Product Placement and the
By: Samantha Triplett
What is Product Placement?
• Product placement is the subtle placing of
products that exposes them to the view
without the view seeing it as an ad
• It can be found in movies, television, and even
• Product Placement was originally intended to
make scenes more realistic
– The first modern form of Product Placement is said to
have been Reese’s Pieces in E.T.
• It’s estimated that 90% of movie and almost all
television product placements are free
• Studios profit from free props
• Companies receive free or cheaper advertising
• Obvious commercials are no longer as effective
• Companies becoming creative in how they reach
• Some product placements get as much air time as
a minor character
– Like Vitamin Water in an episode of Gossip Girl
Studies of Product Placement
• Product Placement improves the profits of the
– After the 1997 release of Men In Black, Ray-Ban
Predator 2 Sunglasses tripled their profits
– After placing Gatorade into EA sports video games
showed an increase of 24% of household money
being spent on Gatorade
– After Reese’s Pieces appeared on E.T. its sales
increased by 65%
How to Spot Product Placement
• Is it obvious?
• Do you recognize it?
• Is it visible?
When in Rome:
Product Placement in Movie Trailers
• This Youtube video for Transformers shows
(and points out) several instances of product
placement that appear in the movies.