cost. Further, you can maintain those applications at a fraction of the cost
of traditional maintenance while delivering on every business need.
Remember, EnterpriseTenFold SOA is 100% compatible with .NET and J2EE web
services and supports all Enterprise Service Bus technologies.
Lesson 3 – Experience extremely rapid applications change
Rapid applications development has been around for years. However, traditional rapid
applications development does not apply to maintaining a production application.
EntepriseTenFold SOA avoids programming and, instead, lets you describe services
and applications features. Once described, you do Try-it-Improve-it until your business
people are delighted. We call this process XRAD (Extremely Rapid Applications
Development). XRAD lets you build a working, tested, usable application in less time
Basic Concepts Page 11/18
than it normally takes for traditional requirements gathering. As you follow this lesson,
you’ll discover that XRAD also lets you change an application amazingly quickly.
During Lesson 3, we walk through application changes in minutes that would take
weeks or months with traditional programming approaches. Using TenFoldTools you:
• Create a new transaction
• Connect your transaction to Google Maps
• Attach the transaction to a SuperCRM menu
• Add a new database column to your physical database
• Update every applications component that your database change requires
Step 1 – Create a new transaction
1. Double click the EnterpriseTenFold SOA icon. (If you are using Personal Edition
your icon reads Personal Edition)
2. User name = Business
3. Password = Business
4. Choose the Applications builder responsibility.
TenFoldTools comes with template end-users for building and maintaining your application :
• Business (password = Business) – Create and maintain your application
• IT (password = IT) – Create and maintain your database design
• Admin (password = Admin) – Administer TenFoldTools
TenFoldTools comes with standard user names and passwords. Of course, when you use TenFoldTools in a
team situation, you assign your own user-names and give each user the responsibilities you choose.
5. From the WelcomeMenu, choose BuildApplication..BuildTransaction.
6. Name = SCRMMap
7. Parent table = SCRMContactAddress
8. Click [Windows ShowMe]
ShowMe creates a screen for you automatically. TenFoldTools reaches through your database design, grabs
important data related to the ContactAddress table and displays it on a screen in a usable way.
EnterpriseTenFold SOA Personal Edition 2007 provides two ShowMe buttons: Windows ShowMe to view
your transaction in WindowsClient and Browser ShowMe to view your transaction in BrowserClient.
References to clicking ShowMe throughout this tutorial mean that you can click Windows ShowMe or
Browser ShowMe depending on your choice of the user interface.
9. Your screen should look like this.
10. Click [Close].
11. Click the Layout tab.
12. Click the [+] in the Layout region next to ContactAddress to
expand its subordinates ([+] changes to [-]).
Basic Concepts Page 12/18
13. In the expanded Layout grid, choose the Contact region.
14. Click the Fields tab and check the Invisible checkbox for all visible
15. Click [Windows ShowMe] again.
Your transaction is fully functional. In the first step you built a screen that reads data from the
ContactAdresss table. In the next step, we use the data from this screen to display a map.
Step 2 – Add web field for a Google map
1. Let's edit the SCRMMap transaction. Return to the
2. Click the Transaction Tab.
3. Choose the Address region under layout.
4. Right click the fold-down, top-right corner on Address and choose
Edit region details.
5. Layout columns = 1
6. Column width = 30
7. Click [Save and return].
8. Right click the fold-down, top-right corner on Address in the
Region column and choose [Insert region].
9. Region = Tile
10. Style = Horizontal Tile
11. Right click the fold-down, top-right corner on Who in the Region
column and choose [Insert region].
12. Region = Map
13. Style = Single region
14. Choose Address region.
15. Click the move-right arrow [>] (button at the bottom left
16. Choose the Map region.
17. Click the move-right arrow [>].
18. Click [Save].
19. In BuildTransaction, choose the
20. Click the Fields tab.
21. Right click the fold-down, top-
right corner under the Prompt
column and choose[Insert
22. Prompt = Map
24. Width = 80
26. Erase the field prompt.
27. Click [Save].
28. Click [Windows ShowMe].
29. Click [Close].
Basic Concepts Page 13/18
30. Click the Transaction tab.
31. Choose the Map region.
32. Click the Fields Tab.
33. Right click on the Map field (now
renamed <no prompt>
ContactAddressMap since you
erased its prompt), and click Edit
34. In the Additional options region
pick Edit as = HTMLEdit
In SingleRegion display,
Pixels = <checked>, Width = 450,
Height = 300
35. Click the Suggestions tab.
36. Click [Run this function
immediately after query] tab
37. Function =
the query completion region)
38. For pLine1, Field =
39. For pLine2, Field =
40. For pCity, Field =
41. For pState, Field =
42. For pPostalCode, Field =
43. For pCountry, Field =
44. For pMapHTML, Field =
45. Click the Data tab.
46. Length = 3000
47. Click [Save and return].
48. Click [Windows ShowMe].
49. Click [Query].
50. Click [RunQuery].
51. Your screen should look like the
image on the right.
52. Click [Next] a few times to see
53. Click [Close] on ShowMe window.
54. Click [Close] on BuildTransaction
SuperCRM comes with many TenFold Language functions and other interfaces to access popular web-
based services like Google Maps and MapPoint. You can use the TenFoldTools transaction, BuildFunction,
to view functions like SCRMGetGoogleMapHTML, where you can see how easy exactly how we invoke the
web service. To open BuildFunction choose BuildFunction from the BuildApplication menu.
Google maps requires a key for every unique domain. We provide a key for use with Personal Edition that
you should only use for testing. You can see the key variable listed as an optional parameter when you
mapped the Google function to your transaction. For your own key visit
Basic Concepts Page 14/18
Step 3 – Create a menu entry for your new transaction
1. From the WelcomeMenu, choose BuildApplication..BuildMenus.
2. Choose the SuperCRM sales tab.
3. Click [+] on the PopUps row in your menu definition.
4. Choose the AccountDetails entry.
5. Click [Insert] at the bottom.
6. Prompt = Map
7. Invisible = <checked>
9. Brief help = View address with Google maps
10. Click [Save].
11. Click [Close].
At this point, you created a new menu entry on the Sales responsibility and attached the transaction you
just built to that menu entry, however, it is invisible. In Step 4, you will add a zoom to link your application
to your new transaction.
Step 4 – Add a zoom from contact address to cleverly invoke your new transaction
1. From the WelcomeMenu, choose BuildApplication..BuildTransaction
2. Click [Query].
3. Transaction name = SCRMContacts
4. Click [Run query].
5. Choose ContactAddressMain from the Layout region.
6. Click the Fields tab.
7. Right click on the field with prompt ‘<No prompt>
8. Click [Edit field details].
9. Click Advanced tab.
10. Delete pop-up map from Prompt field (In ActionCorner region)
and press <Tab>.
11. Add Prompt = Pop-up map
12. Zoom to Transaction = SCRMMap
13. Run with one click = <checked>
14. Copy from field = ContactAddressID
15. Copy to field = ContactAddressID
16. Copy direction = BothWays
17. Click [Save and return].
18. Click [Save].
Basic Concepts Page 15/18
Now your transaction is ready to use. When you click the Map link, SuperCRM will launch your newly
built screen rather than the original MapPoint screen. If you wish, sign onto SuperCRM via either Windows
or a browser and check it out. Wow! In minutes you built a transaction, connected it to Google, and put
your transaction “into production.”
Step 5 – View a history of recent applications objects you have modified
1. From the PowerFeatures menu, choose
The BuilderWorkbench displays applications objects that you changed most recently. You can see your
SCRMMap transaction here. Click once on the transaction and you are ready to edit it.
Applications developers love BuilderWorkbench because it automatically references pretty much anything
you wish to work on by remembering your prior activities.
Step 6 – Change your database design to add a column to an existing table
In this scenario, business users need SuperCRM to store the planned date for new
solutions. In this step, we add Planned date to the solutions database table and
automatically propagate that change to already-working transactions.
1. Return to EnterpriseTenFold SOA and choose Options..Sign on, or
double-click your EnterpriseTenFold SOA icon.
2. User name = IT
10. Password = IT
11. From the WelcomeMenu, choose DesignDatabase.
12. Click the SCRMCustomerContact group tab.
13. Choose the SCRMSolution table.
14. Click the Columns Tab.
15. Click in the first available row (just after LastUpdatingProcess), or
16. Column = PlannedDate
17. Data type = Date
18. Region = Solution
19. Click [Save].
20. Right click or choose the ActionCorner on PlannedDate column
name and choose AddFields.
Basic Concepts Page 16/18
21. For each suggested transaction, check the checkbox.
22. Click [AddFields].
23. Click [Close]
24. Click the Tables tab.
25. Click [Change database].
26. On the ChangeDatabase pop-up click [Create or change].
27. Click [Close].
28. Click [Save].
29. From the Options menu, choose Quit.
You have just changed transactions that use the Solutions table. Now each transaction supports all
SmartSQL operations using this new column, without writing a line of SQL and without doing any coding,
and you get a slick user interface to boot.
Step 7 – Use transactions that show off Planned date
1. Start SuperCRM via a browser by clicking the SuperCRM browser icon.
2. User name = Sales
3. Password = Sales
4. Choose the Contacts tab.
5. Click a contact name, like Jacob Green.
6. Click Map next to the address.
7. Click [Close] in the map pop-up window.
8. Click [Close] in Contact details.
9. Click [LogOut].
10. User name = Support
11. Password = Support
12. Click on a Recent item (like Replace insulating oil).
13. Use the CalendarSelector to choose a Planned date (the field you just added).
14. Click [Save] and [Close].
15. Re-pick your Solution and see your Planned date is there.
16. Click [Close].
These new features work in both the browser version of your application and the Windows version. Try it!
You have experienced a unique technology, EnterpriseTenFold SOA, which used a
model-driven approach to render and publish SuperCRM from its description. You also
made several changes to the SuperCRM application by modifying its description
without writing or compiling code.
SuperCRM used a Microsoft MapPoint Web Service that you changed to GoogleMaps, a
different type of web-based applications service. EnterpriseTenFold SOA can connect to
any service without coding. That’s not all. Without code, you can also expose any part
of a TenFold-powered application as a Web Service.
Basic Concepts Page 17/18
The benefits of Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) have been discussed for years.
Realizing these benefits at a reasonable cost, however, has yet to occur.
With EnterpriseTenFold SOA, you avoid writing code and build better applications 90%
faster on your first project. Once you complete an application, EnterpriseTenFold SOA
makes it easy to go into production, manage your application, support your end-users,
and change the application as your business changes.
TenFold applications never wear out!
EnterpriseTenFold SOA lets IT organizations satisfy business end-users quickly and at
low cost with a technology that is 100% compatible with existing and evolving Web
Service, database, operating system, and Enterprise Service Bus standards.
Basic Concepts Page 18/18