View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
The BIG Project (Birthing in the Gambia) is
a Soroptimist International Great Britain &
Ireland (SIGBI) Project in partnership with
MCAI (Maternal and Childhealth Advocacy
THE BIG PROJECT (BIRTHING IN
Federation Project Ambassador, Rita Allen
PROGRAM OF EMERGENCY
MATERNAL, NEONATAL AND
Maternal and Childhealth Advocacy International (MCAI),
Advanced Life Support Group (ALSG) in collaboration with
Ministry of Health, WHO Geneva and Gambian WHO, UNICEF
and UNFPA offices
• The Gambia – a country that needs
– In The Gambia:
– l the average life expectancy is 58 years. In the UK, it
is 80 years.
– l a woman’s lifetime risk of maternal death is one in
56. In the UK, it is one in 4600.
– l out of every 100 000 live births, 360 mothers die. In
the UK, the figure is only 12.
– l only 57% of births are attended by a skilled health
worker (a doctor, nurse or midwife).
We support basic renovations not expensive new buildings
A perioperative nurse (left) receiving a box of vital emergency supplies at Basse
» Plans for year 3 of the BIG Project
– We will continue to provide emergency drugs and medical supplies for use in the
Gambian national health system.
– Renovation and refurbishment
• Essau’s Operating Theatre is also poorly equipped and unfit for purpose. Renovations
are due to begin here shortly and equipment will also be required. The £18,444 raised
through activities on the Day of Action will go toward this.
– The children’s ward at Brikama is dilapidated and ill-equipped. We are planning a
– The staff accommodation at Brikama is in desperate need of improvement and we
aim to renovate to improve staff morale and quality of life.
• We plan to fund another volunteer obstetrician to work between Basse and Brikama
• We are planning more Emergency Maternal and Neonatal Healthcare (EMNH) Courses
and Neonatal Care Courses.
– We continue to move forward with our plans to train midwives in emergency
Final year of The BIG Project
• The BIG Project will finish in 2014
• The Day of Action 2014 will be
Saturday 19th July.
• LETS MAKE IT A GOOD ONE!!