Apt. 819, 222 ELM ST., Toronto, ON M5T 1K5
Seeking a development chemical software position that can best utilize my over ten years of
experience in Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry and Software Programming.
Chief of Senior Research Scientist (2004 – 2005)
Beijing Pharmacy Tech. CO., Ltd., Beijing, CHINA
• Led a group to synthesize zolmitriptan with new synthesis route to improve its overall yield and
purity. The target compound has been on scales of up to 1Kg.
• Designed a new synthesis route to synthesize resveratrol (trans-3,4',5-trihydroxystilbene). The
starting materials and chemical reagents were very cheap and no tough experiment condition
• Modified the structure of known medicine which was extracted from Chinese plant and had lower
water dissolution. A modified compound had very good dissolution in water and its activity was
better than the original from the animal experiment.
• Led the Department of Organic Synthesis and made a technique decision for the company.
Research Assistant (2003 - 2004)
College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
• Synthesized some phosphate compounds to study the mechanism of enzyme reaction with
• Established and maintained the inventory of chemicals in the lab with the software FileMaker Pro
• Organized the laboratory and maintained some instruments.
Research Assistant (2001 - 2002)
College of Pharmacy, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
• Synthesized a series of boron compounds as potential Boron Neutron Capture Therapy (BNCT)
• Developed software Isotope Pattern Calculator 4.0, which is most popular software among same
function software. Please check it on http://www.geocities.com/junhuayan/pattern.htm
• Established the database of hundreds of compounds synthesized in the lab with the software
• Maintained instruments in the lab to keep them to work well.
Senior Software Developer (1998 – 2000)
China Financial Information Technology Company, Ltd, Beijing, China
• Designed and developed the Database System of Querying and Administrating Chemical
• Designed and developed the Office-Auto Information System for China Financial Information
Technology Company, Ltd with Lotus Notes 4.6.1.
• Designed and developed the Office-Auto Information System for General Office of Ministry of
Finance, China with Lotus Notes R5.
• Designed and developed the Office-Auto Information System for the Finance Department of
Caozhou, Guangdong Province, China with Lotus Notes R5.
• Debugged and modified the Management of Finance and Accounting For Enterprise(SXKJ v3.2)
with Power Builder 5.0.
• Led a group to build MIS system and trained the administrators of Lotus Notes R5.0 and
Microsoft Windows NT server 4.0. for Finance Department of Caozhou, Guangdong Province,
• Involved in developing the FOAS 2000 for Ministry of Finance of the People's Republic of
• Mentored primary developers on Lotus Notes R5 and Powerbuilder.
Research Associate (1992 – 1998)
Beijing Institute of Pharmacology & Toxicology, Beijing, China
• Designed and developed the Recording Time Smart, which could record and count the time
everyone spent on browsing over the internet with Visual C++ 5.0 for the Beijing Institute of
Pharmacology & Toxicology.
• Designed and developed the Molecular Weight Calculator with Visual C++ 5.0.
• Designed and developed Molecular Weight Calculator for Combination Molecular Library
with Visual C++ 5.0.
• Designed and developed Database System of Querying and Administrating Chemical
Reagents with Power Builder 6.5.
• Designed and developed the System of Querying and Administrating Clients for the Centurywill
Advertisement Company with Power Builder 6.5.
• Responsible for software and hardware maintenance for Beijing Institute of Pharmacology &
Toxicology and troubleshoot the office applications alongside network administration.
• Gained experience in the usage and configuration of Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (server &
workstation), Lotus Notes 4.6, MS Office 97 Suite, Remote ISP access software, Internet Explorer
4.0, CS Chem Office 98(Chem3D, ChemFinder, ChemDraw), ISIS/Draw etc.
• Designed and synthesized a series of heterocycle compounds as new potential detoxic.
• Calculated the electric properties of heterocycle compounds with Computer Assisting Designing
Pharmacy Technique on the SGI Graphic workstation.
• Labeled some compounds with 3H by microwave labeling method.
• Synthesized and labeled 3-(2-phenyl-2-cyclopentyl-2-hydroxyethoxy)[3-3H] quinuclidine and its
• Synthesized buspirone and its derivatives and labeled them with 2H successfully.
• Led an organic synthesis group (4 persons).
• Mentored postgraduate students the subject courses, 1H-NMR Spectrum, 13C-NMR Spectrum,
Advanced Organic Chemistry.
• Trained the staff in the Department of Organic Synthesis how to browse on the internet with
Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Postgraduate (1989 – 1992)
Beijing Institute of Pharmacology & Toxicology, Beijing, China
• Designed and synthesized a series of diamino-dithiol(N2S2) complexes as new brain imaging
• Labeled diamino-dithiol(N2S2) complexes with 99
Tcm and got high labeling ratio and radioactive
• Hardware IBM PC's
SGI Graphics Workstation
Compaq 8000 series Windows NT server
• O. S. MS Windows (NT 4.0, 95,98, Me, 2000 and XP)
• Languages C++
VBA for MS Word
• GUI MS Visual C++ 4.2, 5.0, 6.0
Power Builder 5.0, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0
Lotus Notes 4.6.1, R5
Visual Basic 5.0, 6.0
• Database SQL Anywhere 5.0
Microsoft SQL Server 6.5, 7.0
Microsoft Access 2.0
Microsoft Excel 5.0, 9x, 2000, 2003, XP
• Tools Lotus Notes 4.6.1, 5.0
InstallShield Professional 5.0, 5.5
Microsoft Office 9x, 2K, 2003, XP
Microsoft InterDev 6.0
CS Chem Office 98, 2000, 2005
Netscape Navigator (all versions)
Internet Explorer (all versions)
Opera (all versions)
FrontPage 98 (all versions)
Adobe PhotoShop(all versions)
Cute FTP (all versions)
WS FTP(all versions)
• Methodology Design Patterns, OOP
• Over 3 years experience developing software, administrating, troubleshooting and maintaining
operating systems and hardware in a LAN and WAN environment.
• A very strong studying ability.
• Strong teamwork skills.
• A strong background in organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry, including the ability to
conduct multi-step synthesis sequences, chromatographic purification (Flash Column
Chromatography, Preparative TLC,TLC) and spectral interpretations.
• A strong experience in synthesizing and labeling compounds with radioisotopes and stable
isotope. Such as 99Tcm, 3H and 2H.
• A strong experience in laboratory skills, including knowledge of modern analytical instrument of
UV spectrometer, IR spectrometer, GC-MS, HPLC and NMR etc.
• Some skills in pharmacological experiments in vitro and in vivo.
• Clear written and oral communication skills in English.
• Ability to work effectively, independently and develop strong collaborative relationships with
08/1989 - 07/1992
Beijing Institute of Pharmacology & Toxicology, China
M.S. Medicine Chemistry, Graduation Date: 07/1992
09/1985 - 07/1989
JianXi Normal University, NanChang, JiangXi Province, China
B.S. Chemistry, Graduation Date: 07/1989
HONOURS AND AWARDS
• The second prize of Science Technique Progress Award in the Ministry of Public Health,
• The second prize of Computer Intelligence Competition Award in the Academy of Medical
Science, Beijing, China. 1997.
1. Youngjoo Byun, Junhua Yan, Ashraf S. Al-Madhoun, Jayaseharan Johnsamuel, Weilian Yang,
Rolf F. Barth, Staffan Eriksson and Werner Tjarks. Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Neutral
and Zwitterionic 3-Carboranyl Thymidine Analogues (3CTAs) for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy.
J. Med. Chem., 2005, 48(4): 1188-1198.
2. Byun, Y.; Yan, J.; Al-Madhoun, A. S.; Johnsamuel, J.; Yang, W.;Barth, R. F.; Eriksson, S.; Tjarks,
W. The synthesis and biochemical evaluation of thymidine analogues substituted with nido
carborane at the N-3 position. Appl. Radiat. Isot. 2004, 61:1125-1130.
3. Jayaseharan Johnsamuel, Nisha Lakhi, Ashraf S. Al-Madhoun, Youngjoo Byun, Junhua Yan,
Staffan Eriksson and Werner Tjarks. Synthesis of ethyleneoxide modified 3-carboranyl thymidine
analogues and evaluation of their biochemical, physicochemical, and structural properties. Bioorg.
Med. Chem. 2004, 12 (18): 4769-4781.
4. Junhua Yan, Charlotta Naeslund, Ashraf S. Al-Madhoun, Werner Tjarks et al. Synthesis and
Biological Evaluation of 3’-Carboranyl Thymidine Analogues. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2002, 12
5. Ashraf S. Al-Madhoun, Jayaseharan Johnsamuel, Junhua Yan, Weihua Ji, Jianghai Wang,
Werner Tjarks, et al. Synthesis of a Small Library of 3-(Carboranylalkyl)thymidines and Their
Biological Evaluation as Substrates for Human Thymidine Kinases 1 and 2. J. Med. Chem. 2002,
6. Sudimack, J.J.; Adams, D.; Rotaru, J.; Shukla, S.; Yan, J.; Sekido, M.; Barth, R.F.; Tjarks, W., et
al. Folate Receptor-Mediated Liposomal Delivery of a Lipophilic Boron Agent to Tumor Cells in
Vitro for Neutron Capture Therapy. Pharm. Res., 2002, 19(10): 1502-1508.
7. Yan Junhua, Li Deyou, Chen Lanfu, et al. Progress in development of diamino-dithiol complexes
as brain imaging agent. Isotopes. 1998, 11(1): 56-66
8. Yan Junhua, Li Deyou, Chen Lanfu, et al. The Tcm-labeling of diamino-dithiol complexes as
brain imaging agents and preliminary bio-distribution. Isotopes. 1997, 10(2): 78-83
9. Li Deyou, Yan Junhua, Wu Liang, Chen Lanfu, et al. Preparation of 3-(2-phenyl-2-cyclopentyl-2-
hydroxyethoxy)[3-3H]quinuclidine. Isotopes. 1996, 9(3): 151-153
10. Yan Junhua, Chen Lanfu, Li Deyou, et al. Synthesis of diamino-dithiol complexes as new brain
imaging agents. Chinese Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 1992, 2(4): 1-9
1. A.S. Al-Madhoun, W. Ji, J. Johnsamuel, J. Yan, N. Lakhi, W. Tjarks, et al. The Biological
Evaluation of a Small Library of 3-(Carboranylalkyl) thymidines as Substrates for Human
Thymidine Kinases 1 and 2. Research and Development in Neutron Capture Therapy,
Proceedings of the 10th International Congress on Neutron Capture Therapy. Essen, Germany,
Septermber 8-13, 2002.
2. Yan Junhua, Chen Lanfu, Li Deyou, et al. Study of the methods of synthesizing and labeling
diamino-dithiol complexes. The second National Conference of Labeling Compounds.
Guiyang, China, Oct., 1992.
Available upon request.