Be careful what to read on the Net about SEO. There are some techniques that could end up hurting your rank rather than helping.
Be careful what to read on the Net about SEO. There are some techniques that could end up hurting your rank rather than helping.
1. My 5 Secrets Tips for Winning inSearchLearn how to get more traffic from GoogleMark Vozzo, Salesforce.comOnline Manager (APAC)Head of Inbound and Marketing Operations Cloudforce Essentials Hash Tag: #cloudforce Presenter: @markvozzo These slides are available on our blog: http://blogs.salesforce.com/au
2. Safe harbor Safe harbor statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: This presentation may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties, and assumptions. If any such uncertainties materialize or if any of the assumptions proves incorrect, the results of salesforce.com, inc. could differ materially from the results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements we make. All statements other than statements of historical fact could be deemed forward-looking, including any projections of product or service availability, subscriber growth, earnings, revenues, or other financial items and any statements regarding strategies or plans of management for future operations, statements of belief, any statements concerning new, planned, or upgraded services or technology developments and customer contracts or use of our services. The risks and uncertainties referred to above include – but are not limited to – risks associated with developing and delivering new functionality for our service, new products and services, our new business model, our past operating losses, possible fluctuations in our operating results and rate of growth, interruptions or delays in our Web hosting, breach of our security measures, the outcome of intellectual property and other litigation, risks associated with possible mergers and acquisitions, the immature market in which we operate, our relatively limited operating history, our ability to expand, retain, and motivate our employees and manage our growth, new releases of our service and successful customer deployment, our limited history reselling non-salesforce.com products, and utilization and selling to larger enterprise customers. Further information on potential factors that could affect the financial results of salesforce.com, inc. is included in our annual report on Form 10-Q for the most recent fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2012. This documents and others containing important disclosures are available on the SEC Filings section of the Investor Information section of our Web site. Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other presentations, press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make the purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com, inc. assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward- looking statements.
3. About Me Mark Vozzo @MarkVozzo • +10 years in Digital Marketing • Started as a Webmaster & Developer • Self taught SEO in late 90’s • Worked in Media, Technology, B2B & B2C Fairfax Media Microsoft Salesforce Search Marketing Analyst (News & Search and Online Analytics Online Manager, APAC (Inbound & Media Group) Manager, ANZ Marketing Ops) 3
4. Agenda About Search Engines  How do Search Engines work  The Australian Search Landscape  Difference between SEO vs. SEM My 5 Secrets to Search Success  1. Analytics  2. Keyword Research  3. Crawl-ability  4. Content  5. Connections  BONUS: 6. Free SEO Tools Q&A
5. AboutSearch Engines
6. Looks simple……but a lot is happening behind the search box. Google’s Algorithm is a Secret It looks at 200+ factors Is Updated Frequently
7. Search Engine Market Share in Australia “Google dominates with 9 out of every 10 searches in Australia.” Source: April 2011- Hitwise
8. How doSearch Engines Work?
9. How does a Search Engine work? Search EngineWebsite Spider Web Browser Search Box Web Server Spam Filter Search App. Search Results HTML, Imag ____________________ ____________________ es, etc. ____________________ ____________________ ________________ Index
10. SEM vs. SEO – What‟s the Difference?SEM - SearchEngine Marketing(Paid Search/PPC):SEO - SearchEngineOptimisation(Organic Search):
11. Eye Tracking Study SEM PaidSEO Search ResultsOrganic AreaSearchResults Area “75%+ of all clicks occur in the Organic (SEO) area, not Paid (SEM) area.” Source: http://www.slideshare.net/randfish/seo-for-food-bloggers-2012
12. What‟s so great about Ranking #1? Position Avg. Click-thru-rate (CTR)* #1 36.4% #2 12.5% #3 9.5% #4 7.9% #5 6.1% #6 x4 4.1% #7 3.8% #8 3.5% #9 3.0% #10 2.2% * Source: http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2049695/Top-Google- Result-Gets-36.4-of-Clicks-Study “90% of all clicks happen on the 1st page of Google results. If a user doesn‟t find what they are looking, they try again with a different keyword.”
13. SEOMy 5 Secrets Tips
14. Web Analytics Keywords Content Crawl-ability Connections“I like Venn diagrams. Here is my SEO framework to Search Success.”
15. Are you running Web Analytics on your site? Source: 2010 Australian Web Analytics Survey by Bienalto.com “Tip: Setup Google.com/Analytics (it‟s free) and use Google.com/tagmanager, it‟s free as well.”
16. What are some important searchmetrics?- Is SEO Traffic increasing and converting?- What SEO keywords are driving traffic?- What % is Search traffic? “Great SEO will build on itself! If you provide consistent, quality content/posts, this will lead to natural growth in referrals.”
17. Professional Analytics Help & AdviceBelow are a few reputable agencies that I know of: Panalysis.com - Rod Jacka Bienalto.com - HurolInan LovesData.com - Michael Mangold iZillaSearchAndDisplay.com.au - Marcus Falley Datalicious.com - Christian Bartens “These agencies are based in Australia. I know the owners/founders of each consultancy and can highly recommend them.”
18. Action List1. Web Analytics: Setup & Start Measuring.
19. Web Analytics  Keywords ContentCrawl-ability Connections
20. Keyword ResearchWhich words do I use?
21. Understand your Customer‟s Frustrations & QuestionsSource Image: http://thematchupszone.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/confused.jpg
22. The Keywords Research Process Searchers Search Engines Content External Sites Blogs Social Networking sites News sites Keywords Keywords on your web Keywords entered in the Search pages Used in Links Box “The Keyword Research process begins with a clear understanding of your customer, their pain points/problems and what solutions/products they are searching for.”
23. My„Keyword Research‟ Story
24. Let‟s say we want to invest in one of these……but what do Aussie’s type into Google… “Property” OR “Real Estate” ?
25. Google Trends (free)www.google.com/trends Features: Compare up to 5 different terms. Filter for Worldwide or Local trends Discover other related terms that you can add to your keyword list.
26. What are the most popular search terms?https://adwords.google.com/o/KeywordTool Features: Can compare beyond 5 Keywords. This tool uses Adwords data, so use “Exact” match type for more accurate SEO traffic. Discover other related terms.
27. Some tips on how to expand your keyword set… Navigation Keywords Searching for your brand, domain name, office locations E.g. “Salesforce”, "Salesforce.com“, “Salesforce Sydney Office” Information Keywords Searching for solutions and seeking knowledge E.g. "What is CRM“, "What is Cloud Computing“, “Benefits of SAAS”, “Best CRM for…”, “How to Setup a CRM System” Transaction Keywords Searching with the intent of buying E.g. "Salesforce Pricing“, “Where to Buy Salesforce”, “How to Buy CRM” “Put yourself in your customer‟s shoes… What would you type into Google to find your business? Use the above to help you build out your list of target keywords.”
28. Action List1. Web Analytics: Setup & Start Measuring.2. Keywords: What are your Top 10-20 Keywords.
29. Web Analytics  Keywords  ContentCrawl-ability Connections
30. Three C‟s to SEO Content (Unique + High Value) Crawl-ability Connections (Technical + (Links + Authority) sitemaps)
31. What is a Search Engine Spider/Crawler/Robot? Search Engine Spider Spam Filter Search App. Index
32. Crawl-ability Search Engines Spiders Can only read plain text Can only follow text links Cannot read words within images
33. How many pages of my site are in Google‟s Index? Search Engine Spider Spam Filter Search App. Index “Rule to Remember: Zero pages indexed = Zero Traffic from SEO.”
34. How many pages of my web site are inthe Search Index? Advanced Search Operator = [ site:your-domain.com ] No. of Results: Google = 2,160 Bing = 561
35. A“Crawl-ability” Story
36. Crawl-ability Story: FuturesMagazine.Asia 100’s of articles, Zero Traffic from Search Engines
37. How many pages have been indexed?
38. How did I fix it?
39. How to fix crawl-ability issues?1. Build a “Sitemap” page with text links to all the most important pages of your site.2. Link to this “Sitemap” page in the footer across all pages of your site
40. Action List1. Web Analytics: Setup & Start Measuring.2. Keywords: What are your Top 10-20 Keywords.3. Crawl-ability: Check web pages are in the index [site:your-domain.com]
41. Three C‟s to SEO Content (Unique + High Value) Crawl-ability Connections (Technical + (Links + Authority) sitemaps) 
42. Meet customers needs
43. How do I know what mycustomers need?
44. How to Source Content Ideas? Use your Search Box “Make sure you have content to meet customers needs. Use Internal Search data to identify content gaps.”
45. Meet customers needs Optimised Meta Tags
46. The Anatomy of a Search Result “Snippet”Title Tag – 68 Characters Max.HTML: <title> ... </title> Description Tag – Focus on the first 160 Characters HTML: <meta name=“description” content=“…” />
47. Meet customers needs Optimised Meta Tags Unique
48. Avoid Duplicate Titles and Descriptions Identical Page Descriptions. “Always publish unique content. If you have duplicate pages, Google is only going to index one URL.”
49. Google Webmaster Tools (Free)http://www.google.com/webmasters Duplicate Titles and Meta Description Report “ All this insight, for free.”
50. How to project manage a SEO project? List the pages Assign Primary & Work Keywords in to you want to Secondary Titles & Page Descriptions optimize. Keywords “SEO is Science + Art. Choose keywords that are popular (the Science part), work the keyword variations in to sentences that read well & entice action (the Art part).”
52. Example for a Flash based site Nice Keyword rich content, lovely images, superb portfolio etc. all built in Adobe Flash.
53. Why are Flash Sites a nightmare to SEO? This website only has 1 page in Google’s index. A few reasons not to have a Flash based website: 1) Google can’t crawl inside proprietary Flash code 2) Only one chance to be listed, no matter how much content you have 3) Your site won’t work on an iPad
54. Action List1. Web Analytics: Setup & Start Measuring.2. Keywords: What are your Top 10-20 Keywords.3. Crawl-ability: Check web pages are in the index [site:your-domain.com]4. Content: Select pages for your SEO project. Assign keywords, write meta data and content that is unique & of value.
55. Three C‟s to SEO  Content (Unique + High Value) Crawl-ability Connections (Technical + (Links + Authority) sitemaps) 
56. Links make your website strong 1 Link = 1 Vote 4 types of links: Internal Outbound Inbound Broken
57. Be careful with whom you engage with… “Frankly, no SEO at all is better than using one of the „quick and cheap”‟SEO services.” Source: http://www.copyblogger.com/dangerous-seo @soniasimone “You should run from any firm that „guarantees No. 1 rank‟. Google cracks down on businesses that sell links to game their algorithm.”
58. The power of Link TextThe “Click Here” Story
59. Let‟s look at sites that link to Adobe‟s page…
60. Adobe‟s page has over 13 Million Links fromacross 535K domains “Look at the keywords used in links to your website.”
64. Action List1. Web Analytics: Setup & Start Measuring.2. Keywords: What are your Top 10-20 Keywords.3. Crawl-ability: Check web pages are in the index [site:your-domain.com]4. Content: Select pages for your SEO project. Assign keywords, write meta data and content that is unique & of value.5. Connections: Use keywords in your links. Refrain from buying links. Fix broken links.
65. SEO ToolsSome of my favourite & free SEO tools?
66. Check your Links (and your competitors) www.OpenSiteExplorer.org or www.backlinkwatch.com
67. Competitor Backlink Analysis
68. Google Webmaster Tools (Free)http://www.google.com/webmasters “Remember: Google provide over 90% of all search queries in Australia. Best to leverage their tools.”
69. Google Webmaster Tools (Free)http://www.google.com/webmasters Top Pages Report “This report tells us me often our Top Pages appear in the Search results and are clicked on (CTR = Click Through Rate).”
70. Google Webmaster Tools (Free)http://www.google.com/webmasters Top Keywords Report “This report tells me the Top Search Queries that resulted in one of our pages appearing in the Search Results and how many clicks we got.”
71. Google Webmaster Tools (Free)http://www.google.com/webmasters Site Performance Report (Site Speed) “This report tells us how long it takes Google to crawl our site. A “slow” rating would suggest we need to change hosting providers, upgrade our CMS System/Servers.”
72. Google Webmaster Tools - Helpwww.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQmq9X5lQw Tips - Subscribe to GoogleWebmasterHelpYoutube Channel - Follows these folks at Google: Matt Cutts @mattcutts MaileOhye @maileohye “If you are serious about doing SEO yourself or in house, invest time into learning how to use Google Webmaster Tools. It could save you $1,000 in SEO agency fees.”
73. SEO for Salesforcehttp://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N300000018rOtEAI SEO for Salesforce helps you identify which keywords will drive revenue, and helps you get to the top of search engines. More importantly, robust reporting makes it easy to show how SEO impacts your company’s bottom line.
74. Local SEO Help is available… Stew Art Media - http://stewartmedia.biz 2a/14 Lionel Rd, Mt Waverley, VIC. 3149 Ph: +61 3 8545 5900 @StewArtMedia Contact: Jim Stewart FirstClick Consulting - http://www.firstclickconsulting.com Suite 1.03, 164-168 Greville Street, Prahran, VIC, 3181 Ph: +61 3 9945 8179 @first_click Contact: Mark Armstrong
75. To Sum Up…
76. Action List1. Web Analytics: Setup & Start Measuring.2. Keywords: What are your Top 10-20 Keywords.3. Crawl-ability: Check web pages are in the index [site:your-domain.com]4. Content: Select pages for your SEO project. Assign keywords, write meta data and content that is unique & of value.5. Connections: Use keywords in your links. Refrain from buying links. Fix broken links.6. BONUS – SEO Tools: Use Google Webmaster Tools to uncover SEO issues.
77. Question Time Mark Vozzo Email: email@example.com LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/markvozzo Twitter: @markvozzo Event: #cloudforce Download slides at: http://blogs.salesforce.com/au
80. More Resources: Articles, eBooks and Videos 9 Tips for Writing Effective SEO Content – Marketing Profs 10 Ways to make your business Google Friendly from Google’s Chief Technology Advocate - SmartCompany Google’s SEO Starter Guide (PDF Download) 6 Part video on the Google SEO Starter Guide - Thanks Aussie Web Conversion (Brisbane) firstname.lastname@example.org
82. Who to trust?Be careful what you read about SEO…
83. Credible Sources that I refer to… smallbusinesssem.com @MattMcGee bruceclay.com/au/seo-hierarchy-of-needs.htm @BruceClay “Rely only on reputable sources. I have printouts of these up on my pin board in the office.”
84. Search Engine Ranking Factorshttp://seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors Rand Fishkin www.seomoz.org @RandFish “An excellent resource. See what a panel of SEO experts from across the world are seeing.”
85. Search Engine Ranking Factorshttp://seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors Rand Fishkin www.seomoz.org @RandFish “An excellent resource. See what a panel of SEO experts from across the world are seeing.”