Position Description: Gallery Assistant (0.8 Part-time ...
Position Description: Gallery Assistant (0.8 Part-time): April 2006
Organisation: Centre for Contemporary Photography
The CCP is a not-for-profit, membership organisation and public
art gallery representing contemporary photography through a range
of exhibition and education programs. For further information
please go to www.ccp.org.au
Remuneration: $30,000 pro-rata. Employer superannuation contribution at
legislated government rates.
Accountability: The Gallery Assistant is employed by, and is responsible to, the
Director and the Board of Management of Centre for
Employment type: Subject to the terms and conditions set out in the Employment
Agreement, the appointment is for a fixed-term period of 3 months
from commencement of employment, with the possibility of being
extended by 1 year.
Location: The position of Gallery Assistant is located at Centre for
Contemporary Photography, 404 George Street, Fitzroy, Vic, 3065.
Hours: Wednesday – Saturday, 10am – 6pm. Attendance may also be
required at all openings and other nominated functions.
Advice to applicants: Send applications by mail to: Naomi Cass, Director
Enquiries: email@example.com or (03) 9417 1549
Applicants must address the selection criteria and provide a
curriculum vitae by the closing date. Please include the names,
telephone numbers and email addresses of two referees in your
application. Thank you.
Closing date: Friday 12 May, 5pm
Notification of interviews: Tuesday 16 May
Interviews: Thursday 24/25 May
Commencement: As soon as practical.
Reporting to the Director of Centre for Contemporary Photography, the Gallery Assistant’s role
is to assist in the efficient operation of CCP in the achievement of its goals. The Gallery
Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Front of House
• Located at the front desk and to welcome visitors to the CCP, provide information and
orientation and assist with visitor enquiries.
• Manage all sales at front-of-house accurately using MYOB software.
• Coordinate the stock level, artwork collection and wrapping of print sales in liaison with the
• Promote and encourage distribution of Centre for Contemporary Photography publications.
• Record accurate attendance figures daily.
• Carefully follow instructions for turning on/off particular artwork, make sure that exhibition
spaces are neat and tidy at all times.
• Take telephone and other messages for staff.
• Maintain the presentation of bookstore and front of house counter.
General Administration and Office Management
• Undertake general correspondence.
• Assist the CCP Manager with maintenance of the gallery.
• Record accurate attendance for all CCP activities in consultation with the CCP Manager.
• Maintain and update database and mailing lists, in consultation with the CCP Manager.
• Maintain the CCP members’ database including processing applications/renewals, database
entry and distribution of information to members.
• Ensure the security of all works of art presented at Centre for Contemporary Photography and
volunteers understanding of the same.
• Assist the CCP Manager with processing the CCP’s Salon entry forms and provide support for
the exhibition logistics where required.
CCP Books and Prints and CCP Publications
• Work with Sainsbury’s to stock bookshop.
• Enter and maintain Sainsbury’s inventory at CCP on MYOB accounting software.
• Promote and encourage distribution of CCP publications.
• Maintain smart presentation of bookshop and front of house counter.
Education and Public Programs
• Manage the Weekend Workshop and History of Photography seminar programs and other
public programs including enrolments, maintaining database, distribution of information to
participants and to course producer.
• Coordinate the ticket sales for the CCP lecture series
• Record, process and reconcile sales using MYOB accounting software in consultation with the
CCP Manager. Assist the CCP Manager with banking requirements.
• Maintain the CCP volunteer staff database and communications with volunteers.
• Coordinate volunteer diary to assist with openings, mail out, archiving, installations, and other
tasks to assist in line with duties.
• Brief volunteers on Front of House issues, exhibitions, bookshop and general operations.
• Assist Director and other staff with duties as required.
Centre for Contemporary Photography Position description: Gallery Assistant April 2006 2
Centre for Contemporary Photography Position description: Gallery Assistant April 2006 3
Key Selection Criteria
1. Relevant gallery or related experience in the field of contemporary art, combined
with the ability to work in a self-directed context;
2. Demonstrated ability to work with the public;
3. Knowledge of photo-visual arts practices;
4. Demonstrated administrative and organisational skills;
5. Well developed written and verbal communication skills.
Tertiary qualifications in visual arts, fine art, curatorial/museum studies or an
appropriate, related discipline.
Familiarity with the following Macintosh applications:
Database: Filemaker Pro.
Correspondence: Microsoft Word, Excel.
Financial: MYOB Account Edge
Centre for Contemporary Photography Position description: Gallery Assistant April 2006 4