1. PARABLES OF JESUSThe Hidden Treasure andThe Fine PearlMatthew 16:44-46April 21, 2013FIRST BAPTIST CHURCHJACKSON, MISSISSIPPIUSA
2. References:THE COMPLETE GUIDE to the PARABLESBy R. T. KENDALL“Jesus Speaks to Anxious Hearts”Sermon by Rev. Darrell Johnson
3. Prophecy in Psalm 78Psalm 78:1-41 My people, hear my teaching; listen to the words ofmy mouth. 2 I will open my mouth with a parable; Iwill utter hidden things, things from of old— 3 thingswe have heard and known, things our ancestors havetold us. 4 We will not hide them from theirdescendants; we will tell the next generation thepraiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and thewonders he has done.Psalm 78:1-4
4. WHY PARABLES?•A simple story to illustrate a profound truth•Earthly example to illustrate a spiritual truth•Only target audience understood its meaning•The kingdom of heaven is like……..
5. The Kingdom of Heaven (God)•What is it?•“the rule of God in heaven and earth through Jesus asSavior”•The Lord’s Prayer - “…your kingdom come, your willbe done on earth as it is in heaven…”
6. Questions of the day?•What is most important to you?•What do you treasure most?•Can you place a value on everything?•Can you place a value on spiritual things?
7. MATTHEW 13:44-4644 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in afield. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then inhis joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchantlooking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of greatvalue, he went away and sold everything he had andbought it.MATTHEW 13:44-46
8. The Hidden Treasure by Rembrandt
9. The Pearl of Great Price by Fetti
10. Elements of the Hidden Treasure Parable•Treasure hidden in a field▫Treasure belonged to owner of field▫Treasure was worth more than the field▫Finder of treasure was not wealthy▫Finder did not steal the treasure▫The discovery was accidental
11. Elements of the Fine Pearl Parable•The fine pearl (pearl of great value)▫Merchant was seeking to find it▫Merchant was authority in pearls▫Merchant recognized the value of the pearl▫Pearl’s value was worth all merchant owned The find of a lifetime! The economy of using pearls
12. WHAT IS THE PARABLES’ FOCUS?•The focal point of the parables is the VALUE of thetreasure and fine pearl.•The treasure and fine pearl are worth any sacrifice inorder to possess them.•The kingdom of heaven is worth sacrificingeverything.
13. WHAT ARE THE PARABLES NOT SAYING?•They do not deal with moral or ethical issues of thesituation.▫Owner of field not told about treasure•Not referring to salvation by good works or buyingyou way into heaven•Parable used to illustrate a truth - Don’t overanalyze!
14. WHAT IS THE TREASURE & FINE PEARL?•Non-believer = salvation•Believer = salvation and spirit filled life•We (believers) are the merchant diligently seeking acloser walk and special relationship with God throughthe Holy Spirit.•Old Testament refers to this as wisdom and knowledgeof God
15. BIBLICAL EXAMPLES -SolomonProverbs 2:1-61 My son, if you accept my words and store up mycommands within you, 2 turning your ear to wisdom andapplying your heart to understanding — 3 indeed, if youcall out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, 4 andif you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hiddentreasure, 5 then you will understand the fear of the Lordand find the knowledge of God. 6 For the Lord giveswisdom; from his mouth come knowledge andunderstanding.Proverbs 2:1-6
16. Solomon on WisdomProverbs 4:7-97 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though itcost all you have, get understanding. 8 Cherish her, andshe will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you.9 She will give you a garland to grace your head andpresent you with a crown of splendor.Proverbs 4:7-9
17. The Apostle Paul1 Corinthians 1:30-31 (KJV)30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God ismade unto us wisdom, and righteousness, andsanctification, and redemption: 31 That, according as itis written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.1 Corinthians 1:30-31 (KJV)(Jesus has become wisdom for the believer)
18. THE TREASURE & FINE PEARL FOR THE BELIEVER•Understanding & wisdom about what is important inlife•“It’s not about me.” THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE•Realization about the purpose of your life•Revealed through the Holy Spirit
19. WHAT IS THIS TREASURE OR PEARL WORTH?•When you realize the purpose of life, worldly goodsare meaningless.•The treasure (kingdom of heaven) is worth more thanANYTHING you have on this earth!
20. Apostle Paul’s View of LifePhilippians 3:7-117 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for thesake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a lossbecause of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus myLord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider themgarbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, nothaving a righteousness of my own that comes from the law,but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousnessthat comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to knowChrist—yes, to know the power of his resurrection andparticipation in his sufferings, becoming like him in hisdeath, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrectionfrom the dead.Philippians 3:7-11
21. The Rich Young RulerMatthew 19:16, 21-2216 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher,what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell yourpossessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasurein heaven. Then come, follow me.” 22 When the young manheard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.Matthew 19:16, 21-22(NOTE: The finder of the hidden treasure went in joy to sellall he had.)
22. WHAT DID JESUS SAY ABOUT TREASURES?Matthew 6:19-2119 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,where moths and vermin destroy, and where thievesbreak in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselvestreasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do notdestroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will bealso.Matthew 6:19-21Treasures are present on earth (possessions) & in heaven(rewards).Your heart follows your treasure.
23. Earthly Treasures•Things that will not last – money, power, jobs,pleasure, etc.•You cannot take it with you – it does not go beyondyour earthly life.•It can be stolen.•You have to work to maintain it.▫Cars need repairs, jobs and power can change▫Pleasure has to be renewed and repeated.
24. Treasures in Heaven•They can be enjoyed now and in the future.▫Personal relationship with God▫Forgiveness of sins▫Peace and Joy•They are stored up for the future.▫Song: “Thank You For Giving To The Lord”•They cannot be stolen or lost – God is your securityguard!
25. Heavenly Treasures1 Timothy 6:17-1917 Command those who are rich in this present worldnot to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, whichis so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richlyprovides us with everything for our enjoyment.18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds,and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this waythey will lay up treasure for themselves as a firmfoundation for the coming age, so that they may takehold of the life that is truly life.1 Timothy 6:17-19
26. Your Heart Follows Your TREASUREMatthew 6:2121 For where your treasure is, there your heart will bealso.Matthew 6:21•Wherever your heart is, you will find your treasure.•Look at your checkbook, debit card and credit card.•Look at your calendar.
27. Jesus next teaches about your VISIONMatthew 6:22-2322 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes arehealthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But ifyour eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full ofdarkness. If then the light within you is darkness, howgreat is that darkness!Matthew 6:22-23•The believer has a clear view on the purpose of life andfocused on things of God (light).•The non-believer has vision that is clouded by the thingsof the world (darkness).
28. Jesus next teaches about your MASTERMatthew 6:2424 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hatethe one and love the other, or you will be devoted tothe one and despise the other. You cannot serve bothGod and money.Matthew 6:24•Pharisees taught devotion to God and devotion tomoney were perfectly compatible.•Jesus said you cannot serve both!
29. What is Money? Mammon?•Mammon in King James Version(KJV) translated tomoney in New International Version (NIV) of Bible.•Mammon is anything other than the living God intowhich we put our trust.•Mammon can be good things – they gain our trust(money, pleasure, etc.)•Sin of idolatry is to put trust in anything but God.
30. Quote from Frank Pollard“Man was made to have a MISSION, a MATE and aMASTER.”
31. TREASURE- VISION - MASTER•What happens when these 3 things are out ofalignment?Matthew 6:2525 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,what you will eat or drink; or about your body, whatyou will wear. Is not life more than food, and the bodymore than clothes?Matthew 6:25•Jesus answers: WORRY, ANXIETY•Trying to secure your future with earthly treasures•Worry – “lacking faith and not trusting”
32. JESUS’ CURE FOR WORRY•#1 – SHIFT THE FOCUS – “Look at the birds”Matthew 6:26-2726 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reapor store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Fatherfeeds them. Are you not much more valuable thanthey? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add asingle hour to your life ?Matthew 6:26-27•Start looking until you see the Father in everything!
33. Shift The Focus – “Look at the flowers”Matthew 6:28-3228 “And why do you worry about clothes? See howthe flowers of the field grow. They do not labor orspin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in allhis splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If thatis how God clothes the grass of the field, which ishere today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, willhe not much more clothe you—you of little faith?31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’32 For the pagans run after all these things, andyour heavenly Father knows that you need them.Matthew 6:28-32
34. CURE FOR WORRY #2 – Channel The EnergyMatthew 6:3333 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,and all these things will be given to you as well.Matthew 6:33•Focus on kingdom living.•What are my goals?•What am I seeking?
35. CURE FOR WORRY #3- Don’t Focus on TomorrowMatthew 6:3434 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, fortomorrow will worry about itself. Each day hasenough trouble of its own.Matthew 6:34•Tomorrow is a promise, not a possession.•Dont waste today worrying about tomorrow.
36. WORRY!!!!!•Worry happens when our TREASURE, our VISION,and our MASTER are out of alignment.•Matthew 6:25-34 – The Cure For Worry•Shift the focus – “Look at birds & flowers...”•Channel the energy – “Seek first….•Don’t focus on tomorrow.
37. TREASURE TEST1. What gives me a sense of security?1. What is my greatest delight and joy in life?1. What do I fear?1. Where do I resist God’s Word?1. What is it, if God took away, I would curse Him?
38. WHAT IS GOD’S GREATEST TREASURE?“YOU”John 3:1616 For God so loved the world that he gave his one andonly Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perishbut have eternal life.John 3:16