Items adapted from Hinduja & Patchin 2008 n= over 1900 Cyberbullied others 17.6, Been Cyberbullied
Parents and online technologies: Parental Awareness of Youth Online Behaviors & Predicting Resistance to Protective Strategies (Sahara Byrne)
“What do I think you’re doing?!”
Sahara Byrne email@example.com
Department of Communication
Parental Awareness of Youth
Online Behaviors & Predicting
Resistance to Protective
• What are kids doing with
• What do we think they are
• What can we do to guide/protect
• WHEN are strategic efforts to protect kids
likely to be met with resistance?
• WHY does this happen?
• WHAT can be done to prevent resistance?
• Internet survey
• 456 parents across USA
• Matched child (10-17 years old) pairs
• Parents: how much would you support
• Kids: how would you feel if your parent
• Parenting style
– When it’s hard to talk to mom and dad
– Authoritarian and permissive
– Even authoritative have challenges
• Values (security)
• Older teen for more restrictive
• BEST Strategies:
– Empowering children to protect themselves
– Government and Industry responsibility
• WORST Strategies
– Parental access
– Blocks & Filters
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.