IT services and programs for faculty, staff, and students are here.
Contact info in handout and listed at the end. A first stop or call when having computer issues.
iTunes U will provide a familiar, easy-to-use interface containing video and audio files of UM events such as classroom lectures, public seminars, and community events.
Whether your student brings a computer to campus or not, the student labs offer an excellent study and computing space.
Multimedia lab can be reserved for creating and rehearsing presentations. Recently had biology students using the equipment in there to create podcasts. Bluelight café can be used by anyone, including parents and other visitors for Web access and to check e-mail. Wireless access throughout building, including the outdoor areas that are very attractive to students.
NEED 2009 Values. 2007 or 2008 Values below: 92% of last year’s resident hall students and 89% of all students had their own computer 87% of last year’s computer-owning resident hall students and 75% of all computer-owning students had laptops Mention tablet PC as an alternative. 70% of faculty and staff are PC users while the remaining 30% are Mac users. Some departments use predominantly Mac or PC. (e.g., Art) The School of Pharmacy has a laptop requirement for P2 and P3 students. Mention why Mac or PC…graphics, etc. School or department may recommend one or the other. A concern is how much theft of laptop systems has been seen on campus? According to UPD, they have had few reports of such theft. Usually happens when a laptop is left unattended. IT has put together recommendations for a high end system that should last a student through the four or more years they are with us. THESE RECOMMENDATIONS ARE FOR NEW PURCHAES ONLY. If you already have a computer that you are planning to send to campus with your student it MAY be all they need to use in the beginning. Check with the Helpdesk (5222) if you have questions concerning a used or existing computer’s capability.
These websites can be accessed from this site www.olemiss.edu/computers. The pricing on Apple systems is usually the best pricing at the UM site. Apple Store opened last year. (S Always, compare the pricing that is listed at the Dell or Gateway sites with their home sites. Often pricing is better from the home division than the pricing offered at University partnered sites.
This is through our Adobe CLP license which now allows UM students, faculty, and staff to purchase select Adobe products at greatly discounted prices. The link above is to a page customized especially for UM.
www.olemiss.edu/online/av Physical address is also known as hardware or adapter address – a unique identifier Spybot, Ad-aware, Windows Defender
Many administrative tasks that used to be on paper are now online. The university uses e-mail as its primary mode of communication with students. Can be forwarded, but must be checked. Address will reveal on its own Although, BB is a software there is nothing to purchase. BB is accessed from a web browser. Many instructors use Blackboard in their classes. BB—provides a storage space for instructors and students to exchange documents—in some cases this takes all the paper out of the classroom and transfer documentation to digital format, some instructors post lecture notes and presentation within BB, there is a section for instructors to post grades, BB contains communication tools in the form of email, discussion boards, and class chat rooms.
Have already agreed to this policy. Need to understand what is appropriate use of university IT resources. Stress the importance of having virus protection. Possible violations of the policy include: Spam Pornography Downloading & Sharing Movies and Songs
Mathematica site license Matlab site license
Getting Connected with Campus Computing Visit us on the Web at www.olemiss.edu/depts/it. Jason Hale, Teresa McCarver Fall 2009
Mathematica, Matlab, SPSS, SAS, scripts, compiling, etc.
Visit us on the Web at www.olemiss.edu/depts/it. www.mcsr.olemiss.edu
For More Information Visit us on the Web at www.olemiss.edu/depts/it. Visit us on the Web at www.olemiss.edu/depts/it. Jason Hale Interim Director, MCSR [email_address] Teresa McCarver Helpdesk Manager, OIT [email_address]