June 25, 1927–October 3, 2013
9. Daniel chapter 7 takes us out to the end of Daniel's life during the reigns of Darius and Cyrus, the Medo-Persian kingsand we're going to start dealing with visionsthat Daniel received.
10. Daniel 7:1-7 NKJV
Vision of the Four Beasts
1 In the first year of
Belshazzar king of Babylon, Daniel had a dream and visionsof his head whileon his bed.
Then he wrote down the dream, telling the main facts.
11. 2Daniel spoke, saying,
“I saw in my vision by night, and behold, the four winds of heaven were stirring up the Great Sea.
12. 3And four great beastscame up from the sea, each different from the other.
13. 4The first waslike a lion, and had eagle’s wings. I watched till its wings were plucked off; and it was lifted up from the earth and made to stand on two feetlike a man, and a man’s heartwas given to it.
14. 5“And suddenly another beast, a second, like a bear.
It was raised up on one side, and hadthree ribs in its mouth between its teeth.
And they said thus to it:
‘Arise, devour much flesh!’
15. 6“After this I looked, and there was another, like a leopard, which had on its back four wings of a bird. The beast also had four heads, and dominion was given to it.
16. 7“After this I saw in the night visions, and behold, a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, exceedingly strong. It had huge iron teeth; it was devouring, breaking in pieces, and trampling the residue with its feet. It wasdifferentfrom all the beasts that werebefore it, and it had ten horns.Daniel 7:1-7NKJV
As we read of these four beasts, we immediately see
their correlationwith the dream that Nebuchadnezzar
had that was
Daniel in chapter
20. Nebuchadnezzar had a vision of the governments that would govern over the world.
*In Nebuchadnezzar's dream, he saw those empires as an image of a man, with a head of gold, the chest of silver, stomach of brass, legs of iron, and the feet of iron and clay with the ten toes.
The lionwould, of course, symbolize the Babylon Empire.
The lion had eagle's wingsthat were plucked, it was lifted up from the earth, but then it was made to stand like a man.
The second beast was like a bearwith three ribs in its mouth represented the Medo- Persian
The third, the leopard would be the Grecian Empire, under Alexander the Great.
31. When Alexander the Great died, his kingdom did not pass on because he did not have any children.
*The Grecian Empire was divided into four separate headsand four of his generals began to rule: one in Syria, one in Egypt, one in Asia Minor, and the other in Greece.
38. There is someinteresting enlightenmenthere in chapter seven that did not come in Nebuchadnezzar's dream of chapter two.
39. Daniel 7:8 NKJV
8I was considering the horns, and there was another horn, a little one, coming up among them, before whom three of the first horns were plucked outby the roots.
And there, in this horn, wereeyeslike the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking
There is to be a federationof nations in the last days,
nations that were once related to
42. So there is an eleventh horn that arises, which actually takes over three of the horns -plucks them up by their roots.
And in this horn there were eyeslike the eyes of a man and a mouthspeaking great things.
This eleventh horn is the antichrist, who will come in plucking up three of the kings.
44. Daniel 7:9 NKJV
Vision of the Ancient of Days
9“I watched till thrones were put in place, And the Ancient of Dayswas seated; His garment waswhite as snow,
45. And the hair of His head waslike pure wool. His throne wasa fiery flame, Its wheels a burning fire;
Daniel 7:9 NKJV
Ancient of Days
47. Daniel 7:10 NKJV
10A fiery stream issuedAnd came forth from before Him. A thousand thousands ministered to Him; Ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him. The courtwas seated, And the books were opened.
55. We see the brightness of God as He sits there upon the throne.
*And then our attention is diverted to the scrollthat is in the right hand of God because an angel is proclaiming with a loud voice, "Who is worthyto take this scroll and to loose the seals?"
56. *We see Jesusas a Lamb that has been slaughtered as He comes forth and He takes the scrollout of the right hand of Him Who sits upon the throne.
And we watched them as they offered the golden vialsfull of odors, which are the prayers of the saints,
60. and we began to sing, "Worthy is the Lamb to take the scroll and to loose the seals thereof, for He was slain and He has redeemedus by His blood out of all the nations, tribes, tongues, and peoples and He has made us unto our God,
kings and priests and we shall reign with Himupon the earth."
62. This scene in Heaven will be followed immediatelyby the open book and the open scroll which brings about the judgment-not the Great White Throne judgment-but the judgment of Godupon the Christ-rejecting world which is
then described in Revelation, chapters 6 through 18.
64. So Danieland Johnhad corresponding visions of this throne of Godand the glory of the throne of God and the impending judgment upon the kingdom of man.
65. Daniel 7:11-12 NKJV
11“I watched then because of the sound of the pompous words which the horn was speaking; I watched till the beast was slain, and its body destroyed and given to the burning flame.
66. 12As for the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away, yet their lives were prolonged for a season and a time.
Daniel 7:11-12 NKJV
67. We are told concerning this beast, the man of sin, the son of perdition, commonly called the antichrist, that he speaks great blasphemous things against the God of Heaven.
68. And that he finally declares that he himself is Godand demands to be worshipped as God.
He puts to deaththose that refuse to worship him.
69. We are told in the book of Revelation that when Jesus comes again that He will destroythis instrument of Satan, this man of sin, and he will be cast into Gehenna, the lake that burnethwith fire.
Daniel and Revelation are running side-by-sideparallel visions.
72. Daniel 7:13-14 NKJV
13 “I was watching in the night visions, And behold, Onelike the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven!
73. He came to the Ancient of
And they brought Him near before Him. 14Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him.
74. His dominion isan everlasting
dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the oneWhich shall not be destroyed.
Daniel 7:13-14 NKJV
75. Daniel now sees Jesus Christ and the receiving of the glorious kingdombeing given to Jesus and coming to reign.
A kingdom that shall never end.
76. Isaiah 9:6-7 NKJV
6For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be calledWonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
77. 7Of the increase of Hisgovernment and peaceThere will beno end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
78. From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the LORDof hosts will perform this.
Isaiah 9:6-7 KJV
79. Luke 1:30-33 NKJV
30Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS.
80. 32He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throneof His father David. 33And He will reignover the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”Luke 1:30-33 NKJV
So Daniel got a beautiful insight into these things as he sees Jesus
the clouds of
82. Coming to the Ancient of days and receiving the authority, the dominion, the glory, the kingdom, to rule all of the world.
83. Psalm 2:8 NKJV
8Ask of Me, and I will give YouThe nations forYour inheritance, And the ends of the earth forYour possession.
(the glorious kingdom of God.)
84. Daniel 7:15-18 NKJV
Daniel’s Visions Interpreted
15“I, Daniel, was grieved in my spirit within mybody, and the visions of my head troubled me.
85. 16I came near to one of those who stood by, and asked him the truth of all this. So he told me and made known to me the interpretation of these things:
86. 17‘Those great beasts, which are four, arefour kingswhicharise out of the earth. 18But the saintsof the Most High shall receive the kingdom, and possess the kingdom forever, even forever and ever.’
Daniel 7:15-18 NKJV
87. These are the kingdoms that are going to rule over the earth, but ultimately the saints will take the kingdom.
88. Daniel 7:19-21 NKJV
19“Then I wished to know the truth about the fourth beast, which was different from all the others, exceedingly dreadful, withits teeth of iron and its nails of bronze, whichdevoured, broke in pieces, and trampled the residue with its feet;
89. 20and the ten hornsthat wereon its head, and the other hornwhich came up, before which three fell, namely, that horn which had eyes and a mouth which spoke pompous words, whose appearance wasgreater than his fellows.
90. 21“I was watching; and the same horn was making war against the saints, and prevailing against them,
Daniel 7:19-21 NKJV
91. Now we are told this also in Revelation 13as he speaks of the rise of the beast out of the sea, the antichrist, that he makes war with the saints and overcomes them.
92. Because the antichrist prevails against the saints, I conclude that the saints here are not the church.
93. We have the promise of Jesus Christmade in Caesarea Philippi to His disciples, when Peter said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God," Jesus said, "Upon this rockI will build My church and the gates of hell shall not prevailagainst it"(Matthew 16:18).
94. There's no waythe antichrist, or the gates of hell, or Satan can prevail against the church of Jesus Christ.
96. So by virtue of the fact that the antichrist is prevailing against the saints, they could not be the church, but will be redeemed Israel in the Tribulation period.
And he will make war against Israel.
97. He comes to Jerusalem and he makes waragainst the remnant of the woman's seed or of Israel.
But they are not the churchbecause Daniel did not see the churchin his prophecies.
98. Daniel 7:22-25 NKJV
22until the Ancient of Days came, and a judgment was made in favorof the saints of the Most High, and the time came for the saints to possess the kingdom.
99. 23“Thus he said: ‘The fourth beast shall bea fourth kingdomon earth,which shall be differentfrom all otherkingdoms, and shall devourthe wholeearth, Trample it and break it in pieces.
100. 24The ten horns areten kingsWhoshall arise from this kingdom. And anothershall rise after them;
He shall be differentfrom the first ones, And shall subduethree kings.
101. 25He shall speak pompouswords against the Most High, Shall persecutethe saints of the Most High, And shall intend to change times and law.
102. Then the saintsshall be given into his hand
For a time and times and half a time.
Daniel 7:22-25 NKJV
103. For a three and half year period he will rule, coming to Jerusalem, and beginning to make war against Israel.
During the first three and half years of his reign he'll make a treatywith Israel.
104. We'll get this next week in Daniel, chapter 9.
But then he will break this treatywhich will start the beginning of the endand the countdown, the last days until the return of Jesus Christ.
105. The antichrist is given powerto rule over these saints, the redeemed Israel, for three and half years.
106. Daniel 7:26-28 NKJV
26‘But the court shall be seated, And they shall take away his dominion, To consume and destroy itforever.
107. 27Then the kingdom and dominion, And the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven, Shall be given to the people, the saintsof the Most High. His kingdom isan everlasting kingdom, And all dominions shall serve and obey Him.’
108. 28“This isthe end of the account.As for me, Daniel, my thoughts greatly troubled me, and my countenance changed; but I kept the matter in my heart.”
Daniel 7:26-28 NKJV
Daniel Chapter 8
Now two years later:
Vision of a Ram and a Goat
110. Daniel 8:1-3 NKJV
1 In the third year of the reign of King Belshazzar a vision appeared tome—to
me, Daniel—after the one that appeared to me the first time.
111. 2I saw in the vision, and it so happened while I was looking, that I wasin Shushan, the citadel, which isin the province of Elam; and I saw in the vision that I was by the River Ulai.
112. 3Then I lifted my eyes and saw, and there, standing beside the river, was a ramwhich had two horns, and the two horns werehigh; but one washigher than the other, and the higher onecame up last.
Daniel 8:1-3 NKJV
113. The Medo-Persian Empireis represented by the two horns.
The Persian Empire being the highercoming up last and was more powerfulthan the Median Empire.
114. Daniel 8:4-5 NKJV
4I saw the rampushing westward, northward, and southward, so that no animal could withstand him; nor was there anythat could deliver from his hand, but he did according to his will and became great.
115. 5And as I was considering, suddenly a male goatcame from the west, across the surface of the whole earth, without touching the ground; and the goat hada notable hornbetween his eyes.
Daniel 8:4-5 NKJV
117. Daniel was watching this ram, the Medo-Persian Empire, as it was conquering, but suddenly there comes this goatout of the west, Greece, with a notable horn, Alexander the Great.
118. And conquering so rapidly that the feet weren't touching the ground.
*You read of the conquests of Alexander the Great, and it's amazing how rapidlyhe was able to conquer the known world at that time.
119. Daniel 8:6-8 NKJV
6Then he came to the ram that had two horns, which I had seen standing beside the river, and ran at him with furious power. 7And I saw him confronting the ram;he was moved with rage
120. against him, attacked the ram, and broke his two horns. There was no power in the ram to withstand him, but he cast him down to the ground and trampled him; and there was no one that could deliver the ram from his hand.
121. 8Therefore the male goat grew very great; but when he became strong, the large horn was broken, and in place of it four notable onescame up toward the four winds of heaven.
Daniel 8:6-8 NKJV
122. A graphic prophecy, fabulous, interesting prophecy.
How could Daniel knowthis except by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, that the great horn, Alexander would be broken in his youth?
123. Thirty-twoyears old when he died.
And the Grecian Empire passed on to the four generals, Syria, Antiochus Epiphanes, and then of course out of Egypt, Asia Minor, and Greece.
124. Daniel 8:9 NKJV
9And out of one of them came a little hornwhich grew exceedingly great toward the south, toward the east, and toward the Glorious Land.
125. Antiochus Epiphanes(a type of antichrist) who moved against Egypt down toward the south and, of course, in passing from Syria into Egypt, he had to go through the land of Israel.
126. Daniel 8:10 NKJV
10And it grew up to the host of heaven; and it cast down someof the host and someof the stars to the ground, and trampled them.
127. Now we go from Antiochus Epiphanesto what he has a type of the antichrist and we go on now right to the antichrist.
128. Daniel 8:11-14 NKJV
11He even exalted himselfas high as the Prince of the host; and by him the daily sacrificeswere taken away, and the place of His sanctuary was cast down.
129. 12Because of transgression, an army was given over to the hornto oppose the daily sacrifices; and he cast truth down to the ground.
He did all thisand prospered.
130. 13Then I heard a holy one speaking; and anotherholy one said to that certain onewho was speaking, “How longwillthe vision be, concerningthe daily sacrificesand the transgression of desolation, the giving of both the sanctuary and the host to be trampled underfoot?”
131. 14And he said to me, “For two thousand three hundred days; then the sanctuary shall be cleansed.”
Daniel 8:11-14 NKJV
132. Now this, of course, is a prophecy concerning Antiochus Epiphanes.
*It does have a dual aspectin the fulfillment.
*Daniel is talking about this profaning of the templeby Antiochus Epiphanes.
133. When he came to Jerusalem to show his utter disregardfor God and for their beliefs, he sacrificed a pigupon the holy altar there in Jerusalem.
And he sought to turn the temple into a pagan temple.
134. This created such a feeling of incensein the Jewish zealots, that Judas Maccabaeus gathered together a group of men and against insurmountable odds came to Jerusalem and defeated the Syrian armythat was there.
135. This is where the Feast of Dedication comes from, Hanukkah, and they wanted to re-establishthe true worship.
*Interestingly enough, it was 2,300 daysafter Antiochus Epiphanes had profaned the temple, exactly as Daniel said.
136. Twenty-three hundred days later, Judas Maccabaeus and these faithful zealots had come and they were wanting to re- institute the proper sacrifices and the temple worship again.
137. But it was found that they had, of course, only enough holy anointing oilto last for one day, there in the candle set.
It took a period of about seven or eight daysto prepare this oil.
138. By divine miraclethe one-day supply lasteduntil they were able to get the new supply of oil compounded and made for the lights in the temple, and hence the Feast of Dedication, or Hanukkah, and even to the present day the lighting of the
139. nine candles to symbolize the miraculous preservation of the oil in the lamps during the period that they were preparing new oil for them.
Jesus was in Jerusalem for Hanukkah, in John, chapter 10.
140. Notice that it was in the middle of the winter.
The Feast of Dedicationit was called.
So the sanctuary was troddendownfor the 2,300 days.
Now the Lord interpretsthe whole thing for Daniel.
142. Daniel 8:15-17 NKJV
Gabriel Interprets the Vision
15Then it happened, when I, Daniel, had seen the vision and was seeking the meaning, that suddenly there stood before me one having the appearance of a man.
143. 16And I heard a man’s voice between the banks ofthe Ulai, who called, and said, “Gabriel, make this manunderstand the vision.”
144. 17So he came near where I stood, and when he came I was afraid and fell on my face; but he said to me, “Understand, son of man, that the vision refersto the time of the end.”
Daniel 8:15-17 NKJV
145. Gabriel is an interesting angel.
He's going to be a fun one to meet too.
We'll talk more about him next week as we meet him again in chapter 9.
146. He's the one that came to Mary and told her that she was to have a Child.
He came to Zachariasthe priest and let him know that his wife Elizabeth would have the child, John the Baptist.
147. He said, "How can I know this?" He said, "I'm Gabriel, I stand in the presence of God.
*Think I'd lie to you man?"
*He is a very interesting angel and here he's commanded, "Explain to the fellow what it's all about."
148. Now this vision is going to take you out to the time of the end.
149. Daniel 8:18-20 NKJV
18Now, as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep with my face to the ground; but he touched me, and stood me upright. 19And he said, “Look, I am making known to you what shall happen in the latter time
150. of the indignation; for at the appointed time the end shall be.
20The ram which you saw, having the two horns—they arethe kings of Media and Persia.
Daniel 8:18-20 NKJV
151. We don't need to question what is the ram, for he tells us.
152. Daniel 8:21 NKJV
21And the male goat isthe kingdom of Greece. The large horn that isbetween its eyes isthe first king.
153. And, of course, this is when Greece was nothing.
That is the first king during the time of its conquering.
*Philip, Alexander's father, did not conquer or begin any kind of a world conquest.
154. Daniel 8:22 NKJV
22As for the broken hornand the four that stood up in its place, four kingdomsshall arise out of that nation, but not with its power.
155. Alexander the Great died at age thirty-two and four kingdoms did arise out of his empire just like Daniel 8:22predicted!
156. Daniel 8:23-24 NKJV
23“And in the latter timeof their kingdom, When the transgressors have reached their fullness, A king shall arise, Having fierce features,
Who understands sinister schemes.
157. 24His power shall be mighty, but not by his own power; He shall destroy fearfully, And shall prosper and thrive; He shall destroy the mighty, and alsothe holy people.
Daniel 8:23-24 NKJV
158. And this, of course, is referring now to the antichrist.
but not by his own power;
*We read in Revelation 13 that this beast that rises out of the sea that Satan gives unto himhis authority and his power.
159. So this man of sinis going to arise; he's going to be tremendously powerful, but not his own power.
*It will be Satan's powerthat will be vested in him.
*All of the power of Satanwill be given unto man, this man.
160. "His power will be mighty, but not by his own power.“
He's going to make war against Israel, ultimately.
161. Daniel 8:25 NKJV
25“Through his cunningHe shall cause deceitto prosper under his rule; And he shall exalt himselfin his heart. He shall destroy many in theirprosperity.
162. He shall even rise against the Prince of princes; But he shall be brokenwithout humanmeans.
Daniel 8:25 NKJV
163. He is going to come on with a program of peace.
And be hailed, really, as the savior of the world.
He shall also stand up against the Prince of princes, but he will be broken without a hand (Daniel 8:25).
164. By the brightness of the coming of Jesus Christwith the Word that goes forth out of the mouth of Christ, the antichrist will be broken and destroyed without a hand touching him.
165. Daniel 8:26 NKJV
26“And the vision of the evenings and morningsWhich was told is true; Therefore seal up the vision, For it refersto many days in the future.”
166. God told Daniel to just close it because it isn't time yet.
167. Daniel 8:27 NKJV
27And I, Daniel, fainted and was sick for days; afterward I arose and went about the king’s business. I was astonished by the vision, but no one understood it.
168. It was all before the fact.
*No one understood it, he just wrote it.
*And, of course, that's an interesting thing.
*Daniel said, “Man, I don't understand it. This is weird but this is what it was.”
169. Now we look at it, we say, "Wow, that's so clear!
That's interesting how he could write with such clarity things that had not yet happened.
170. But that's because we're looking at it from our standpointand we can see where it was fulfilled.
Whereas Daniel probably thought, "Who, Grecia? Man, that little area of Grecia?
172. How can they ever destroy the Persian Empire?"
And yet, in time it all was fulfilled.
173. As we get into the ninth chapter of the book of Daniel, it possess the keyto the understanding of all of prophecy.
174. If you understandthe ninth chapter of the book of Daniel, the whole subject of prophecy will become very clear to you.
*If you're garbled on the ninth chapter of the book of prophecy, your whole prophetic picture will be garbled.
175. The ninth chapter is the keyto the understanding of the subject of prophecy.
And so we'll be spending a lot of time next Sunday in the ninth chapter because we don’t want to miss the key.
176. If you can get chapter nine, then prophecy shouldn't be a problemfor you ever.
Everything will fit together perfectly if you get this ninth chapter.
177. Next week we'll finish the book of Daniel, Lord willing.
But pay special attention to the ninth chapter of this prophecy of Daniel.
178. The Plan of Hope & Salvation
Romans 3:23 NKJV
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Romans 6:23a NKJV
23aFor the wages of sin is death,
Death in this life (the first death) is 100%. Even Jesus, the only one who doesn’t deserve death, died in this life to pay the penalty for our sins. The death referred to in Romans 6:23a is the second death explained in Revelation 21:8.
179. Revelation 21:8 NKJV
8“But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
Romans 6:23b NKJV
23bbut the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
180. Romans 5:8 NKJV
8But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Revelation 21:7 NKJV
7“He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.”
Romans 10:9-10 explains to us how to accept Jesus as our Savior.
181. Romans 10:9-10 NKJV
9that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:13 NKJV
13For “whoever calls on the name of the LORDshall be saved.”
182. If you have questions or would like to know more.
Please, contact First Baptist Church Jackson at
601-979-1900 or http://firstbaptistjackson.org/contact/