View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Food must be •
What is more healthy?
gatas ng kalabaw
Coke / Coke Lite
Birch Tree / Nesvita
What are genetically modified
They are organisms, e.g., crops, which
are altered by changing its gene sequence
in order to induce a certain desired trait.
How GMOs are created
• The DNA is made up
of genes. A gene from
another individual or
species is inserted in
the DNA of the host
organism. E.g., the
gene of bacteria is
inserted into the DNA
Why are GMOs created?
• to kill a crop’s pest, e.g.‘corn borer’ :
e.g., Bt corn
• to make the crop herbicide-resistant:
e.g.,Round-up ready corn
• to kill the virus attacking the crop:
e.g., Bt papaya
• to add nutrients:
e.g., Golden rice
• for bigger and faster growth:
Are GMOs safe to eat?
• No one knows for sure.
• No long term studies on safety of any GMO
crop as human food has ever been done.
But there is growing evidence
that GMOs are hazardous
of GMOs seen
Starlink Corn epidemic
Bt pollen -allergies in Mindanao farms
Aspartame linked to MS Symptoms
GM Soya baby food -Infant deaths
GM insulin -- extreme fatigue and myalgia
GM hepatitis B vaccine - chronic fatigue and myalgia.
BT cotton - extreme allergies
50% increase in soya allergies
Modern diseases linked to GMOs
• Cancer – Americans have a 41% chance of
American Cancer Society
• Diabetes - There are 25.8 million people in the
United States, or 8.3% of the population, who have
American Diabetes Association
• Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD Approximately 9.5% or 5.4 million children 4-17
years of age have ever been diagnosed with ADHD,
as of 2007.
American Psychiatric Association
Laboratory animals have shown growth,
organ and immunity defects
Wildlife has been affected
• Kills also non-target species, e.g.
monarch butterfly. Pollinators are affected.
T he food chain / web is affected.
How do GMOs get into our food
• Processed food – Use flour, sugar and
oil from Bt corn, soya,
• Seeds for planting
• Chickens, pigs and cows are fed GMOs
Countries which plant the most
55 million hectares
Soya - 91%
Maize – 73%
Cotton – 87%
Canada - 6
Consumers in countries or provinces that
have rejected planting of GM crops
And many more…
• Because of Intellectual Property Rights
agreements, only a handful of multinational
companies will control the food of the
The Food and Drug Administration has
announced that GMOs are safe. What is its
Government supports GMO agriculture rather
than organic farming, has resisted GMO
• Consumers of the Philippines, of
the world! –
What can we do as consumers?
1. Avoid food with GMOs
• Guideline: foods with corn and soya derivatives, high
2. Patronize organic food.
3. Eat / buy local, unprocessed, organic
4. Fight for our right to safe food
5. Ask your congressmen to support the labeling
6. Campaign against the planting of GMOs on
Let us all all work for
Safe food, safe planet.